Question Regarding SMS Backup

Isaacsg31

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys

I've been with WP for quite awhile now. I've gone through maybe four windows phones and never had this issue today. I recently had the 928 but today decided to get the Icon. I had turned off my sms backup function back in November when there was that issue with syncing my MS account and it was somehow tied to SMS backup. Herein lies my issue... I turned on my SMS backup from about 2am to around 4pm when I got the Icon hoping it would back up my texts, but it did not. I just have a couple questions I hope someone knows about. Does the SMS backup retroactively? Or will it only save those texts in which I had the feature turned on? If not, how can I get the texts to backup or how can I get them on my Icon? Would reactivating my 928 for a few days with SMS backup on then going back to the Icon resolve anything, or am I essentially screwed as to my own fault of disabling it for a few months?

Thanks guys, I hope someone knows something about this.

Isaacsg31

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Also, I thought I'd add I was thinking about getting my 928 activated again, trying to manually sync my Microsoft account, and seeing what happens. I tried resetting my Icon and doing that on my 928, but the 928 now says Not up to date, under the Microsoft account. And it won't seem to get by that. Is there a way to get past that without reactivating my 928 again? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate any input!

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a very similar issue on my new Icon as well.

I had SMS backup running on my Lumia 928. Right before I turned on the Icon I did a manual sync. I then activated the Icon and and it eventually started backing up texts but stopped in May of 2013 for a day or so then backed up "pockets" of texts from that date through the day I bought the Icon. It's as if my Lumia never backed up all my messages, only the HTC 8X I had before it. Anyway, I didn't think it was that big a deal so deleted almost all of my texts from the Icon and started fresh.

Issue 1: All of the old texts I deleted keep showing up. Even if I keep deleting them.

Issue 2: Today, I'm having a conversation via text before I leave for work. While driving I notice I get a notification that I have another text. When I get to my desk I open my phone and see I have one new message on the tile. I open messaging and the message isn't there. I only have messages thru yesterday afternoon. The entire text conversation I had this morning is gone.

Any ideas on what to do? I haven't reset my 928 just yet but it is no longer activated so it doesn't use data nor is is connected to WiFi so that shouldn't be messing with the texts showing up on my Icon. I'm thinking of shutting off SMS backup for a few days on the Icon and seeing what happens but even that most likely won't help the weird situation of messages randomly populating from the past year.

I may call tech support but I'm not sure if that would go to Nokia, Microsoft or Verizon.

Isaacsg31

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could help you, but I still haven't figured out what mine is doing. I don't understand why mine won't load the texts at all. I hope somebody chimes in with some experience in the issue.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could help you, but I still haven't figured out what mine is doing. I don't understand why mine won't load the texts at all. I hope somebody chimes in with some experience in the issue.

I posted this in the Lumia Icon forum too. If I get an answer I'll come back and share.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb