Windows Phone as external bluetooth GPS for tablet or laptop

tejedor1967

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
In 2008 I had as smartphone a Mitac Mio A701 running Windows Mobile 6.5 (I think).

In that smartphone I had installed a program called GPS2Blue. What that program was doing is collecting GPS data with the A701 internal GPS and sending that data thru bluetooth. So in a laptop or tablet (I owned a HP TC1100 with Windows XP) search devices in Bluetooth and you find a external bluetooth GPS which was the Mio A701 running GPS2Blue in Windows Mobile.

I tried to find a similar program for Windows Mobile without any success. I can't belive that something I was doing in my crappy A701 6 years ago can't be done in my brand new Nokia Lumia 1020.

I found similar programs in Android which turn you smartphone in a external bluetooth GPS for you laptop or tablet, like GPS over BT or Network/Bluetooth GPS, but I couldn't find any program like that for Windows Phone 8.

Any idea?

This picture shows my TC1100 (running OziExplorer) using the Mio A701 as external GPS in my Jeep Wrangler.

IMG_1661.JPG

I want to do the same with my Nokia Lumia 1020 and my Dell Venue 11 Pro.

Come on I was able to do that 6 years ago and not now???!!! (WTF!!!) :devil:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That would sound cool, why not email the devs of those apps you listed and ask if they can develop an app for Windows Phone? Then repost their emails here and we can also ask. That is one way to get devs interested in WP.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Given your usage in this instance, it seems to me that it would have been easier to just get a tablet that has built in GPs then you don't have to have so much clutter in the cab. Having said that if you love your Venue Pro it runs full windows 8 so couldn't you simply use a USB GPS module like the one that Microsoft sells with Streets and Maps? Then you don't have to worry about the battery drain on the phone from having the GPS running as well as the Bluetooth connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05