ELM327 ODB2 - Pairs, Disconnects

Shane Baldacchino

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I have an ELM327 ODBII Bluetooth dongle. Initially I paired this to my Lumina 920 (Running Nokia Black) and was able to interrogate my car using 'ODB Auto Doctor'.
I then upgraded to pro and things stopped working. In looking in to this in greater detail my phone just constantly pairs, then a few seconds later drops out.

The dongle is not faulty as I can use my wifes Nexus 4 running 'Torque' without any problem what so ever and of course all other applications fail as well

What would cause my phone to disconnect moments after it pairs up.

Thanks
Shane

Shane Baldacchino

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Its not the app Laura, its the phone / OS.

It now just pairs, a few seconds later my connection gets dropped.

ELM327 is an interface for talking to ODBII compliant ECU's (Car computers).

Shane Baldacchino

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Actually, great pickup. The last two comments really look promising.

Seriously if it works it is still pretty crap that you need an app to keep the pairing alive.

Android / iPhone just work

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
just to let you know I have a 920 and the OBD Auto Doctor Pro app broke for me after the Black update. Since I'm a sucker for OBD software I also have the paid versions of AutoGaugeX and CarDash. So far, they all continue to work without the use of the Use Freely app. I'll have to try Use Freely.

Dan Jarvis

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi.

I have the SAME problem with my ELM 327 and Lumia 920 Windows Phone. I have two (2) ELM 327's and I used the first one once successfully with ODBII Doctor. After that it would just connect for about 10 seconds and then disconnect. This is outside of any app, just using the WP bluetooth connecting screen. I thought the ELM327 dongle was at fault, so I got another one. This new one has the same results. I haven't used another device to connect to it yet.

Has anyone figured this problem out?

:unhappy:

Dan Jarvis

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Actually this might work, this app. How weird that an app would be required to keep something paired. Will try it tomorrow.

Actually, great pickup. The last two comments really look promising.

Seriously if it works it is still pretty crap that you need an app to keep the pairing alive.

Android / iPhone just work

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, after I reported above in March that OBD Auto Doctor had broke for me, there's been a couple of updates to the app since that time. I can report now my 920 works fine with OBD Auto Doctor. And without the Use Freely app. Kudos to the developer for fixing the problem! :smile:

Dan Jarvis

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. It still fails for me.

Using that "Use ELM327 Free" app, I can connect and issue AT commands (it seems). I downloaded a trial version of "Diagnose your Auto" or whatever it's called and through there I can also issue AT commands, but when I go into the screen to view the trouble codes, it fails. I tried this on two cars so far. I'll have to get my hands on an android device to see if it works with that.

Dan Jarvis

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
No, I'll have to give those a try.

Thing is, the OBD Auto Doctor app worked just fine, once. Then, never again. I don't remember if there were any updates to the bluetooth on the phone or not in-between tries.

But I'll give those a try.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
No, I'll have to give those a try.

Thing is, the OBD Auto Doctor app worked just fine, once. Then, never again. I don't remember if there were any updates to the bluetooth on the phone or not in-between tries.

But I'll give those a try.

One of the reasons I suggested AGX and CD was to determine whether those apps behaved differently with your OBD device and or did not need Use freely. Just a debugging step ...

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Great! I've been there several times. Beat myself up trying to get something to work only to much much later do a reinstall which finally does the trick. Glad you're working now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro