Which is the best antivirus software for windows phone 8 (nokia lumia 625)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psgenious

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I want to ask that Which is the best antivirus software for windows phone 8 (nokia lumia 625) , so that i can scan for viruses in my phone.

Zaki Smile

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you can get viruses even if you only download from Google play, the difference is that Microsoft checks the apps more than Google does before they upload them to their store. Then there is a dicussion about how much the ativirus software on mobile phones can do, because they are sandboxed.

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you can get viruses even if you only download from Google play, the difference is that Microsoft checks the apps more than Google does before they upload them to their store. Then there is a dicussion about how much the ativirus software on mobile phones can do, because they are sandboxed.

Source? How is it ppossible Microsoft checks more and we have 11 ****apps that's called Facebook?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The problem with Android isn't necessarily that it's a vulnerable OS. Being a Linux derivative, in many ways it is very secure. Unfortunately, with so many people enabling root (dedicated super user) access, they make their phones vulnerable.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's true. Microsoft have always been rigorous about testing, and the SDK actively prevents any possibility of malicious code. Android allows for far more flexibility in allowing applications to use and modify any part of the system. In the past, Google only killed apps after there had been numerous reports. I remember cases where someone produced a fake game (Angry Birds, I think it was) with the same icon and name as the original, but didn't do anything except for silently call premium rate phone lines based in Eastern Europe.

I don't know how strict Google are now.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

We can't say for sure Microsoft check their apps regularly. Its because it is easier to publish apps on GPlay Store than on WStore due to the more lenient requirements for it to pass through the store.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Without rooting, Android apps can still be a problem because they can access key data from other apps and send it on without the user realising. WP8 apps can't do that. This is not proper virus activity, more trojan malware, but still a problem. WP8 does not suffer from this.

That said, allowing us to store ALL media and apps to the SD card would not make our phones vulnerable. Just saying, as it's always worth adding to any sandbox discussion.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Google only checks apps if they get reported for problems. Otherwise, no checks - so you're at the mercy of the developer if the app hasn't been reported.

Source? How is it ppossible Microsoft checks more and we have 11 ****apps that's called Facebook?
Because Google doesn't inspect apps at all unless reported for suspicious activity.

he still said: "Microsoft checks their apps more than Google" and i can't really believe so
You don't have to believe something for it to be true.

When an app is submitted to the Play store, it is immediately available to download. When an app is submitted to Microsoft, it will be several days before it is tested and certified. I did get an app approved in just over a day once, but usually it takes 3-4 days. And yes, I have failed certification and had to fix problems and resubmit.

But all of that is really sidestepping around the OP's question. Here's the answer:

There is no antivirus for Windows Phone. It is not needed, and even if there were one to be published today, claiming to scan your phone, I will tell you right now that it is an outright lie.

In Windows Phone, apps are sandboxed. They are not aware of each other. Even if I write two apps, publish them, and get them installed on the same phone, my two apps cannot talk to each other - they have no concept of the other being there. The data that they save is sandboxed, and cannot be accessed from another app. So if there were an antivirus app published (there was once, it was removed by Microsoft), it would not work, because it would not be able to scan other apps or their info.

There is a way for apps to send data to each other, and I don't know much about it, but I do know that only those apps that expose themselves can be accessed, and only the information that the developer MADE to be accessed. For instance, the makers of MetroTube allow other developers to send links to their app, so they can play videos in MetroTube. An example would be the WPCentral app - if you look at an article with a video, you can swipe to the right, tap the button for the video, and if you have MetroTube installed, it will give you the option to play the video in MetroTube. But that still doesn't expose a way to get into MetroTube's data, or scan the app for anything. It just means that MetroTube is set up to receive.

The antivirus app that I mentioned above that had been published was AVG Antivirus, and it was published probably more than two years ago. Being that no app can scan other apps, a well-known developer got suspicious, did some digging, and learned that the app was reporting your location back to its server. When that information became known, Microsoft pulled the app. I believe they also started checking for that kind of activity as well, when they test for certification.

WNxAshik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
MICROSOFT store verifies each app published on the store just like apple, and if somebody pushes in a virus, they'll reject it.
Also as somebody posted earlier, all apps run sandboxed, so they cant mess with the wp OS.

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Really? App is ready for Download as soon as you publish it? If you say so.
I have never experienced virus on android and I have used it alot. Use common sense.
What I HAVE experienced on the other hand was awful adware some stupid app sent me lots of ads in notification area. Easy uninstall app / block push for that app. Also when using my mini-android-PC and visit different stream sites I get redirected to stupid ads sites that downloads apk files automatic. That is a major fail. But if you use adblock+popup block there is better at least.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Really? App is ready for Download as soon as you publish it? If you say so.
I have never experienced virus on android and I have used it alot. Use common sense.
What I HAVE experienced on the other hand was awful adware some stupid app sent me lots of ads in notification area. Easy uninstall app / block push for that app. Also when using my mini-android-PC and visit different stream sites I get redirected to stupid ads sites that downloads apk files automatic. That is a major fail. But if you use adblock+popup block there is better at least.

I don't have to say so. I know how to use a search engine.
Once you publish, how long to show on Android Market?
(just one link returned in the search)

If you would research things before you said them, you probably (though no guarantee) wouldn't look like such a fool when you speak. by constantly challenging people who actually do know what they're talking about, you diminish your credibility greatly.

Last edited:

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't have to say so. I know how to use a search engine.
Once you publish, how long to show on Android Market?
(just one link returned in the search)

If you would research things before you said them, you probably (though no guarantee) wouldn't look like such a fool when you speak. by constantly challenging people who actually do know what they're talking about, you diminish your credibility greatly.

what? "I don't have to say so" but you did, and I take your word for it. That's why I said "if you say so" what's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise