The quest for an "Access Point Verification"...

HomeyJay

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I with Vodafone in the UK. She got a Nokia 920 recently and at around the same time, I got a 1520. We're both very happy with the phones but recently (as of a few days ago), every time the phones are switched on, they keep asking us to choose an access point from a list of network providers. Obviously, we choose Vodafone as that's our provider, but why do we have to do this every single time we boot the phones?
The strange thing is that this never used to happen at all - we both chose an Access Point when the phones were configured for the first time, but apart from that, the phones never asked again, until now!
Is there some way of stopping this annoying behaviour? Nokia say that it's something to do with Vodafone's APN settings and Vodafone say that their APN settings have not changed..

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Did this happen after a phone update?
What happens when "automatic" is selected under\settings\cellular\Network selection\

If you long tap the provider under\settings\access point\"your provider"\view
Scroll down to the field "authentication type" what is in that box?
Is it greyed out with none?

bengan

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This same thing happens to me as well. My old 620 broke and I just got my new 620, so I don't know if something especially caused this or if it was like this from the start. Never happened on my old one. Once I got my new one I did get a software update but am unsure if it was like this before the update.

When holding down on my service provider in the access point menu all I get is a greyed out option to activate it (since it's already the one active) and in cellular I always have it set on automatic.

HomeyJay

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys,
There was no phone update at all. We both turn the phones off completely at night and my 1520 started doing it first and then a couple of days later, the 920 followed.
Network selection is already automatic. I've also switched it over manually to Vodafone but the problem remains.
The authentification field says "PAP".

Did this happen after a phone update?
What happens when "automatic" is selected under\settings\cellular\Network selection\

If you long tap the provider under\settings\access point\"your provider"\view
Scroll down to the field "authentication type" what is in that box?
Is it greyed out with none?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
PAP means password authentication.
Are the username and password fields showing "wap or web"?

Sometimes the SIM will need replacing.
However this would be very odd happening on separate phones at the same instance.

This has got to be an APN change on Vodaphone's side I believe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3