Long Time Android Guy... Gone Windows Phone...and the Story!

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Real nice article. Thank you for sharing. Your comparison of the 520 to the S4 I feel hits the nail on the head why WP users and potential WP users need to not get fixated on thinking "flagship" windows phones have to have all this high end specs that make the phones cost $650 plus and up. WP8/8.1 does not need it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Real nice article. Thank you for sharing. Your comparison of the 520 to the S4 I feel hits the nail on the head why WP users and potential WP users need to not get fixated on thinking "flagship" windows phones have to have all this high end specs that make the phones cost $650 plus and up. WP8/8.1 does not need it.

Exactly what I was going to say :wink:

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
That is one thing that does sort of steer me away from android when I get annoyed at my Lumia 820. Windows Phone is just so smooth. I also have an iPad Mini which is as smooth as silk too. But as you said, it's very boring without a jailbreak. I would struggle to use iOS without my jailbreak tweaks. I've used android in the past, but that was in the ICS days. I really like the look of android L though.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Great read; should be a sticky here. I have the 1520 coming from the 822, 928, and ICON. Yes, I told Verizon where to go and moved to AT&T; absolutely no regrets at all. My new 1520.3 is in the mail; can't wait.

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd got some chances to experience some of my friends' Android and iPhones before. All of them made me determined to buy a Windows Phone. And after having a chance to use my best friend's 920 for an hour, the 1520 became my first smart phone. And I loved every single minute I used it till this day. My iPhone and Android friends keep telling me about how complicated and lacking of apps and features Windows is. That maybe was true in the past but not now. The problem is that they will never take anytime to look into the OS like you did. When the 1530 (or 1540 because I suppose that the most high end phone like 15xx and 10xx usually skip a generation), I'm so buying it. But now I have to resist the temptation of buying the 730 first.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Been meaning to document this for a while... and finally decided to do so.

Editorial: How an Android Guy “Goes Windows Phone”

Life with Windows Phone from the eyes of someone who's spent most of his smartphone life with Android. What do you think?

Can I say, TLRtheory, that I love your ID? It reminds me of Code Monkeys, one of my favorite guilty pleasure shows.

Is that the guy from Code Monkeys? It's hard to tell with pixel arts.

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
That was a very enjoyable read. I owned a lumia 900 and really enjoyed the phone itself but Google Services is what made me move to my S3 at the time. If Google Services was made available to Windows Phone I'd jump in a heartbeat because as far as I know they aren't?

Unless there IS an alternative way to get GS on a WP that I'm not aware of.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That was a very enjoyable read. I owned a lumia 900 and really enjoyed the phone itself but Google Services is what made me move to my S3 at the time. If Google Services was made available to Windows Phone I'd jump in a heartbeat because as far as I know they aren't?

Unless there IS an alternative way to get GS on a WP that I'm not aware of.

Google Services will be on WP when hell freezes over as Google seems to hate WP for some reason.

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Love this article! I actually never owned an iPhone or Android phone before. I owned Symbian, WM, WP7, and WP8. I never really liked iOS or Android cause its somewhat overrated. Everyone I know owns the iPhone or Android. But I don't really like Google or Apple. WP will forever be my preferred choice :)

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

I think the point is, if you are buying a flagship phone you expect a good sized HD screen, top specs, excellent build quality (and in my opinion, anything with less than a metal frame is less than flagship), lots of storage, a processor that's super smooth no matter what you throw at it, and so on. You don't need it, but if it doesn't have high end specs then it isn't flagship.

It's like buying a Bentley, you might not need one but if it only had the same specs as a Ford Mondeo you wouldn't consider it to be a luxury car. People buy expensive flagship phones because it makes them feel important, that they own a luxury product.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I feel like Android has truly destroyed the way the word "flagship" is perceived. In another topic, someone used the example that: instead of Samsung fixing the problems with TouchWiz, they just packed in stronger hardware... and that truly is an ***-backwards approach. Lag in high-end phones is almost always an issue with crappy coding.

Being a flagship phone isn't about throwing in the best-in-class processing and graphical unit, it's about creating a device that represents the underlying operating system the best. Which is why the Lumia 830 with it's meager SD400 can be considered a flagship. The definition has simply become lost and is seen through jaded eyes. If there is heavy emphasis on a function such as storage sense and the phone is unable to take advantage of that, having a SD800 won't make it the one to best represent the OS... which is why we have so many 1520 fans that weren't thrilled by the Lumia Icon. You don't need a Snapdragon 805 and the biggest and baddest Adreno if there is core optimization, and big numbers don't *make* a flagship, they just impress people who aren't tech savvy.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
It was nice to read your blog, I've seen others like it and it does put faith in that Android users can go to Windows Phone and love it. Instead of always getting bashed from Android users saying Windows Phone sucks or something around those lines.

Speaking of "Flagship" there was an interesting article on Pocketnow talking about the word Flagship. The word seems to be too broad these days so they're asking what really qualifies as a flagship.

It's a good read for those who are interested: What does the word ?flagship? really mean? | Pocketnow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3