4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,894 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,895 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    OK, you guys are probably the best site for WP7 news, I wonder if you are working on a WP7 application? Of all the WP sites I think this one is still one of the ones that supports WP7 sensibly, so how about it?
  2. cdook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    675 Posts
    Global Posts
    704 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I've been thinking the same thing too. Trying to load the site over 3g on the phone is painfully slow. I use Twitter to monitor stories here and Board Express for the forums.

    It'd be nice if they had a mobile version of the site and forums like their sister site crackberry.com has.

    Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
  3. Rico's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    m.wpcentral.com is the mobile version. It lacks comments, however.

    To be honest, I live in the browser, and don't really have much use for apps dedicated to news sites. I'd rather see websites designed for HTML 5, particularly mobile sites.
  4. cdook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    675 Posts
    Global Posts
    704 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Oh yea I forgot there was a mobile site. I kind of wish they showed story thumbnails on the front page and a quick blurb of the story. Right now it's just a page of headlines. Comments would nice too like you said.

    Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
  5. Verizon Hopeful's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    m.wpcentral.com is the mobile version. It lacks comments, however.

    To be honest, I live in the browser, and don't really have much use for apps dedicated to news sites. I'd rather see websites designed for HTML 5, particularly mobile sites.
    @Rico, I agree with you about the lack of comments and the preference for websites to have mobile versions of their sites rather than "dedicated apps". Note that HTML 5 support isn't required to achieve that goal.

    At one point in time, the original designer at the website Windows Phone Thoughts (don't think he is still there) did custom modifications of the forum software they were running. The mods enabled comments to be posted on the mobile version of their site from Windows Mobile phones. It was a highly polished and fun to use site. I wish WPCentral would do something similar.
  6. Rico's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Verizon Hopeful View Post
    @Rico, I agree with you about the lack of comments and the preference for websites to have mobile versions of their sites rather than "dedicated apps". Note that HTML 5 support isn't required to achieve that goal.

    At one point in time, the original designer at the website Windows Phone Thoughts (don't think he is still there) did custom modifications of the forum software they were running. The mods enabled comments to be posted on the mobile version of their site from Windows Mobile phones. It was a highly polished and fun to use site. I wish WPCentral would do something similar.
    Not required, no. But HTML 5 would allow for more app-like sites which would be useable across devices, reducing the need for platform-specific apps.
  7. gibbyhome's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    563 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I would love to see a WPCentral APP I agree over the web is not good on the phone
  8. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,035 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Not sure it's even needed. CrackBerry only added support for Tapatalk/Board Express a couple days ago, so they needed a mobile app. I actually rather use Tapatalk/BExpress for the forums over the app. And for new, RSS readers or even the mobile version in the browser.
  9. Verizon Hopeful's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Not required, no. But HTML 5 would allow for more app-like sites which would be useable across devices, reducing the need for platform-specific apps.
    I guess I'm not familiar enough with HTML 5 to understand how it facilitates usability across devices. Can you give me examples of what HTML 5 brings to the table in this regard?
  10. electricbopeep's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Seles has a Windows Phone News app that includes the WPCentral feed. It's basically a specialized version of the Weave RSS reader.

    Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    gibbyhome and Duvi like this.
  11. Rich Edmonds's Avatar

    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Thanks for your feedback everyone, will forward this onto management coupled with more milkshake for bribery purposes. Will keep you all updated when I receive a response :)
  12. foosball's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    423 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RichEdmonds View Post
    Thanks for your feedback everyone, will forward this onto management coupled with more milkshake for bribery purposes. Will keep you all updated when I receive a response :)
    As long as you are passing the word on, it would great to have a nifty app like at the Precentral site:

    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ntral-app.html
  13. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,243 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,479 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    I agree. I use boardexpress for the forums. But you can't view/comment on the main page articles.

    Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
  14. kalldrexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    I don't really understand why all *central sites are so crappy for mobile browsing, since you know, they ALL cover mobile smartphones. Android Central had an app and it was annoying, because you should be able to just view it efficiently from the web browser and not have to install a whole other app for it.

    Making a good mobile site would be better, especially since I know there is new news on wpcentral due to twitter (thus allowing me to just tap on a link to open the article).
  15. Daniel Rubino's Avatar
    Editor-in-chief

    Posts
    992 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    OK, you guys are probably the best site for WP7 news, I wonder if you are working on a WP7 application? Of all the WP sites I think this one is still one of the ones that supports WP7 sensibly, so how about it?
    We would never let our fans down. So yes, things are in the works. But we want to make sure we get it right.

    As to the site being more mobile friendly, we're working on things there too--just trying to stabilize a bit before new features.

Posting Permissions

";