GPS will Fix, but not Follow

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
After the GDR 3 update I have had a couple of REALLY frustrating issues. My GPS will find my location but will not follow me so that I can get turn-by-turn directions. It offers them, but they are way off.

For instance, I was at work and decided to reset the device to factory defaults and did not restore to my Microsoft account...just to be sure it wasn't corrupting it somehow. I installed a 3rd party speedometer app and drove to a nearby store. It stayed at 0 mph.

I then installed HERE Drive and it told me to turn left in 350 yards, and the marker showed my correct location (I was heading East on International Drive and was to turn left onto Zinfandel Drive), but the directions given said to turn left onto Bear Run Way or something that I've never seen in that area.

I did not have this issue at all until the update.

It also somehow made my Bluetooth signal incredibly choppy and weak. But that's another story for another thread.

I factory reset again and same results. A hardware test application yields the same results... GPS is locating me via Satellite, but it still doesn't update as it should. Has anyone else seen either of these issues? I'm about to just replace the device. I've reported it to HTC and Verizon Wireless and Verizon is looking into it for me.

I should mention that this is the HTC 8X on Verizon, but all replies are welcome because it seems to be software related. I've seen similar complaints scattered about the forums but not exactly like this.

Last edited:

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else seen this issue? It locks onto my location super fast, but just won't follow me. 119 views and only 1 reply. :(

Or does anyone have any idea how this works? How can it find my location so accurately and not give live updates? Is that a software or hardware function?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
So...I called to replace my phone finally and did what I had already done by wiping the phone today and NOT reinstalling my backup file. Did this once already and restored the backup twice. I covered all bases!

Well, everything works normally now. I did this step already but for some reason it only worked when I was on the phone with technical support at Verizon. I swear, there is a "Make it work now" button... LOL.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Grr!! It stopped working again. I just installed a bunch of my old apps so I'm uninstalling all, and putting back on one at a time until it breaks again. It has got to be a particular app or song or whatever(I synced music and reinstalled apps).

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Not having any issue with L920 GPS, the only problem I'm having. For some reason, when I start HERE Map or Gas Buddy, for some unknown reason it think I'm somewhere else than where I'm currently at. But it only take few seconds for it to find me. So I learned to be patient with Gas Buddy App. Not sure this is an app issue or the GPS itself.

burgermeister939

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This happened on my L925 and it was SO FRUSTRATING! I ended up just exchanging it and getting a new one because it was defective hardware and now it works super great :)

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
On Monday I'm calling in and getting it replaced. Can't take it anymore! LOL...I'm a walking holy terror in public over GPS and Bluetooth not working right now. My girlfriends parents just moved and trying to find their place last night was super frustrating.

Thanks for the input.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Just updating... I received my replacement 8X today. I ended up being sent a California Blue one. The Gray and Highlighter Yellow one must he out of stock. There is a noticeable difference in the feel of the device. The "Employee Edition" one that I had was smooth, slippery plastic, while the blue one is soft touch plastic. Just an interesting side note.

Bluetooth allowed me to walk clear across the room with no breakup/skipping in the audio, and the GPS got me to happy hour just fine. I'm just noticing though that the GDR3 update hasn't yet been applied so I'll see how it behaves after I install.

Downloading now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs