Error 8500201d and messed up SMS backup

the user

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so a couple of days ago I noticed in the SMS app that all threads changed from:
Name Surname
to
"Name Surname" <that person's phone number>

At the same time most of the texts were gone as well. And those which remained had their chat structure ruined (all texts became 'one way' - I became the receiver of my sent texts and date on all of them is 1601-01-01 02:00). And not least, when I went to toggle sms backup in the messaging app - it was no longer there. I am still using WP8.0 GDR3 + Lumia Black on my 1020 and what's left is only facebook chat backup option. Similarly when I navigate through the settings app to the backup section - there is no longer a toggle to backup texts.

Then I went to 'email and accounts' in settings and tried tomanually sync my ms account which resulted in 8500201d errors.

I noticed that this crap started happening the same day my outlook.com account was updated to the new style. So it's definitely something on microsoft's end. It's probably the last straw for me, I lost some very important texts and the whole messaging app became a mess with messed up threads. Does anyone have any ideas how to get everything back tonormal or am I on microsoft's mercy here?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I understand your frustration, but please refrain from using inappropriate language :)

We're just a fan forum

Last edited:

RSB54

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
yep, happening to a lot of folks. there is several suggestions on Microsoft Community but nothing really works. several have done hard resets without success so don't bother. I am still receiving emails on my phone even though it says not sync'd for several days and pops up this error message. missing texts is the most frustrating.
Another bazaar thing is that the notification sounds for my texts (custom assigned for some contacts) also disappeared and/or changed. it all makes no sense.

the user

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
yep, happening to a lot of folks. there is several suggestions on Microsoft Community but nothing really works. several have done hard resets without success so don't bother. I am still receiving emails on my phone even though it says not sync'd for several days and pops up this error message. missing texts is the most frustrating.
Another bazaar thing is that the notification sounds for my texts (custom assigned for some contacts) also disappeared and/or changed. it all makes no sense.

My emails (and ms account in settings-> emails and accounts) are now syncing after I removed my phone in outlook.com and soft reset my phone. But the sms thing is still not fixed, though I don't have your issue of text tone changing (I haven't assigned custom tones, so maybe that's why). Another annoying thing is now I have two threads for the same person because all recent texts are going to a fresh thread. MS probably changed their text backup system again after doing so sometime last october or november during development of Threshold for mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99