Facebook Messenger!!!

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The last time I experimented with the horrendous built in chat, I found out that keeping your status 'away' will let you view online contacts, but you will appear offline to them. You will still be able to chat.

Why do you say horrendous, works good for me.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, it should hopefully be fixed in 8.1 with the deeper fb integration.

I suggest the opposite - drop the Facebook integration, which is never going to be as good as a proper Facebook app (it will always lag an FB app in terms of new features, for example), and get Facebook to write and maintain a proper app. The money saved by abandoning the built in app can be given to FB to do the job properly.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
We really need a messenger.. What about stinkers by the way?? Any way to send and see stickers from a WP. I ain't saying integrated chat is bad. It is good for basic part. But as we need a separate app even though facebook is integrated deeply in the OS, we need a messenger too. To have features on par with other OSes

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
We really need a messenger.. What about stinkers by the way?? Any way to send and see stickers from a WP. I ain't saying integrated chat is bad. It is good for basic part. But as we need a separate app even though facebook is integrated deeply in the OS, we need a messenger too. To have features on par with other OSes

Go to the website then right?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Go to the website then right?

Stickers and presence (and stinkers :) ) are good examples of my point from a few posts above. As Facebook make changes or introduce new features, it's hard for Microsoft to keep up in their generic messaging app. It's probably OK for e-mail and SMS which are well standardised and don't change (much) over time. But for a service like Facebook which is continuously evolving, a generic app will always lag behind and integration with all the different services will be messy.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Stickers and presence (and stinkers :) ) are good examples of my point from a few posts above. As Facebook make changes or introduce new features, it's hard for Microsoft to keep up in their generic messaging app. It's probably OK for e-mail and SMS which are well standardised and don't change (much) over time. But for a service like Facebook which is continuously evolving, a generic app will always lag behind and integration with all the different services will be messy.

That's why I think an app from Facebook is needed..

Checki

Banned
Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Stickers are so useless...i dont need them, smileys are fine. but gruops, and photo sharing are most welcome! "writing" / "read" are also good. Video sharing...i dont care. But who knows, maybe they improved it?!

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think integrated chat is good only for casual chatting. I mean say, if you want to tell your friend a website or some number etc. But for serious chatting, like I do with many of my classmate girls, it is insufficient.. :-D
I think let the chat be as it is and tell Facebook to build an app for us..
By the way, I'm surprised how Facebook can change their application to the likes of iOS 7 and can't even make an app for us. Also, where was their brand gone while redesigning for iOS 7, that they told MS to drop the Metro version of WP app?? Isn't it some kind of partiality??
MS is the biggest name in the tech world yet suffering so much. I think MS should tell others what it actually is.. Come on MS show them what you are..

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I just use the messages tab in the app, but hey... some people use FB like SMS.... Try whatsapp or kik or skype. All of them work significantly better than FB messenger and have extra features.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Here also is the problem what MS has done... Providing us with multiple crippled ways to use FB, opposed to one good solution. I truly wonder who are behind this mess, they should be fired. The integrated chat (or whole FB) is a great idea, but who thought it will be ok to leave them so crippled? Now we need the app anyway...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077