Questions Regarding Rooms/Groups and SMS

walnoj

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi, everyone. I'm new to both WPCentral and Windows Phone itself. I very recently purchased a Lumia 1020, and also updated to Windows Phone 8.1 on Monday. I'm having a few questions about Rooms and Groups and am hoping you all can clarify a few things for me, or at least point me in the right direction. Firstly, I did go to windowsphone.com where I found the linked information, but I kind of wanted to hear it from someone else who has maybe used this more than I have. So if I start a Room or a Group on Windows Phone, what happens regarding chatting with people within the room or group? I understand that it sends a text message to invite someone to the group or room. Once someone accepts and joins the group or room, will it continue to utilize SMS from my carrier, or is it exclusively data-based, like iMessage or Hangouts?

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I would post this in the Windows Phone 8.1 since I'm assuming there are more people there than here today :)

I'm new to these the messages too, but I'm assuming it does use your SMS from your carrier.

walnoj

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I thought about it, but with the discussions about more technical aspects of Windows Phone 8.1, I thought it wouldn't really be on-topic, and this seemed slightly more appropriate. Not a bad idea, though.

walnoj

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
So, just to reiterate, it doesn't use any text messaging once your invited guests accept the invite? So that works Windows Phone to Windows Phone. What about if someone else has an iPhone or Android device?

Robinator

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
But the important question is, does a Family Room REQUIRE data (wifi, 3G,.....) or can it run just on SMS? This is important because for many of us using cheap text-only plans we do not have access to data while in town or at school.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
But the important question is, does a Family Room REQUIRE data (wifi, 3G,.....) or can it run just on SMS? This is important because for many of us using cheap text-only plans we do not have access to data while in town or at school.

Not positive but since it runs through msn messengers services I would safely assume it has to run through data. I know at first you must invite with a SIM in the receiving phone to accept. I figured out a workaround but the initial invite has to go through SMs to. Accept the invite. So it is possible messages could be continued through SMS but not sure if rooms would update or not until back on data. I have used groups much but for rooms you will just have to try and see.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
First invite is through SMS and carrier billing. After the invite is accepted, the messages are data based and Windows phone to Windows phone only.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786