Turn off calendar notifications

bertles

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

How do I switch off calendar pop ups on my Lumia 925?

I don't want them switched off on my desktop, just my phone.

In settings there are no options to do this.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Reminders are set in the calendar item itself. It's not possible to override this in the phone.

It may be possible, however to use a calendar app that doesn't display reminders, although I've not tried any of them.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
When you make an appointment in the standard calendar app if you scroll down after hitting the plus to add you can set a reminder or leave it blank. I am pretty sure that if you make an appointment in the desktop app (I sue office 2007 right now and you can set a reminder on the desktop or not. If you edit the appointment in one calendar on the phone or desktop it will sync the changes and turn on or off a reminder so they will both be the same. That's what sync does make it uniform.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
When you make an appointment in the standard calendar app if you scroll down after hitting the plus to add you can set a reminder or leave it blank..

On my phone, you edit an appointment (pencil in a circle button, at the bottom of the screen) scroll down to the rectangular More Details button, and scroll down to Reminders.

The problem is that it is set by default to 15 minutes. You can change it to None. Doing that is tedious for every appointment, but then you don't get the Reminder Pop Ups for each appointment. This should be "none" by default, but I haven't found a way to change the default in the "App".

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cant you do this?

Calendar > Hit ... > Settings > Turn off the calendar you don't care about?

That would turn off the calendar items entirely for that account. As far as I can see, this is not what bertles wants - all he wants is to not display the reminders on his phone.

bertles

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks folks. So in essence, this is a missing feature! In other mobile OSs you can not have pop ups or toast for calendars, but keep the calendar active on the phone and notifications active on your desktop.

Oh well, another black mark for WP8.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you want to customise notifications (for example email 10 minutes before) you have to do it from outlook.com

You can do this on the phone. Inside the calendar item, hit the '...' at the bottom and choose "edit". Then hit the "more details" button. From there you can edit the reminder time or remove it entirely.

bertles

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
No. You misunderstand. In iCalendar or Google Calendar on Android, you can switch off all notifications from all calendars globally with one single checkbox. I don't want to individually update events, as a. That is unnecessarily time consuming and b. That removes notifications from Outlook 2013 on my desktop.

Calendar on WP8, should have the option to disable calendar pop-ups on a single device without affecting the events.

It is not a calendar issue, it is a missing feature from the *app*.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
You can get rid of the sound calendar reminders make by changing it to a silent ringtone in SETTINGS -> ringtones+sounds.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
No. You misunderstand. In iCalendar or Google Calendar on Android, you can switch off all notifications from all calendars globally with one single checkbox. I don't want to individually update events, as a. That is unnecessarily time consuming and b. That removes notifications from Outlook 2013 on my desktop.

Calendar on WP8, should have the option to disable calendar pop-ups on a single device without affecting the events.

It is not a calendar issue, it is a missing feature from the *app*.

Why not simply say it as it is, and state that OP is better off trying out some 3rd party apps ?

There are a few options in that regard :

Chronos Calendar
True Calendar
Week View 8

All have the option to set standard reminders. Off course they should still sync on the PC as such, which is the whole point of syncing ;-)

dnastrain

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Settings->Ringtones+Sounds is what I was looking for.
Am ok with the visual pop-up, it's the sound and vibrate I want to disable when on vacation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6