Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

So I just made the plunge into WP7 last night. I am awaiting the Focus S in the mail and will be back on AT&T after about 2 years. I am excited to try WP7 after a long stint on iOS & Android. Question, what are my case options for this phone? Will GSII cases work on this?

There are plenty in amazon, but I wouldn't recommend any silicone ones. I got one and I decided to take it off. It would collect dust behind the phone and caused tiny scratches. Case mate makes one and also ventev . I ordered a ventev and I'll see how that goes. Welcome btw.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    GSII has a different camera location, and no camera button.

Welcome to WPCentral forums :)

Global Posts
    2,409 Global Posts
    I have had a silicon case on my focus for a bit less than a year and have had no scratches and no dust collected behind it. I am not in many dusty areas . I really like silicon cases I have had them on my tilt2 and the pure and now the focus. If I get a focus s I will get a silicon case for it as well. Also if I get a titan or the Nokia Ace (probably the most likely scenario at the present) I will get a silicon case for it as I like to keep them in my dress shirt pocket during the week and sports shirts on the weekends and Sunday church. Just my personal preference!

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I just got the Focus S and have found very few cases...or even screen protectors. The AT&T store had nothing at all. I welcome welcome any recommendations.

I did send an email to Otterbox this week and got reply:

At this point we do not have any information if a case will be made at this time for that device, but it is something that has been requested a lot. I would say to keep an eye on our website, as it will have the most up to date information on any new releases that we may have.

Kind of a generic response, but it's always good to let them know there is demand.
    Last edited by zourtney; 11-30-2011 at 11:40 AM.

I have the casemate tough case from ATT. The case protects the device really well. It is a little tough to get on but it that is because it is a tight fit. Only issue with it is that it will cause the first stage of the camera key to stay depressed which can cause some of issues. They must not have a very good QA department. Anyways I was able to resolve this with a very simple solution that I outlined on another case thread. After my fix I think the case is perfect. Without the fix it is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by edboogie78 View Post
    There are plenty in amazon, but I wouldn't recommend any silicone ones. I got one and I decided to take it off. It would collect dust behind the phone and caused tiny scratches. Case mate makes one and also ventev . I ordered a ventev and I'll see how that goes. Welcome btw.

edboogie: let us know how that ventev case is. I've seen that case also but there aren't any reviews on it online.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    For what it's worth, I just heard back from Zagg. It sounds like an invisibleSHIELD could be available relatively soon...but not yet.

Thank you for taking the time to contact ZAGG, and for your interest in protecting your Samsung Focus S with an invisibleSHIELD. At this time we do in fact have the invisibleSHIELD design for your device on our to-do list, but are waiting on a few final details to actually get it cut and put on our website- so I strongly recommend that you check ZAGG.com for your design on a regular basis. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at bmiles@zagg.com for further questions or concerns.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I wish this was like the old focus, lol. It came with a full back sticker (clear) with a bucha hoopla about how Sammy + WP7 was going to rock my world, but the words rubbed off within a day of use, so I just kept that sucker on, :P

Instant phone back protection + front screen protector = scratchless Focus.

Quote Originally Posted by davidkhou View Post
    edboogie: let us know how that ventev case is. I've seen that case also but there aren't any reviews on it online.

Thanks!
    I will asap.
    For those looking for a screen protector , I recently purchased some realook screen protectors from amazon. Its not as tough as the ones made from zagg, but it's durable enough. What I really like about it is that it's crystal clear and everyone I've shown my phone to didn't even realize it had a screen protector . Easy to apply , but like any other screen protector , it likes to attract dust during application.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Use scotch tape to pick off dust during application.
    Thanked by:

The ventev case just arrived today. Installation was easy and the fit is very snug. After putting on the case the phone gained a little bit of weight and a little bit of bulk which felt good in the hands. Even though it feels heavier, it's still lighter than my Iphone. The buttons are tucked away nicely and It seems that it would be more difficult to accidentally hit the camera button. I think the case looks pretty nice. The top part is all plastic with a metallic finish and the bottom is silicone (?) outside and plastic inside. The only thing that is a concern for me is that the top and bottom part of the phone is exposed thus it doesn't provide full protection. Other than that I think it's a decent case.

I apologize in advance for the poor photo quality, but I hope it helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front-015.jpg   back-021.jpg   side-018.jpg   side-020.jpg  
    Last edited by edboogie78; 12-02-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Is the silicone hard or soft and squishy on the ventev case?

Quote Originally Posted by edboogie78 View Post
    The ventev case just arrived today. Installation was easy and the fit is very snug. After putting on the case the phone gained a little bit of weight and a little bit of bulk which felt good in the hands. Even though it feels heavier, it's still lighter than my Iphone. The buttons are tucked away nicely and It seems that it would be more difficult to accidentally hit the camera button. I think the case looks pretty nice. The top part is all plastic with a metallic finish and the bottom is silicone (?) outside and plastic inside. The only thing that is a concern for me is that the top and bottom part of the phone is exposed thus it doesn't provide full protection. Other than that I think it's a decent case.

I apologize in advance for the poor photo quality, but I hope it helps.
    Thanks for the review. I'm glad that the case leaves an opening for the camera button that makes it more difficult, as that was one of my concerns (instead of covering the button like th tough case does).

I think i'll go for the ventev then!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverdogz View Post
    Is the silicone hard or soft and squishy on the ventev case?
    Its hard. The silicone seems to be a thin coating over plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by davidkhou View Post
    Thanks for the review. I'm glad that the case leaves an opening for the camera button that makes it more difficult, as that was one of my concerns (instead of covering the button like th tough case does).

I think i'll go for the ventev then!
    No problem. You probably already know but just in case you were looking for a different color, I believe they also have a blue/black case.

I just received the CaseMate Touch case yesterday and I am very satisfied with it. I took the advice that was posted elsewhere and placed 2 small folded pieces of paper around the shutter button and the one issue the case has is corrected. I now have full 2 stage camera functionality and great snug protection. It adds some weight and girth to the phone that is actually welcome. I am very satisfied with the case and the phone as a whole so far.

Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdrop View Post
    I just received the CaseMate Touch case yesterday and I am very satisfied with it. I took the advice that was posted elsewhere and placed 2 small folded pieces of paper around the shutter button and the one issue the case has is corrected. I now have full 2 stage camera functionality and great snug protection. It adds some weight and girth to the phone that is actually welcome. I am very satisfied with the case and the phone as a whole so far.

any chance of getting pics?
    yep... yep...

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    The InvisibleSHEILD for Focus S is now real. I might just do that and call it good.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I bought a "Crystal case" (Rubber/plastic composite) off of ebay for $7 -search HARD TPU GEL SKIN CASE

it's great!..... after I took an exacto and trimmed around the button impressions although some may like the protruding rubber buttons.

low profile, good feel, great firm fit unlike the soft silicone cases, excellent protection, feels like I can toss it around without regard

Update:
    For my second one today (smoke argyle other one is gloss black). Only button necessary to cut out was camera as it inhibits the two stage press. Power and volume are fine as is
    Last edited by klocker2; 12-16-2011 at 05:11 PM.

I picked up two cases: the ventev mentioned above, and the glass blackTPU case that Klocker also has. I would highly recommend the TPU case; I agree that it has a nice, firm fit. I also cut out the holes for the camera as well as the power button. (the case was tight enough for me that it was slightly triggering both buttons- the phone wouldn't go to sleep and also slightly triggered the camera's first stage), but the good thing is that case is almost inviting you to cut them out if they don't work for you. I find that the hole for the camera perfectly hides it enough to solve almost all of the "accidental" press issues people have been having. The case also wraps around the frame, like a lip, protecting the screen if you place the phone screen side down. The TPU also gives more of a tactile, friction feel than the Ventev. I'd say that the TPU also gives the phone a perfect heft too, for those who think it's too light.

The Ventev is also decently made; it's actually two halves, the top shiny bit, connected by friction to the soft-touch bottom piece. It doesn't cover the top or the bottom very much. It has cut-outs for all of the buttons, but I feel that the cutouts are large enough that they don't do much to prevent accidental button presses; on the contrary, they seem more inviting to my fingers to grasp the indentations.
    Both cases are prone to fingerprints though.

Overall I'd give the edge to the TPU, but will switch them up from time to time. Both can be found on ebay for very cheap.
    I'd post some pictures but the attachements button isn't working for me at the moment.
    klocker2 likes this.

I just sent an e-mail to Speck to see weather thay will make a Candyshell case for the Focus S.

I just got one of these for my Focus S and it's been great....it's not a rubber case and provides a bit of a recess around the buttons that helps prevent hitting the buttons (ie the camera button) by accident...highly reccomended

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

ventev Twotone Snap-On Case Chrome Finish Black for Samsung Focus S SGH-I937

Just got a reply from speck about the candyshell case for the S.
    No Official word yet! Try back in a week or two and I might have more info then! We’d love to be able to give you a definite answer, but the truth is, we don’t always know ourselves. Believe us on this: we’re busily turning out tons of super-sweet new cases, bags and sleeves just as fast as our little hands can turn. But if we gave you definite release cares and for whatever reason they didn’t turn out to be dead-on, well, then, you might be sad. And we don’t want you to be sad. So we ask that hang on. We’ll let you know, we promise!
    Kind regards, erik griss | customer service guru (*) speck | 212 homer ave. suite 100 | palo alto ca 94301
    Last edited by Silverdogz; 12-21-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Global Posts
    3,508 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    I also settled for the Ventev case. I work in a boiler plant, and my Focus S life is in danger every day. The Ventev case has a good weight to it (I prefer that in my phones) but the top half of it is a slippery sucker. Also, I do not like the fact is does not extend all the way around the phone. The top edge and the bottom edge of the device are both exposed, which to me kinda defeats the purpose of the case. It is fine for me in the short term, but I do not think it is a long term solution. Still hoping for an Otterbox or Sedio option at some point. Hope some other users continue to post reviews of their experiences with some of these other cases.
    Last edited by snowmutt; 12-26-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast