Headset - Come on Nokia! - finding what works

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I seriously am finding it crazy that proper headphone/headset support hasn't been figured out. If there is one accessory you should have nailed down, headphones have got to be it.

As an iPhone user migrating...

Apple earbuds; any version with volume controls: Audio plays fine. Stop/Start/Next seem to work. I didn't test back because I was streaming and no back was available anyway. The mic just records a crazy noise - no go for phone calls.

Beats by Dr Dre; Mine are a couple years old and don't have volume control on them. They have noise reduction on them. Stop/Start/Next/Previous and Mic all seem to work. I couldn't speak to the newer models that use inline volume control.

Bose MIE2; These are great sounding earbuds, if a little pricey. I picked them up for $90 on sale. They only support stop/start and mic - but it all works as expected. I got them because they do sound great and I can wear them all day without discomfort. They are also not fully in-ear, so you can still hear some ambient sounds, which I like. I have the Beats if I want to tune out the world around me completely.

I have some Adidas earbuds (that wrap over the ear) for working out. Stop/Start/Forward/Back all work, Mic records silence. No phone usage for this one.

That's what I have tested so far. Please take the time to report on what headphones you are using and what features work or don't work. If I were a phone maker today, I'd seriously try and license Apple's controls, just to have access to the hundreds of already existing headsets with inline controls.

thelastred

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
- urbeats
- htc beats solo
- Sony smart headset
- Nocs NS200H-001
- Nokia purity hd and inears

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

NoLoveForFrank

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this is a "Nokia" problem, or even a Windows Phone problem....it seems to me more of an "Apple proprietary connector" problem, in that they have their own take on the 3 ring 3.5mm connector. Like you, I found that the mic on my headphones didn't work either. The middle button did for answering calls and controlling music. Tried a few other headsets, all with the same issue (Etymotic Hf2, Klipsch S4i)...turns out they're all pretty much designed for the iPhone.

From an old pair of Shure's (SE500) I came across their MPA-3C adapter (Amazon.com: Shure MPA-3C Music Phone Adapter for iPhone: Electronics), designed to replace the extension cord with one offering single button and mic capability for Phone use. Plugged that in, and what do you know the mic worked like a charm. I'm guessing since that cord was a more universal connection, whereas the cord I use now for my SE535s (Amazon.com: Shure CBL-M+-K Music Phone Accessory Cable for Shure SE315, SE425, SE535 Headphones (Black): Electronics) is designed for Apple devices, hence the MPA-3C working as it should.

Currently have this (Amazon.com: Shure CBL-M-K Music Phone Adapter Cable Plus Mic: Musical Instruments) on order to replace the iPhone-designed cable for my SE535s. Based on the MPA-3C I'm fairly confident that it'll work, and thus allow anyone with the newer Shure SE headphones to use them just fine with the 920. I'll post an update once I get the cable in and give it a try.

thelastred

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
They make 3rd party cables for Nokia 920 also for HTC Samsung I have the cable and Nokia 920 go eBay and type HTC aux remote it red cable

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have some V-Moda's that I use on my ipod touch and used to work on my HTC Titan but all that works on L920 is the play / pause. :dry

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
My Incase Sonic's are only able to Start/Stop. However, it does work every time now. It only sometimes worked on the Lumia 900. The Volume Up/Down and the mic still don't work.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I created another thread stating that I had tried to different pairs of headsets and neither worked with the Lumia 920. I went to the AT&T store and I had forgotten that I put my phone in battery saving mode. Once I came out of that mode and rebooted my phone, I was able to use both sets of earbuds. I can listen to music, answer calls, and speak on them. So, now they are working perfectly. Go figure!

One pair that I am using is one that I bought with my Palm Pre Plus phone. Another one that I used is a Sony brand. However, both seem to work perfectly now.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I forgot to mention that the AT&T rep mentioned that I should make sure that I push the earbud in deep enough that it clicks. For some reason, I do not think that I did that either :)

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Beats by Dr Dre; Mine are a couple years old and don't have volume control on them. They have noise reduction on them. Stop/Start/Next/Previous and Mic all seem to work. I couldn't speak to the newer models that use inline volume control.

I have a set of Tours I bought early this year with volume controls. Are you saying the mic doesnt work on these?
Thats really dissapointing... :(
Reallly want one of these phones.

However all other functions work? :mellow:

NoLoveForFrank

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Got the cable in, and pairing it with my SE535s produced a working headset. The button controls audio and can activate voice commands, and the microphone works just as expected. So if anyone has, or is looking at, the newer Shure SE series (SE215, 315, 425, 535), using the Shure CBL-M-K (NOT the CBL-M+-K, which is Apple devices only) will get you button control and a working mike on the Lumia 920.

Odd thing, and I'm not sure if this is an issue with the headset, the hardware, or the OS...but activating voice commands only works if the phone is active and actually working. Will not work if the phone is locked and the screen is dark, or if the screen is active but at the lock screen.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Got the cable in, and pairing it with my SE535s produced a working headset. The button controls audio and can activate voice commands, and the microphone works just as expected. So if anyone has, or is looking at, the newer Shure SE series (SE215, 315, 425, 535), using the Shure CBL-M-K (NOT the CBL-M+-K, which is Apple devices only) will get you button control and a working mike on the Lumia 920.

Odd thing, and I'm not sure if this is an issue with the headset, the hardware, or the OS...but activating voice commands only works if the phone is active and actually working. Will not work if the phone is locked and the screen is dark, or if the screen is active but at the lock screen.

Go into Settings -> Speech and check the first box. Hopefully it works then.

agtRACR

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for post - Im very interested in getting the Shure's but have to have music control and a mic. Does the button on the CBL-M-K control any music functions or just control calls?

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I love my jaybirds, they are the only head phones I have used that are stereo Bluetooth that don't cut in and out while I jog. They also stay in your ears very well. The volume controls along with track skip, play and pause are great. They also work well with the voice cmds from the windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb