Lumia 920 Jailbreaking Video(Dec 29 updates)

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920 Jailbreaking Coming Soon

No one makes you jailbreak your device. Everyone who does not "like the concept", you dont have to worry about anything, you can continue as you are.

If the security of the eco system is compromised it does affect everyone. And if the cheap b@st@rds who give apps one star because you have to pay $1.99 for something someone labored for months to create start pirating apps that will affect everyone.

For years the one thing I wanted to do was jail break my windows phone. Now with so many apps appearing daily and awesome phones like the 1520 dropping I don't see a need to compromise the security of the ecosystem for a few trivial tweaks.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

If the security of the eco system is compromised it does affect everyone. And if the cheap b@st@rds who give apps one star because you have to pay $1.99 for something someone labored for months to create start pirating apps that will affect everyone.

For years the one thing I wanted to do was jail break my windows phone. Now with so many apps appearing daily and awesome phones like the 1520 dropping I don't see a need to compromise the security of the ecosystem for a few trivial tweaks.

You don't seem to get his point, a jailbreak DOES use a vulnerability, but in most cases you're not in danger. Example: For most iOS jailbreaks (current ones), you need to connect your phone to a pc, and without unlocking the device it's not possible to jailbreak it. Additionally, you get a package to install with the jailbreak to fix the vulnerability, if there is one that can harm your device. Examples: jailbreakme (both of them). Of course, these are only iOS examples, but I highly doubt that it'd take long to get such a fix when (if) the hacker who developed the jailbreak didn't deliver it directly. And you always have the choice of not jailbreaking, if the used vulnerability can harm your device, you'll get an update by MS.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

lol. Oh but back in the day, it was the very opposite. Users loved Windows Mobile for its customization abilities. -those were the good ole days...

Yeah but you take the most customized Windows Mobile phone from "the good ole days" and it won't hold a candle to the 1520 that MSFT was giving away free a couple of weeks ago. I customized because a lot of stuff didn't work well. With all my customizations I never had anything that worked as well as the Lumia 900 and now the 1520 is out. The stuff people are saying is amazing is trivial. I mean are people interior decorators? I hardly even notice the color of my live tiles let alone long for a particular shade of fuchsia. Seems like a rather silly reason to compromise the security of your device.

swimmer160

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

Is there really a huge demand for this? I thought the beauty of WP was it's simplicity and lack of "hacks".

emptyy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Necessity asides, it is a sign that there are more developers are paying attentions in WP community, and it's glad to see more possibilities on WP.

Chesmez

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

As i have said earlier, piracy will discourage developers, and we don't want that.

There?s a lot of piracy going on with Android and iOS (Cydia and stuff like that). But many of the developers still choose to develop for those operating systems. I don?t think any developers think that piracy is good (I sure as hell don?t) but they?ve come to realise that only a minority of the users choose piracy or even think of it as an option. No piracy won?t discourage developers. Just take PCs as an example. Hundreds of people using PC use hacked games, but game developers still make a lot of games for PCs.

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920 Jailbreaking Coming Soon(Dec 28 updates)

The difference is those developers cant afford to discontinue development for iOS, Android Or PC, mainly because that's where they get most of their money because they have a big market share. To be quite frank windows phone cant afford to lose any app developer's. Piracy is not the way forward

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

There?s a lot of piracy going on with Android and iOS (Cydia and stuff like that). But many of the developers still choose to develop for those operating systems. I don?t think any developers think that piracy is good (I sure as hell don?t) but they?ve come to realise that only a minority of the users choose piracy or even think of it as an option. No piracy won?t discourage developers. Just take PCs as an example. Hundreds of people using PC use hacked games, but game developers still make a lot of games for PCs.
Don't think for a minute that if piracy becomes an easy path to "ownership" of a game, that people won't flock to that path. Here's a great study on the subject:
What happens when pirates play a game development simulator and then go bankrupt because of piracy? | Greenheart GamesGreenheart Games

emptyy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

As if Windows Phone platform is so important that developers can't give it up, lol. Windows Phone only have a tiny market and developers make times of more profit from iOS and Android than Windows Phone, wouldn't piracy hurts the interest of developers and one step more strike the passion?

emptyy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Meh, I am not going to get too excited here. The translation is way too vague, plus it's not yet released. What's defined as Jaipbreak? Dev unlock? Interop? Full?

So until there's a release I am going not to care. Once its released and it is evident what in includes, I might be interested.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

lol, what a arrogant person you are, you don't care right now? who cares what you care? just never come back lol

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

It's staggering how many people went straight to pirating only 24 hours after the game was released.
Yeah...

And do not mistake my campaign against piracy to mean that I have never done it. When I had a Commodore 64, I was in a "computer club" that was essentially a couple dozen people meeting at the public library once a month with a box of blank disks and a list of "this is what I have - what do you have to trade?" I've done my share of piracy, but I've come to realize the cost of that piracy, so I now campaign against it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Yeah...

And do not mistake my campaign against piracy to mean that I have never done it. When I had a Commodore 64, I was in a "computer club" that was essentially a couple dozen people meeting at the public library once a month with a box of blank disks and a list of "this is what I have - what do you have to trade?" I've done my share of piracy, but I've come to realize the cost of that piracy, so I now campaign against it.

I think another difference is that the older piracy wasn't as big an issue due to lack of quality. The mix tape made on a cheap cassette recorder didn't concern the recording industry, but the digital movie with as good quality as official DVD release is a concern to the MPAA.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I know a lot about piracy, as I have owned two record labels...

My personal opinion here is that even though yes, every cent lost by the developer is a cent lost, it will not become a huge issue or a problem for the whole platform.

If we look at current situation and that 920 would get this, how many of those users will even apply that to their device? Like said this needs a computer and some skill to perform certain operations with it. And from those, how many are in it only to pirate apps? Remember also, pirated apps will not get updates etc, so there is direct downside to it. Games wont be able to save achievents etc... These apps and games cost few dollars. Not the same thing as some console game that costs 70usd.

Naaaah, not a major issue for the whole platform like some people seem to fear.

Last edited:

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

lol, what a arrogant person you are

My only regret is that I didn't try to hide my awesomeness.

I should point out that the reason I dont care at this point is that I dont want to get my hopes up and be disappointed in the end. The information out there is currently too vague/badly translated to see what this jailbreak is capable of and what the preconditions are. In the end we might be stuck with "oh yeah, only the first batch of lumias that still have a Qualcomm bootloader can install it" which might leave the vast majority of 920 owners SOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720