Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I have been trying to find out more info on the charging speaker. I know that the 920 will sync with the speaker to play music in addition to charging. But are there any other NFC features it offers? For example when placed on the speaker can I have it set a specific alarm and make my ringer silent?

I can't find where to buy the JBL powerup?

I think I saw it on AT&T's website.

Global Posts
    1,108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prissysox View Post
    Thanks. Just ordered a black one.

Global Posts
    1,201 Global Posts
    D@mn I didn't think they were going to be that expensive! I can't justify that as often as I switch phones!

Quote Originally Posted by tlo07 View Post
    D@mn I didn't think they were going to be that expensive! I can't justify that as often as I switch phones!
    Well the good news is the audio is Bluetooth Audio so it will work with ANY decent smart phone from now to at least a few foreseeable years. Plus there's always analog audio-in via the headphones jack.

Brett
    http:/wwww.brettmorrison.com
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I want a red one!

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Yeah, the NFC just initiates the Bluetooth connection. I've been thinking about this too, but I have to hear it if I'm going to spend that much on it.

Really want one, but probably going to hold off for now and wait for a good deal on it. (Sub $200 hopefully)
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."

Global Posts
    1,108 Global Posts
    Maybe black Friday. They're sweet looking but really expensive

I just got mine in. To be honest I am disappointed in with the sound of the device.

It does not put out nearly the amount of bass I was expecting. Overall the sound quality is good, but my Bose Soundlink is better with lows. This thing does however have really good mid and highs levels, but there is an uncomfortable amount of distortion at loud volumes (due to the distortion of low levels). This isn't too unexpected because this thing is driven off 2 mini subs. Overall the bass is not good even before you get to a level for distortion.

This thing gets LOUD too. I was impressed with the volume it can put out, however this seems pointless when you consider the amount of distortion you can hear.

The speakers have an on/standby switch on the back of the device that has to be on if want to speakers to work however the charger works regardless if the speakers are on or off. This is a giant plus.

I was also hoping the NFC connection would automatically turn on my bluetooth connection however this was not the case. You need to turn on bluetooth on your phone if you want through the speakers and then turn it off if you want sound to return to your phone. This seems pretty obvious, but I would of loved it if I could drop my phone off on the thing and the sound is automatically transferred to the speakers, and if I pick it up the connection automatically turns off.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep this as a glorified alarm clock if I want to return it. For $300 I am tempted to take it back because I do have a soundlink already, but it is a cool device. $200 would of been a much better price point for it.

The black one is $250 from Verizon

Got mine (Black) from ATT delivered yesterday. Pairing was easy. NFC worked as expected. Charging - no issues. I like how the landing area illuminates when the phone is close.

I would rate the sound a 3.5 out of 5. It's a bit too bass sounding than I would like. I have it bedside, where I charge the phone overnight.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Verizon has it $49 cheaper
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisonbrett View Post
    I can't find where to buy the JBL powerup?
    AT&T and Verizon. Idk about tmobile.
    MINE JUST SHIPPED!! And it is a Sunday. UPS. I ordered the cyan. :)

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I am pretty disappointed that the NFC chips seems to only connect your phone to the speaker if you already have Bluetooth on. I was really hoping to be able to program the chip to do things like turn on/off WiFi and other settings.

It does, I keep my bluetooth off, and when I hold the phone to my Powerup it ask me if I want to pair, turns it on and connects. Works like a charm. I just have to remember to turn the bluetooth off when Im done.

How about htc 8x? I tried it out at the store. It will charge but would not connect via NFC.

That's what I'm on, a Verizon 8x

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I didn't realize there were two versions of the JBL Power Up Speakers. Model MD-100 and they have a model MD-51 that's smaller. Both claim to have wireless charging and NFC but they otherwise look identical. Interestingly enough, Amazon lists both as having a lithium ion battery. Are these things portable with it's own power supply like the Jambox? I was leaning towards the Jambox for that reason, but would definitely get the Power Up if it has a built in battery.

Model MD-51:
    Amazon.com: Nokia MD-51W JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia - Retail Packaging - Cyan: Cell Phones & Accessories

Model MD-100:
    Amazon.com: Nokia MD-100W JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia - Retail Packaging - Cyan: Cell Phones & Accessories

I wonder what the sound differences on each are as well. Nokia website is very spartan on the specs and JBL doesn't even list these. Why all the secrecy?

The MD-51 is the playup speaker..amazon has wrong pic and info for it. The playup is 149 and power up is 299.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-MD-51W-P...wpcentral00-20
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeplant View Post
    I want a red one!
    I think that it is only available in black, white, and cyan. At least through AT&T. Maybe Nokia or JBL has the other colors direct.

Quote Originally Posted by morrisonbrett View Post
    Got mine (Black) from ATT delivered yesterday. Pairing was easy. NFC worked as expected. Charging - no issues. I like how the landing area illuminates when the phone is close.

I would rate the sound a 3.5 out of 5. It's a bit too bass sounding than I would like. I have it bedside, where I charge the phone overnight.
    I agree with the rating....maybe go as high as 4...I found that if you have the volume up over 20 or so, you can hear a hiss. It's not bad but noticeable depending on if you are streaming or playing a file locally. Also, I had my first reboot. I had music streaming from either iHartRadio or Nokia Music and was messing with the volume and bam....reboot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast