Speck CandyShell - Red (photos, initial impressions)

awesomeplant

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I had just ordered an inexpensive case that looks promising on Amazon, but when I saw it could take a long time to get here, I decided I wanted to try one of those overpriced cases from the AT&T store in the meantime, and take advantage of the 30-day return option if the case I had ordered online turns out to be better.

I went with the CandyShell by Speck. First time having a Speck case, and I wanted to post some photos of it because I'm actually quite impressed with it. The inside is coated with a soft rubbery material, and the outside is a hard glossy plastic. The interior edges and the corners of the phone are lined with the same rubber material as the inside. The case doesn't flex much, thanks to the hard shell, but seeing as the rubber protected the interior edges, having to push the phone in rather hard to snap in place didn't worry me.

I went with a red shell to match my red Lumia and the two look great together. The buttons have the same rubbery feel and you have to press them pretty firmly to go through to the phone's actual buttons. I tried snapping some photos and you can't feel the half-press click, but since a full-press requires a firm push, it's not too hard to make the distinction when focusing and holding for the shot. Does make me think my hands may end up shaking the phone too much from pressing so hard that it'll screw with the focus, but with my limited tests so far it wasn't a problem.

My only major concern is that the curve of the screen almost makes it look flush with the edges of the phone itself, but when I place it face-down on the table, I don't hear the screen hitting the glass, just the rubber-lined edges. I tried to capture that in one of the angles in the photos I took so you can see for yourself.

All-in-all, unless the cheap Amazon case blows me away, I may want to keep this!

And, if anyone is curious about why I want a case on the beautiful, rugged 920... I'm very hard on my phones. I burst out of the car countless times, forgetting the phone was in my lap, and bang up the corners pretty bad (though thankfully I've never cracked a screen). I believe the 920 is a rugged machine, but I know one day I'll want to sell it and this will just give me peace of mind. Plus I'm concerned about micro-scratches on the high-gloss shell. I'm sure the Speck will be prone to more micro-scratches, as I highly doubt it's an equal grade plastic, but new cases are a lot cheaper than phones :)

Total price was $38... Ouch. But without a lot to go on for now, I'm happy with my purchase. I've never owned an Otterbox, but when I saw the design for the 920 I realized my phone would end up looking like everyone else's iPhone if I got one of those. This case seems like it will protect my phone from drops very well and it allows it to keep a similar 920 look and feel, without adding much bulk!

ohayes86

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I must admit for a case that looks pretty good :) I was initially against getting a case for the 920 but I think this compliments the design rather than ruins it!

Bryant Spells

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yea I got the same case expensive but seems perfect I just needed a case that would protect against concrete and a lil durability cuz I tend to knock my focus out my lap when getting out the car. Haven't tries it cuz my phone hasn't come in yet though

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
wow that looks really nice! i've always been impressed with speck cases, my few cases (for iPhones) were all speck. you're lucky they had those in stock at your AT&T store. i visited two stores here and they were yet to receive any Lumia 920 accessories. hopefully they will be available soon.

i also checked speck's website and they have no mention of Lumia 920 cases from them.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I might grab a grey/black one for my "yellow 920" if it ever ships. Will need a little toning down of the glossy color in boardrooms or meetings.;)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I got the black one yesterday and while it offers good protection it seems to have picked up tiny scratches all over the back already. Probably not too noticable with the Red but quite evident on my black one. Fits very snug, makes it a bit difficult to remove the phone. Wireless charging with my Energizer chargind pad still works ok.

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
good god the red is bright! haha but hey it's your phone! I have a black case on order for my black 920. I forgot it was glossy. I actually wish it was matte black to match the matte phone. oh well.
How much "bulk" did it add to the phone. Looks like it's decently slender.
Thanks for sharing!

-Luke

EDIT: Am I missing something, I can't find the speck candyshell for 920 on their website :-(

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
good god the red is bright! haha but hey it's your phone! I have a black case on order for my black 920. I forgot it was glossy. I actually wish it was matte black to match the matte phone. oh well.
How much "bulk" did it add to the phone. Looks like it's decently slender.
Thanks for sharing!

-Luke

EDIT: Am I missing something, I can't find the speck candyshell for 920 on their website :-(

Well if you are looking for matte black case which I was as well I ordered a diztronic case

Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for Nokia Lumia 920 (AT&T) [Diztronic Retail Packaging]: Cell Phones & Accessories

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up^
In the photos that case looks fantastic. When yours arrives would you mind posting some of your own pictures of the case(in a new thread if that's more appropriate). Since I've already got the speck on order(should be in this week) I'll give that a go at first.

-Luke

SocksWthSandals

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I've always liked the Candy Shell case from Speck. I had a few on my iPhones over the years. Really want one of these now but none of the stores around here have any in stock. Only downside is the small plastic piece over the charging dock usually breaks fast.

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've always liked the Candy Shell case from Speck. I had a few on my iPhones over the years. Really want one of these now but none of the stores around here have any in stock. Only downside is the small plastic piece over the charging dock usually breaks fast.

yea i know what you mean about that small plastic part on the bottom. i got the black one earlier in the week and it seems to be holding up, that part still seems flimsy to me though and i anticipate the same end result with it.

have you checked AT&T stores? that was the only place that i found that had any. they also had a belkin case that was more of a bumper type case for $35.

SocksWthSandals

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yea I called around to 4 stores. One store seems to have some in. So Ill go check it out tomorrow and let you guys know.

The plastic piece always breaks :( Its just a question of when.

I wish SwitchEasy would do something other than iPhone cases. I bet they could make some cool ones. They had a few for the iPhone 3g that I really liked, however their models for the 4 were just lame and semi recycled ideas.

All in all, cant go wrong with a candy shell even if the plastic piece breaks off

loco4burritos

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Attachments

• 2012-11-19T12-05-49_0.jpg
    2012-11-19T12-05-49_0.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2012-11-19T12-05-50_3.jpg
    2012-11-19T12-05-50_3.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 12

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was doing the same search and for some reason these cases don't show up anywhere besides the AT&T website (from what I can tell).

edit: wow something is really wrong with the Quick Reply on these boards (when hitting Reply in the post and then clicking Quick Reply), it keeps on double posting for some reason.

MaximW97

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I just realized instead of CandyShell I should search for Candy Shell with a space.

They don't have yellow yet. I believe they will have it pretty soon so I just bought a crappy yellow case from Amazon. My 920 ia already collecting tiny, hard-to-observe scratches.

MaximW97

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just checked the trade-in value for Lumia 900 (which is only 11 months old) on Ebay ($90) and Amazon (not found). Almost none value.. Gazelle don't even accept trade-in for 920. I think I'm gonna buy a crappy case for hiking and traveling, and go without case for everyday life, rather than paying $40 for a case, which means that when I sell my 920 next year, I'll lose $40. I don't think I will give it to my parents since it's already hard enough to learn how to use an iPhone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb