Wireless Charger WCP-700: No more beeps!

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys,

This is my second WCP-700 that I have modded so that it doesn't beep every time you place your phone on the mat. I figured I'd take pictures and share this time around, in case anybody else is driven crazy by that stupid beep.
The LG WCP-700 is a Verizon-branded Qi standard charging pad. I was using it with a removable battery cover for the HTC Rezound, and am now using it with my Verizon HTC 8X. This should work with any Qi standard phone - including the Nokia Lumia range. I bought my pad from Amazon, it was $40 Prime-eligible. Keep an eye out :)
All pictures were taken with my 8X.

0) Gather your tools. You'll need a small Phillips screwdriver, a flat-head screwdriver, and maybe a pair of pliers to help pull off the speaker.
Step0.jpg

1) Remove the rubber pads and screws that secure the back to the front.
Step1.jpg

2) Carefully remove the back plate. The front of the pad is secured to the frame with sticky stuff - don't bother unsticking it. The back plate should come off with a little bit of love.
Step2.jpg

3) Once you have exposed the circuit board, remove the four screws. They might be stuck in there pretty good... careful not to strip the screws.
Step3.jpg

4) The buzzer that generates the tone is at the top left of the circuit board. It's secured to the board with a white adhesive. It's the big fat black box closest to the charging coils.
Step4.jpg

5) I started by breaking the adhesive to make the box easier to remove. I just used a tiny flat-head screwdriver.
Step5.jpg

6) I then wiggled the flat-head screw driver underneath the box and gently broke the buzzer. You'll feel it "pop".
Step6.jpg

7) Once the buzzer is broken, it's easy to pull off the board.
Step7.jpg

8) You can see that the buzzer isn't completely removed... it's just broken. The electric current gets to the buzzer, but can't go through it, so it doesn't buzz.
Step8.jpg

9) Reassemble in reverse order.

I found some regulatory filings that indicate the buzzer is the end of that circuit segment, which means you aren't interrupting anything in the circuit. You're just ending it early. I've been charging my phone on this for months with no issues.

ranagnos

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, thanks! I just got this charger and the beeps were awful. Following your steps, I found that even after I got all the adhesive around the speaker module broken, I still couldn't get the outside of the speaker box to pop off the circuit board the way yours did. So instead, I stuck the flathead screwdriver in the horizontal slot on the front of the speaker module box and was able to pry open a hole in the top plastic of the box. From there, I was able to remove the loose little magnetic disk from inside the top of the speaker module. I put it back together, and no more beeps! So that might be an easier procedure for others. No need to break the adhesive and try to remove the outside of the speaker box. Just break into the speaker box and remove that metallic disk.

Breadman Farrell

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a used Rezound which came with the wireless charger. I charge my phone nearby my bed - couldn't stand the beeping throughout the night! Followed Soaringthor's steps above, but when I went to remove the black plastic housing from the speaker, the whole unit lifted up off the board. I almost tore the copper connection, oops! The black housing had a bottom which prevented me from accessing the speaker. I followed Ranagnos' suggestion and chipped away the top of the plastic housing using the existing slit as a starting point. Grabbed a pair of tweezers and removed the tiny magnetic metal disc. There's a larger metal disc/plate covering the rest of the speaker, which does not need to be removed, just the tiny disc. I re-stuck the black plastic housing onto the circuit board with a teeny piece of double-stick tape, making sure not to cover the metal contacts.

I think depending on when your wireless charger was made, you may encounter a similar issue where the plastic housing is one unit, making access to the speaker more difficult.

Regardless, I am now charging in silence! Thank you both. :excited:

illitero

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the guide! I took it apart a few days ago before looking up any guides and didn't identify the block as being the speaker. Looked this up, and blam!

However, I thought I would try to soften the sound before disabling it all together. So I took the dust cover and crammed it into the hole with a tiny screwdriver, instead haha. Now it's bearable with a higher pitch that is actually barely audible. So I can stand it now. At least for the time being...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb