Would you buy it? Fitness Wearable

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
This fitness wearable is gorgeous, affordable, and versatile. The Misfit Shine is unique and I'd love to see them introduce an app for WP.

If you've looked around, you know we have zero options available to us. Hopefully that will change with 8.1 and BT 4.0 support. Meanwhile, I'd like to reach out to this company and encourage them to be the only one fishing in our well-stocked pond. BTW, they are also looking for international distributors, so don't be dissuaded if you're not in the US.

Misfit Shine | Shine Store

We are a community of 200,000+ WP users! Let's encourage manufacturers to come over to the tile side.

If there is a healthy response to this post, I'll share it with Misfit Wearables. I'm not affiliated with this company in any way; I just want one of these but won't buy anything that isn't compatible with my WP. I'm not asking for a commitment to buy, just a show of interest.

Please stay tuned. I'll update the OP with their response. Also watch for more threads regarding other hardware that I want but want with WP support in place. And feel free to steal this idea and post some wish list items of your own.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm really tempted to pick up a Misfit device given they just announced the new Misfit Flash, which is the same as the Shine except made out of plastic and selling at half the price ($50). But part of me wants to wait for this supposed MS wearable in October!!!

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both bought Shines today and both were exchanged later in the day for Fitbits. I had a horrible time connecting and syncing with my HTC One M8. After getting it connected and finding the hidden settings menus to upgrade the firmware, it still failed in sync >50% of the time and never logged any steps. I also had a bunch of app crashes when doing simple things like setting my goal weight.

My wife had sync issues related to iOS8.

Beautiful device with lots of potential, but a frustrating hour resulted in an exchange for 2 Fitbit Flexes that worked right out of the box.

I may pick one up again in a couple months to see if the app had improved.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both bought Shines today and both were exchanged later in the day for Fitbits. I had a horrible time connecting and syncing with my HTC One M8. After getting it connected and finding the hidden settings menus to upgrade the firmware, it still failed in sync >50% of the time and never logged any steps. I also had a bunch of app crashes when doing simple things like setting my goal weight.

My wife had sync issues related to iOS8.

Beautiful device with lots of potential, but a frustrating hour resulted in an exchange for 2 Fitbit Flexes that worked right out of the box.

I may pick one up again in a couple months to see if the app had improved.

Hopefully they release an update with the release of the Misfit Flash in October - I have an old iOS device I can sync it to but it's less than ideal. My brother has the Misfit app on his Pebble, and syncs fail half the time as well on his iPhone....maybe it's an issue with how they sync

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's my experience with both Shine AND Flash. So far not good at all, which really sucks because I really wanted to give these products a try. Everything I see regarding Misfit says they're a terrible company you shouldn't put your faith in, but damn I still wish I could make it work because I love the design and flexibility concept.

On 10/4 I bought a Shine new from Target and could not get it linked to two different Lumia 1020s both running dev preview 8.1.1. You launch the app, get a login/sign-up screen, and then it goes immediately to pairing which takes you to bluetooth settings. If I paired it via bluetooth (it shows up as Shine) then go back to the app it will just crash. After having that happen several times I got crafty and removed my fitbit flex from my list of bluetooth devies in case of a conflict. Now the app no longer crashed but it still wouldn't pair and now kept saying the Shine was already linked to another account, which should be impossible since it's new. Turns out after some research that it's a common error that also happens on IOS and Android. The "fix" for that is to go into the app and unlink it but of course can't unlink it if you can't even get into the app to mess with the settings. Either way in my case it had to be a false error.

Next up I try it with a Lumia 520 that's not on dev preview and is running stock 8.1 or whatever the latest official release is. Same issue, no change. I do some research and from the windows phone store reviews it looks like there is a firmware update for the shine that you can do from the app, however you can't even get to that stage in the app without pairing first! So then I go to their website for help. So not only is there almost no mention of Windows Phone there in any form of troubleshooting, but their website where you submit a ticket kept failing. I tried with IE11, IE11 compatibility mode, and then Chrome. Failed every time. So then I find a help e-mail and send them very detailed info about all of this. It's now been two days to the hour and no response for a product I cannot use literally out of the box. Not only that, but their troubleshooting pages literally only mention steps to work on an iPhone despite it being supported on Android as well. It's like these guys have 0 infrastructure/support. So I'm like fine I'll return it.

THEN I happen to stop at a Best Buy and guess what, even though the Flash is only available via pre-order it turns out Best Buy has a special deal where they can sell them early. So I buy one just to see if there's some newer firmware or something that might make things different. Still doesn't link out of the box, and laughably it doesn't even show up as Flash under bluetooth. It says Shine. What kind of ****ty coding is this that you can't even have your new product have its own name? I know it's very likely just the same product just in a plastic container, but you can't even get the name changed in the code? Anyway so it's the same deal with the linking however after just repeatedly trying over and over I finally manage to get it linked and into the app. But so far it has yet to actually show any activity whatsoever. After a day of wearing it literally nothing shows even after a "successful sync". I even tried updating firmware and that doesn't appear to work. The process happens but then no change in the firmware number and no verification that it finished.

So here's where I'm at. I think just because I'm a glutton for punishment I'm going to grab a buddies Android phone and see if I can get it working on that just to see if there's some wall I can get over in terms of setup. Then I'll try it again on Windows Phone. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll just have to return them or hold onto them in the hopes that Misfit updates their app. Judging by everything I've seen about the company though, I have 0 faith in it. I mean they have a windows app out, they've announced it via twitter and probably other places, and yet look at their official support page about what devices they support. No mention of Windows Phone. But half their stuff doesn't even mention Android so I don't think it's just Windows Phone apathy.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...s%3A%2F%2Fmisfit.com%2Fsupport&token=6ddi6IPP

I think it's just a very poorly run company. Hopefully they turn it around. For what it's worth the firmware version on the Flash I tried was fl2.1.0r.prod.

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay an update. I borrowed a friends Samsung Galaxy S3 and linked it, and sure enough there was a firmware update there waiting/ready. I did the update, then unlinked it from the account they just created, then back to my Lumia 1020 8.1.1 DP. The app of course crashed again until I removed my Fitbit Flex from BT devices, then it was able to pair after two tries. I then refreshed the information about the firmware (you double tap the word settings on the settings card) and now the firmware says FL2.1.3r.prod which is a higher version. I also noticed the Android app actually asked which device we were pairing (Shine or Flash). We'll see if it starts registering any activity now, it appears to be completing a sync fully each time I ask it too now including circling lights on the Flash where I never got that on Shine or Flash. My guess is that the WP app just doesn't support the Flash yet, we'll find out later tonight after some moving around.

EDIT

Actually after walking around a bit it doesn't seem like it's registering any activity at all. So I think the WP app just won't sync with the Flash officially. So I'll just wait for the app to be updated and keep using the Fitbit Flex for now. I'm guessing if I had done the Android update trick with the Shine it would probably work decently once it'd been updated.

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay an update. I borrowed a friends Samsung Galaxy S3 and linked it, and sure enough there was a firmware update there waiting/ready. I did the update, then unlinked it from the account they just created, then back to my Lumia 1020 8.1.1 DP. The app of course crashed again until I removed my Fitbit Flex from BT devices, then it was able to pair after two tries. I then refreshed the information about the firmware (you double tap the word settings on the settings card) and now the firmware says FL2.1.3r.prod which is a higher version. I also noticed the Android app actually asked which device we were pairing (Shine or Flash). We'll see if it starts registering any activity now, it appears to be completing a sync fully each time I ask it too now including circling lights on the Flash where I never got that on Shine or Flash. My guess is that the WP app just doesn't support the Flash yet, we'll find out later tonight after some moving around.

EDIT

Actually after walking around a bit it doesn't seem like it's registering any activity at all. So I think the WP app just won't sync with the Flash officially. So I'll just wait for the app to be updated and keep using the Fitbit Flex for now. I'm guessing if I had done the Android update trick with the Shine it would probably work decently once it'd been updated.

Well that sucks!! I just ordered a Flash from Amazon!!!

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
At this point I believe the Flash won't work without an updated app. The shine probably works albeit being finicky from the reviews. It looks like they just released a new android app adding compatibility for Flash (Oct 6th) and IOS app with some improvements (Oct 15th), so hopefully we're close behind.

By they way I e-mailed support about the Shine on Oct 6th, they didn't reply till Oct 14th. I understand a slow support response if it's not a big issue, but this was not working out of the box and I was hardly going to sit on an un-working device while my return window disappears. It looks like they are more responsive on twitter, so I'd recommend that instead.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon