Wireless Car Charger Cradles?

tbakerweb

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a dashboard mount for my iPhone 4s now which I occasionally need to plug in. My car is equipped with a Bluetooth compatible stereo, so I can stream my audiobooks, podcasts and music wirelessly.

A quick search on the net doesn't seem to result any Qi Compatible Wireless charging dashboard mounts for any phones. Does anyone know if these already exist, or are anticipating one?

gzlesk

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Qi recently released a spec sheet for wireless car chargers and how they should work. I think manufacturers maybe/hopefully nokia will release some in the coming months. I think this is a product category, wireless car chargers, has never been targeted before to be honest. That may be why there are non in the market

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Real question is, if we start seeing more and more phones with wireless charging, will cars start having built in charging pads?

That said, seems like someone would come out with a mount that has wireless charging...

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Real question is, if we start seeing more and more phones with wireless charging, will cars start having built in charging pads?

That said, seems like someone would come out with a mount that has wireless charging...

If NFC becomes popular, and I believe it will considering the mind blowing possibilities of the technology, the market will get flooded with wireless charging docks. In the meantime it shouldn't be too hard to hack a charging pad.

Finally, by the time wireless charging becomes standard in cars, we'll probably be using WP10 Surface phones.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
If NFC becomes popular, and I believe it will considering the mind blowing possibilities of the technology, the market will get flooded with wireless charging docks. In the meantime it shouldn't be too hard to hack a charging pad.

Finally, by the time wireless charging becomes standard in cars, we'll probably be using WP10 Surface phones.

NFC is just a form of Bluetooth, it isn't wireless charging.

I've started to look around for one of these too. With the Lumia 900 it wasn't a big deal to put in on the dash since the audio and charger were on the same side. With the Lumia 920, it looks too damn awkward to have audio plugged in and charge.

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Anyone just know of a mount that works with the 920? Its annoying that I have to put my phone upside down to charge it.

powermat-car-charger.jpg

I need this

Last edited:

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone just know of a mount that works with the 920? Its annoying that I have to put my phone upside down to charge it.

I'm thinking about getting this mount from Nokia: Nokia Universal Holder CR-123 #CR-123 - Expansys USA. Its the one you see in official Nokia photos, but of course Nokia has no easy way to buy their accessories so got to go through some third party and I haven't seen it here on the WPCentral Store. You can take the bottom holder completely out. In order to have access to both the audio and charge, I figure you can drop the bottom leg down and have the two side holders latch on to the top of each end of the phone. So the buttons are facing up an unobstructed. What I cant find is a rear view of it to see if I can just attach the front portion to the Garmin dash mount I have. It uses a weighted jell bottom and has never moved on me in high speed turns, plus its smaller than the bean bag mounts and can fold flat.

Moocowdeluxe

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking about how awesome it would be to have a cradle of some sort with NFC and Qi wireless charging for my car. Wireless tunes and charging just like the JBL speaker but in my car (and hopefully cheaper)? They need to make this.

MikaelSmoot

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting this mount from Nokia: Nokia Universal Holder CR-123 #CR-123 - Expansys USA. Its the one you see in official Nokia photos, but of course Nokia has no easy way to buy their accessories so got to go through some third party and I haven't seen it here on the WPCentral Store. You can take the bottom holder completely out. In order to have access to both the audio and charge, I figure you can drop the bottom leg down and have the two side holders latch on to the top of each end of the phone. So the buttons are facing up an unobstructed. What I cant find is a rear view of it to see if I can just attach the front portion to the Garmin dash mount I have. It uses a weighted jell bottom and has never moved on me in high speed turns, plus its smaller than the bean bag mounts and can fold flat.
i bought the holder your looking for , its on amazon.co.uk little expensive with the conversion but they did two day shipping from england, got it and it works great on the 900 havnt gotten the 920 yet

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Oooh,... This would be perfect. Will this work with the 920?

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Oooh,... This would be perfect. Will this work with the 920?

It looks like it will be a tight fit.

"The universal design of the car holder can fits smartphone models with the following dimension ranges and weight limit: length 90-130 mm; width 50-70 mm; thickness 8-16 mm; weight max. 200 g"

Lumia 920
Height 130.3 mm
Width 70.8 mm
Thickness 10.7 mm

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It looks like it will be a tight fit.

"The universal design of the car holder can fits smartphone models with the following dimension ranges and weight limit: length 90-130 mm; width 50-70 mm; thickness 8-16 mm; weight max. 200 g"

Lumia 920
Height 130.3 mm
Width 70.8 mm
Thickness 10.7 mm

Seems even the universal holders are barely brawny enough to contain the L920, the only spec that fits cleanly is the weight - barely

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm using this Kensington mount made for the iPhone and the 920 fits it perfectly.

Cdbjc.jpg

No wireless charging, but it will do for now.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I spoke with a Nokia CSR over chat. Their response was that the CR-123 wasn't tested with the 920, so they couldn't tell me if it would fit.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking of trying that but was concerned about the curved back of the 920 and combined weight being an issue....do you have any pics of your 920 and that mount specifically the back and how it connects to the 920....I know its just a sticky mat but I'm curious

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3