Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Hey all,

I had just ordered an inexpensive case that looks promising on Amazon, but when I saw it could take a long time to get here, I decided I wanted to try one of those overpriced cases from the AT&T store in the meantime, and take advantage of the 30-day return option if the case I had ordered online turns out to be better.

I went with the CandyShell by Speck. First time having a Speck case, and I wanted to post some photos of it because I'm actually quite impressed with it. The inside is coated with a soft rubbery material, and the outside is a hard glossy plastic. The interior edges and the corners of the phone are lined with the same rubber material as the inside. The case doesn't flex much, thanks to the hard shell, but seeing as the rubber protected the interior edges, having to push the phone in rather hard to snap in place didn't worry me.

I went with a red shell to match my red Lumia and the two look great together. The buttons have the same rubbery feel and you have to press them pretty firmly to go through to the phone's actual buttons. I tried snapping some photos and you can't feel the half-press click, but since a full-press requires a firm push, it's not too hard to make the distinction when focusing and holding for the shot. Does make me think my hands may end up shaking the phone too much from pressing so hard that it'll screw with the focus, but with my limited tests so far it wasn't a problem.

My only major concern is that the curve of the screen almost makes it look flush with the edges of the phone itself, but when I place it face-down on the table, I don't hear the screen hitting the glass, just the rubber-lined edges. I tried to capture that in one of the angles in the photos I took so you can see for yourself.

All-in-all, unless the cheap Amazon case blows me away, I may want to keep this!

And, if anyone is curious about why I want a case on the beautiful, rugged 920... I'm very hard on my phones. I burst out of the car countless times, forgetting the phone was in my lap, and bang up the corners pretty bad (though thankfully I've never cracked a screen). I believe the 920 is a rugged machine, but I know one day I'll want to sell it and this will just give me peace of mind. Plus I'm concerned about micro-scratches on the high-gloss shell. I'm sure the Speck will be prone to more micro-scratches, as I highly doubt it's an equal grade plastic, but new cases are a lot cheaper than phones :)

Total price was $38... Ouch. But without a lot to go on for now, I'm happy with my purchase. I've never owned an Otterbox, but when I saw the design for the 920 I realized my phone would end up looking like everyone else's iPhone if I got one of those. This case seems like it will protect my phone from drops very well and it allows it to keep a similar 920 look and feel, without adding much bulk!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wp_000797.jpg   wp_000799.jpg   wp_000800.jpg   wp_000804.jpg   wp_000807.jpg  

Thanked by:
    MaulerX, tissotti and rickylago2 like this.

I must admit for a case that looks pretty good :) I was initially against getting a case for the 920 but I think this compliments the design rather than ruins it!

Yea I got the same case expensive but seems perfect I just needed a case that would protect against concrete and a lil durability cuz I tend to knock my focus out my lap when getting out the car. Haven't tries it cuz my phone hasn't come in yet though

wow that looks really nice! i've always been impressed with speck cases, my few cases (for iPhones) were all speck. you're lucky they had those in stock at your AT&T store. i visited two stores here and they were yet to receive any Lumia 920 accessories. hopefully they will be available soon.

i also checked speck's website and they have no mention of Lumia 920 cases from them.

I might grab a grey/black one for my "yellow 920" if it ever ships. Will need a little toning down of the glossy color in boardrooms or meetings.;)

Global Posts
    2,989 Global Posts
    I got the black one yesterday and while it offers good protection it seems to have picked up tiny scratches all over the back already. Probably not too noticable with the Red but quite evident on my black one. Fits very snug, makes it a bit difficult to remove the phone. Wireless charging with my Energizer chargind pad still works ok.
    Thanked by:
    Xsever 

I really like that but it looks like it offers no protection for the screen whatsoever!

good god the red is bright! haha but hey it's your phone! I have a black case on order for my black 920. I forgot it was glossy. I actually wish it was matte black to match the matte phone. oh well.
    How much "bulk" did it add to the phone. Looks like it's decently slender.
    Thanks for sharing!

-Luke

EDIT: Am I missing something, I can't find the speck candyshell for 920 on their website :-(

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Kailburn View Post
    good god the red is bright! haha but hey it's your phone! I have a black case on order for my black 920. I forgot it was glossy. I actually wish it was matte black to match the matte phone. oh well.
    How much "bulk" did it add to the phone. Looks like it's decently slender.
    Thanks for sharing!

-Luke

EDIT: Am I missing something, I can't find the speck candyshell for 920 on their website :-(
    Well if you are looking for matte black case which I was as well I ordered a diztronic case

Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for Nokia Lumia 920 (AT&T) [Diztronic Retail Packaging]: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thanks for the heads up^
    In the photos that case looks fantastic. When yours arrives would you mind posting some of your own pictures of the case(in a new thread if that's more appropriate). Since I've already got the speck on order(should be in this week) I'll give that a go at first.

-Luke

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Apparently AT&T is sending me one of these for free for my phone being delayed for so long. Looks interesting, but I never use cases...

I like the case but wow its tough to get out
    I've always liked the Candy Shell case from Speck. I had a few on my iPhones over the years. Really want one of these now but none of the stores around here have any in stock. Only downside is the small plastic piece over the charging dock usually breaks fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SocksWthSandals View Post
    I've always liked the Candy Shell case from Speck. I had a few on my iPhones over the years. Really want one of these now but none of the stores around here have any in stock. Only downside is the small plastic piece over the charging dock usually breaks fast.
    yea i know what you mean about that small plastic part on the bottom. i got the black one earlier in the week and it seems to be holding up, that part still seems flimsy to me though and i anticipate the same end result with it.

have you checked AT&T stores? that was the only place that i found that had any. they also had a belkin case that was more of a bumper type case for $35.
    Yea I called around to 4 stores. One store seems to have some in. So Ill go check it out tomorrow and let you guys know.

The plastic piece always breaks :( Its just a question of when.

I wish SwitchEasy would do something other than iPhone cases. I bet they could make some cool ones. They had a few for the iPhone 3g that I really liked, however their models for the 4 were just lame and semi recycled ideas.

All in all, cant go wrong with a candy shell even if the plastic piece breaks off

I've been scavenging for a case the last couple of weeks for my black 920 with no luck, but finally found a black Speck case at my local AT&T store a couple hours ago (got lucky I guess for they had just one). Here are some pics...

http://sdrv.ms/QpSsVN
    http://sdrv.ms/UaO3oO
    http://sdrv.ms/ZZXpGg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-11-19t12-05-49_0.jpg   2012-11-19t12-05-50_3.jpg  

But I cannot find this product anywhere online. I tried 'Lumia 900 candy shell' 'Lumia 920 Speck'... No results. Any idea why?

I was doing the same search and for some reason these cases don't show up anywhere besides the AT&T website (from what I can tell).

edit: wow something is really wrong with the Quick Reply on these boards (when hitting Reply in the post and then clicking Quick Reply), it keeps on double posting for some reason.

Thanks! I just realized instead of CandyShell I should search for Candy Shell with a space.

They don't have yellow yet. I believe they will have it pretty soon so I just bought a crappy yellow case from Amazon. My 920 ia already collecting tiny, hard-to-observe scratches.

Just checked the trade-in value for Lumia 900 (which is only 11 months old) on Ebay ($90) and Amazon (not found). Almost none value.. Gazelle don't even accept trade-in for 920. I think I'm gonna buy a crappy case for hiking and traveling, and go without case for everyday life, rather than paying $40 for a case, which means that when I sell my 920 next year, I'll lose $40. I don't think I will give it to my parents since it's already hard enough to learn how to use an iPhone.
    Last edited by MaximW97; 11-19-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Got my black speck case yesterday(ordered through ATT 8 days ago). It's a very solid case indeed. It is raised above the glass just enough so you can set it face down and not worry about scratching the glass on anything. Love the inner rubber skin.
    The gloss black is a HORRIBLE idea. after having it in my pocket and sitting on a desk or notepad for half a day it's full of little swirl marks and tiny scratches. I have no doubt it'll protect the phone very well. I just hate gloss black for this reason. My dell laptop also has a gloss black lid..same story lol.

sniper- did you order that diztronic matte black case? did it come in yet? Initial reviews?

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by loco4burritos View Post
    I've been scavenging for a case the last couple of weeks for my black 920 with no luck, but finally found a black Speck case at my local AT&T store a couple hours ago (got lucky I guess for they had just one). Here are some pics...

http://sdrv.ms/QpSsVN
    http://sdrv.ms/UaO3oO
    http://sdrv.ms/ZZXpGg

Awesome background. Can you post a link to that?

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    An update: I ended up returning my Speck case... While I like a lot of things about it, I noticed it was doing a poor job at protecting my lens. It actually seemed to be making it very easy to collect dust.

This was almost a deal breaker in and of itself, but it got worse when I tried removing the phone so I could clean the lens. As others noted, its very hard to get the phone out of the case, which is almost a plus to me, but on this occasion, although I was careful, I managed to snap the plastic where it gets quite thin around the speaker and USB opening. The rubber kept it in tact so there was no visual affect, but breaking under normal use under two weeks just didn't sit right with me, especially considering I would need to remove the phone quite often to clean the lens.

Thankfully AT&T took it back and refunded me. Ordered a cheap gel case from amazon which has a wider opening for the camera. Going to see how it works out.

Disappointed because I really liked the speck case. The back was getting all the microscratches I thought it would, but other than that it looked and felt awesome. Given the price and these issues, though, I can't recommend it.
    Last edited by awesomeplant; 11-28-2012 at 07:58 AM.

What lens are you trying to clean that you need to remove the phone from it's case???? I have the white Speck case, it has black gripping ribs on the back that extend part way up the sides. I see NO reason to remove the phone from it's case!!!
    Rudiepoo1 likes this.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    The camera lens on the back was gathering dust and because of the small size of the cases opening there I had to dig in with the microfiber cloth and even then the dust just stuck around the edges, sticking to the rubber lining. From experience with other phones, I was worried dust would get wedged on the inside and end up grinding against the phone and making micro scratches and in the meantime the dust on the lens was making my images look very poor.

My new cheap gel case has a much bigger opening around the lens that lets me clean easily, and it hasn't been attracting the dust.

On removing the case in general, I think I just have a different preference. I like the ability to easily pull the phone out, especially since a lot of people are curious about the 920 when they see it and I want to show them how it looks without the case.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast