Mugen Extended Battery

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I sent an email to Mugen to confirm/verify this. (It's not that I don't believe the report here but it's nice to get official word from the manufacturer.) I also asked that if true, are they planning to make batteries specific to the Verizon version of the phone. Who knows... perhaps they weren't aware of a difference between the phones. Anyhow, I'll let you know what they say when I hear back.

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I know its the GSM version... I have a trophy you know... What I'm saying is it looks exactly the same... But it'd be cool if the OP wanted to give his story on how he knows it won't fit, personal experience, etc...

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If anyone has a GSM version of the Trophy would you please take a couple quality picture of the open battery compartment so we can compare it to the Verizon version of the phone? I'd like to see where the supposed differences are.

On a side note, After the initial automated response from Mugen when submitting my question I did get a response from someone who said that they would look into it and get back to me. So hopefully they are doing so, haven't heard anything else yet though.

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... I'm having trouble believing we got the exact same phone with a different pin connected battery, although everything else is identical... save the 16gb card. which i've already replaced with a 32gig one...

So mine should be here later this week or next week and I'll let yall know... Also where is the OP and why did he cause such a panic without any solid info to back this up?

athomeceo

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
upgrading verizon trophy to 32gb card...

... save the 16gb card. which i've already replaced with a 32gig one...

Hey, sko, was it difficult to replace the card? And, which card did you use? Notice any performance differences? Thanks in advance!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait to see how this works out for you. Picked up a Mugen 1500mAh to replace the stock 1230mAh in my Surround last week. After 6 full charge/discharge cycles, the Mugen battery was providing "less" power than stock, by about 10%, instead of the hoped 22% boost. Battery is going back to them today.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Official Response from Mugen

I received an official response directly from Mugen today regarding this issue. Here it is, directly copied from the email.

"Subject: [#389157] Contact Form
--please do not reply below this line--

Dear Nathan,

Thank you for your email!

We can confirm that this battery will not work on Verizon Trophy.
We are checking the Verizon version at the moment and we will announce if any batteries are planned for it on our social network pages.

Please contact me if you need any additional info.

Best Regards,
Dmitry"

So... that confirms it and that sucks. Hopefully they will decide to make batteries for the Verizon version at some point. If so, I hope they perform better than then one jimski got for his Surround. Fingers crossed.

But at least we have an official answer.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I got one of the 1800mh HTC Droid (the desire?) batteries to fit in my trophy. works with the standard battery cover.
Looks like the Mugen 1800mAh for HTC Desire Z / T-Mobile G2 / HTC Incredible S. Picture looks aout the same.

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait to see how this works out for you. Picked up a Mugen 1500mAh to replace the stock 1230mAh in my Surround last week. After 6 full charge/discharge cycles, the Mugen battery was providing "less" power than stock, by about 10%, instead of the hoped 22% boost. Battery is going back to them today.

suck, how are you determining your battery performance?

and double-suck on the Mugen response... gonna have to return that puppy... and just... wtf verizon/HTC... wtf...?

Edit: On a side note, what the crap is with fitting phones with smaller batteries when the capacity in the same form factor is clearly there and available for another one of the manufacturers device (HTC Desire?) in this case.

corn_chowder

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I got one of the 1800mh HTC Droid (the desire?) batteries to fit in my trophy. works with the standard battery cover.

I also emailed mugen asking about the battery and this is the response:

"Dear htctrophyuser,

Thank you for your email!

Out HTC Trophy battery cannot fit with the Verizon Trophy, this one can use with Verizon Trophy

[HLI-ADR6300SL] Buy Mugen Power Extended Battery for Verizon HTC Incredible 1800mAh

Please contact me if you need any additional info.

Best Regards,

Jan"

So apparently, the extended battery for the incredible will fit...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
suck, how are you determining your battery performance?

Edit: On a side note, what the crap is with fitting phones with smaller batteries when the capacity in the same form factor is clearly there and available for another one of the manufacturers device (HTC Desire?) in this case.

My routine has not changed in months, and I monitor my battery usage closely. I start the day (full overnight charge) reading mail, RSS feeds and BoardExpress, for 2hrs+. At 2hrs I always check the battery: HTC, about 55-60%, Mugen, about 45-50%. I tried to monitor all of my uptime while using the Mugen, and came in at a little under 4hrs before the low battery indicator kicked in. Previous tests with the HTC got me to around 4.5hrs. Not scientific, but I did expect something close to a 22% boost, and at very best got no more than I already have. My typical strategy is to buy a spare OEM battery when I get the phone and switch out every three months, so they both wear evenly.

And to answer your other question, I am no expert, but basically you can't put 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag. You can get some battery test results at batteryboss.com and form your own opinion. I do believe that larger third party batteries (with extwnds battery doors) do hold more juice but these "same size, more juice claims" are no more than claims. But by all means, test for yourself.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I've spent some time in the past few days looking for some good research on these batteries. While there's a real dearth of quantitative data in general, the little bit I have seen doesn't look good for Mugen or any of the other aftermarket battery makers. Anything that I've seen supporting these batteries is anecdotal evidence that reeks of confirmation bias.

If someone knows of some real quantitative data supporting aftermarket batteries then please post it because I'd like to see it. I'm no expert and I'd love to be proven wrong. But until then I wouldn't trust Mugen or any non-OEM battery.

If you need the juice then I would say get the extended OEM battery. If you don't want the bulge then I would say you're out of luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism