How to STOP the automatic syncing of contacts, calendar and notes?

Infms

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I really hate how Windows Phone insists on syncing my contacts, calendar, notes etc. to my MS account, without the option of opting out.

Other than changing the server to 127.0.0.1, does anyone know how to prevent this?

This is a massive oversight from Microsoft/Nokia.

Thanks!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
First, the OS is by MS, it has nothing to do with Nokia.

Second, easiest thing to do reset your phone and use a dummy MS account if you didn't want your contacts synced. Then set up your current MS account as an Outlook.com account and uncheck the sync contacts under email + accounts. I personally don't see the issue you have though.

Lastly, you can filter your contacts in People if you don't want to see them.

Infms

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

If I create a dummy account, won't my contacts etc. still get synched to that account?

It's not a major issue, I just prefer my contacts, calendar, memos etc. not being stored online.

My old Android device allowed me to specify what exactly to sync to my Google account, why can't Windows Phone do the same? Flexibility & choice is always a good thing.

Cheers

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Go in email+accounts click on the account you will find option of what content to sync untick the one you dont want to sync.
P.s in the microsoft account which is link to device you wont find option for contacts and calender.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

If I create a dummy account, won't my contacts etc. still get synched to that account?

It's not a major issue, I just prefer my contacts, calendar, memos etc. not being stored online.

My old Android device allowed me to specify what exactly to sync to my Google account, why can't Windows Phone do the same? Flexibility & choice is always a good thing.

Cheers

Not if u reset the phone to factory.

Infms

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Go in email+accounts click on the account you will find option of what content to sync untick the one you dont want to sync.
P.s in the microsoft account which is link to device you wont find option for contacts and calender.
Why do Microsoft insist on syncing my contacts, calendar etc. to the account linked to the device? We should be able to 'untick' any content we don't want synced.

Not if u reset the phone to factory.
How will resetting my phone to factory settings stop it from syncing my contacts etc.?

Surely, after resetting, if I add a Microsoft account (even a dummy account) my Lumia will upload my contact, calender, notes to this account, irrespective?

I looked for sync settings on Outlook.com but can't find anything.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no local phone contacts unless you want to use SIM contacts (very limited). So, if you don't want to sync contacts, you will have no place to store the contacts. Whenever you create a new contacts, it has to go to one of the online accounts.

Android is actually similar. Pure Google Experience devices have no local only contacts. OEMs, however, are free to create local phone contacts provider to store them locally.

The default Microsoft account on the phone (that ties to your store account) has no option to uncheck the sync of contacts, calendar etc. They are always synced. Secondary accounts do have options.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why do Microsoft insist on syncing my contacts, calendar etc. to the account linked to the device? We should be able to 'untick' any content we don't want synced.

How will resetting my phone to factory settings stop it from syncing my contacts etc.?

Surely, after resetting, if I add a Microsoft account (even a dummy account) my Lumia will upload my contact, calender, notes to this account, irrespective?

I looked for sync settings on Outlook.com but can't find anything.

No... When you set up the dummy account... where will it pull the contacts/calendars/notes from?? Your dummy account does not have your info. Your real account does.

Once the dummy account is tied to the phone, setup your real account and untick the options you don't want synced.

Infms

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
There is no local phone contacts unless you want to use SIM contacts (very limited). So, if you don't want to sync contacts, you will have no place to store the contacts. Whenever you create a new contacts, it has to go to one of the online accounts.

Android is actually similar. Pure Google Experience devices have no local only contacts. OEMs, however, are free to create local phone contacts provider to store them locally.

The default Microsoft account on the phone (that ties to your store account) has no option to uncheck the sync of contacts, calendar etc. They are always synced. Secondary accounts do have options.
If I go to settings->email+accounts and change the server to 127.0.0.1 (local host) contacts etc. aren't synced, and stored on the handset. So there is definitely local storage.

My old cheapie Samsung Galaxy Pocket has an option to untick 'Sync Contacts', so no, this is not an Android issue.

I'm just really baffled why Microsoft doesn’t include such an option. I don't want all my contacts, calendar events and memos saved involuntarily online, ever.

No... When you set up the dummy account... where will it pull the contacts/calendars/notes from?? Your dummy account does not have your info. Your real account does.

Once the dummy account is tied to the phone, setup your real account and untick the options you don't want synced.
I'm not worried about it pulling contacts etc because, like you mentioned, the dummy account won't have any. I don't want my Lumia to save new contacts etc I make in to my dummy account, or anywhere else online.

Cheers

Last edited:

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Auto/forced syncing is a massive peeve of mine. I loathe this feature. The moment I realized everything synced, I felt like getting rid of the phone!

If I go to settings->email+accounts and change the server to 127.0.0.1 (local host) contacts etc. aren't synced, and stored on the handset. So there is definitely local storage.
This seems to be the only method (for now) that works.
Renaming the OneNote in skydrive emptied my notes, so that didn't work. I downloaded 'Notepad Free' from the app store and that seems to be a decent alternative.

I wish Microsoft offered an opt-out feature for syncing. I don't want anything synced. At all. Ever!

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Speaking for myself personally:
- Control of data (I'd like to decide for myself, whether or not I want my info stored somewhere other than my phone)
- Limited data plan (200mb, which burns up quickly.. I like to retain every kb possible for my OWN use)
- Nothing important enough that I need to access it from multiple devices

Motoz1

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Windows 8.1 update gives this control on what you can sync, such as contacts.??? I've not updated to the developer version yet but on another thread there is suggestion that you long press outlook symbol to have an option what to sync?
I'm another user that hates having my contact lists all clogged up. I go abroad alot and need to change sims, I don't want all my contact numbers from my sims on my PC, why would I, cannot make phone call from my PC!:unhappy:

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I've been on 8.1 developer preview for a few months. The syncing is the same deal. If you want to disable it, follow the tips posted earlier in this thread.

I have, and my contacts are NOT synced to my Microsoft account.
The only thing that syncs to your PC is music but you have to set that up, it won't automatically do that just by plugging the USB in.

Motoz1

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
So the 8.1 update has not been thought out and micrososoft do not listen or care about their customers! My phone number info on my mobile is private data! Surely the data protection act would not allow my stuff to be synched without my pemission!
Looks likevandroid for me then, goodby windows phone and good riddance!

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
So the 8.1 update has not been thought out and micrososoft do not listen or care about their customers! My phone number info on my mobile is private data! Surely the data protection act would not allow my stuff to be synched without my pemission!
Looks likevandroid for me then, goodby windows phone and good riddance!
Its synced to you....and yes you can turn it off. Geez overreact much

Motoz1

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Please describe how you can turn off the option for syncing contacts but still receive emails!
Over react? Its took so long and only one person bother to reply to my question, now you sauy this minutes after my last post, either help or stay off the thread

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3