Email "Delete" Doesn't Delete Off Server??

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi All. Does anyone else find that deleting emails from your phone doesn't always delete them from the server(s) (but sometimes it does)? I have an Outlook.com email address for personal use and an Exchange email address for work and I've found that deleting new emails on my phone only deletes the emails from the servers about 20% of the time. I have no idea why it happens only sometimes, but it's pretty frustrating.

At first I thought it was related to checking emails on my desktop too soon after I deleted emails from my phone, so the system hadn't had enough time to delete from the server. But after observing the problem for a while I've determined it's not actually related to that and seems more random than anything else. It seems that especially with Outlook.com deleting an email on my phone would delete it from the server nearly instantly, but even then I've found that if I delete Outlook.com emails from my phone they still show up as "new/unread" emails when I log in on my desktop a few hours later.

Related to that, sometimes when I delete several new emails from my phone at the same time a few of them will delete from the server while others will still come through on my desktop. Pretty weird.

Am I missing something and/or doing something wrong here? Am I the only person having this problem? Any suggestions or fixes? Thanks ahead for any input.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Try to tap the "..." in bottom right corner of inbox, tap the Folder list, tap Deleted Items, open the message, tap the Delete icon.
Thanks for the idea, but it didn't work. Would definitely be an extra and unnecessary step, though, in what should be an easy process -- deleting emails from my inbox. I appreciate the idea, though.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else find that deleting emails from your phone doesn't always delete them from the server(s) (but sometimes it does)?
Count me in. I don't get many emails on my outlook.com account, but it really annoys me and I can't understand the principles of such "sync".

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is called optimized sync. The deleted items will be removed next time your phone syncs, e.g. when new email arrives. This way, the phone doesn't have to waste data (and hence battery) to login to your account for just deleting emails.

You can manually force the delete to sync by press the sync button.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
^^ Thanks for the explanation. I guess I can see the logic behind doing it that way, but it'd be great to have a setting/option of "Delete Now" or "Delete Upon Next Sync". I'm on wifi and plugged in at my desk most of the time, so my preference would be to have it delete when I hit delete. Very glad to know the background and reason, though, since it's puzzled me for as long as I've had my 928.

razvanfaget

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. I'm experiencing the same problem with my emails. But it my case it never deletes them from my gmail account, only after I press sync on the phone (doesn't delete them on next sync). Any new ideeas/solutions?
Thank you.

Salem874

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Really?!? Is this how's it's supposed to work? I dont think thats what happens in reality.

n all my years of using Windows Phone (Lumia 800, Lumia 820, Lumia 1020), deleting email on the devie (Outlook.com & Gmail) the mail has ALWAYS remained on the server. Even after I'd received more mail (ie a new sync would've occured.

This is one pet peeve i have with Windows Phone

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
well, was wandering thru the posts before I started a new thread on Calendar syncing and found this.
1st: my email delete has always synced with my outlook.com just fine. I use OutlLook Desktop and when I when I get my email those read on the phone and deleted do not appear. Syncing even works well for my POP3 email account on my carrier to my surprise.

2nd. syncing the email as suggested by foxbat121 above solved my other problem tho! I have spent days trying to get my WP Calendar to pick up a new calendar I had added at live.com. Calendar needs a sync button!! Still can't get to sync changes to reminder times tho :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre