WP8 Major Bug: unable to purchase "due to great OS limitations"

Anant Anand

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
In India we need to put One Time Password received through sms on mobile... So when we try to purchase app , store redirects us to browser for submitting OTP,,, Meanwhile we receive SMS containing OTP. But when we open sms for obtaining OTP without exiting OTP submission browser page, by pressing windows soft key or sms notification and get OTP, OTP submission browser page disappears and it returns back to app purchase... WHAT A GREAT OS LIMITATION of OS which brags about its multitasking abilities.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
hmmm.. Windows Phone never talks to me leave alone bragging :p ...

I use the wallet service built in, completes my purchase within seconds without any hassles. I am not sure what procedure u are using, does ur so&so bank not have an option to enter iPin (password instead of OTP)

RomilHirani

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
This is a recent mandate, wherein a One Time Password (OTP) is to be generated on every Credit Card payment done online. Even I use the Wallet App for making payments through my Lumia 520. However, will need to check if the limitation mentioned by the OP is going to be a cause of concern for future payments.

Sent from the Nokia 3310's great grandson - the Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Well here I came expecting to find a 'major bug' and have to consider swapping to an Android device, when in fact we find something best described 'a bit of an inconvenience'.

Can I have my time back, Anant?

Dnamb

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
This is not a OS limitation, before the OTP was introduced there were no problems regarding purchase's thru WP. Ask your bank or card provider for usage of PIN instead of OTP...

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey there. I am having the same problem as the OP. Can you provide additional details on how you do app purchases using the iPin? I have an SBI credit card by the way. What card do you have?

Anant Anand

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
It's OTP not iPin.... This s not issue at Credit Card co.. But SINCE BROWSER OF GREAT WP8 UNABLE TO HOLD DATA ONCE YOU GO TO ANOTHER APP (EVEN WITHOUT CLOSING BROWSER... I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S THIS OTHER STORAGE HOLDS THEN) , APP PURCHASE PAGE WILL REFRESH ONCE U SEE YOUR OTP... I HATE IT REALLY.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I have never done this, I am just guessing... Is it possible for you to buy the app on a desktop from the Store and send to phone, id that's possible? I haven't tried it, just trying to help
Its a long shot, but if anyone wants to try it.....

Edit: this works for me. The purchase is made on the desktop browser
then the link to the app is sent via sms or email. Tap that and it downloads just fine.

Also, Anant, shouting is not going to solve your problem, so please maintain decorum.

Last edited:

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The Browser can hold data just eine when you're using another App. What you're experiencing is what I consider a safety feature. When you initiate a purchase and then switch from that purchase to another app, the store needs you to re-initiate.
Scenario: you want to make a purchase, select "buy". You then realize that you're not willing to pay $80 for an app. Then you navigate to another app. Now you let someone else use your phone, that person uses the app switcher to the initiated (but not completed) purchase and finishes the purchase.

That is why everytime you're navigating away from the purchase (by opening an SMS) you need to re-initialize the purchase. My Bank usually sends me an SMS just saying "your OTP is ####" so I can read the otp from the toast and do not have to navigate away from the purchase.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

riteshbendre

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree... happened with me too...and I guess this problem is after GDR3 / Black update.... in such a case, I use the PC browser to purchase an app!!

or other option, go to Settings, Speech, turn on (read incoming message when headset connected)..the moment OTP message arrives, just say read it.. get the OPT code and enter in the browser... it works :))

In India we need to put One Time Password received through sms on mobile... So when we try to purchase app , store redirects us to browser for submitting OTP,,, Meanwhile we receive SMS containing OTP. But when we open sms for obtaining OTP without exiting OTP submission browser page, by pressing windows soft key or sms notification and get OTP, OTP submission browser page disappears and it returns back to app purchase... WHAT A GREAT OS LIMITATION of OS which brags about its multitasking abilities.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree... happened with me too...and I guess this problem is after GDR3 / Black update.... in such a case, I use the PC browser to purchase an app!!

or other option, go to Settings, Speech, turn on (read incoming message when headset connected)..the moment OTP message arrives, just say read it.. get the OPT code and enter in the browser... it works :))

that's a nifty workaround, I didn't think of that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss