Nokia Wireless Charging Plate vs. Stand

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as how I'm lucky enough to have gotten my hands on both a wireless charging plate and charging stand for my 920, I thought I'd just write a quick blurb about them. First off, let me just say that I find both of these accessories to be amazing. While it may not seem like much, the ability to just plop your phone down on something and have it charge is really great. Sure, with the plate you are pretty much prevented from using the phone while it charges, but I find that I can easily do it when I go to bed or while I'm watching TV. There are always times I can manage to not be playing with my phone for a couple of hours:)

If you can only afford to buy one of these items over the other, I definitely recommend going with the charging stand. The built in NFC, while technically a gimmick, I actually find myself using every time I put my phone on the stand. I have it set to launch my Nightstand Clock app. So, if nothing else, I at least get a desk clock while it's charging. The other thing I've notice though (and this could purely be my imagination) is that the stand seems to charge the phone faster than the plate. I don't know why that is the case, but my phone seems to charge fully in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours on the stand, with my clock app running constantly, where as the plate seems to take close to 3 1/2 hours to charge with the phone being in standby the whole time.

Either way, if you can get either one, you should. It's a little bit of the future you can use right now:)

That's my 2 cents!

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hah! What happens when you tap the NFC? Does the phone emit a puff of smoke and a sigh of contentment? That is rather ingenious!

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the stand at home and the plate that came with the 920 in my office. And by the way, don't pay the prices people are asking on eBay for the hard to find stand. Check your local AT&T stores first. In my case, they didn't have them on display, but they had a couple of the stands "in the back".

smartrthanu

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you with the charging stand noticed that XBox Music isn't an option in the auto-launch application list? Kind of a bummer, I bought the stand for my desk at work and usually start playing music when I sit down.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you with the charging stand noticed that XBox Music isn't an option in the auto-launch application list? Kind of a bummer, I bought the stand for my desk at work and usually start playing music when I sit down.

Unfortunately, for some reason the NFC action only seems to work with 3rd party apps. Daniel mentioned this in his review, but I don't remember if he said why this is the case.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
How sturdy is the stand? Could I use it in a car?

The stand is very sturdy, very well built. If you could find a way to secure it in and hardwire it to your car, you could definitely use it there. You would need to also find a way to secure the phone to the stand. As is, the phone simply rests on the stand.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the stand and set it up with my Nokia 822. When I activate the nfc, I get "Search for app? You need an app to do this. Would you like to search...?" But when I click search I get "Sorry, no apps found." Any idea why I'm not getting anything?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I also got my charging stand today from MS store. No complaints so far, charges fast and without glitch. Also it looks amazingly classy with the phone standing there xD
Haven't tried NFC yet, which night clock app to use??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)