Zune Pass Question

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Quick question on Zune Pass. I went ahead and did the 14 day free trial and I am sure I will continue and pay for it when that expires if I can figure out just exactly how it works.

I was under the impression that you could download songs and movies (basically renting them) and keep a few songs a month as well. The issue I am having is no matter which of the 3 devices I use (Zune on my PC, Samsung Focus, and Xbox 360) it is asking me to purchase the songs and movies with Microsoft points.

If I still have to use points, what exactly does the monthly Zune pass get me?? If someone could clarify this I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance!

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
On the computer the button to right of each song should say download and it won't prompt you to buy it. On the phone if you go into an album you should be able to press and hold a song or the album itself and select download. If you're not seeing this then make sure your trial started.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What GaMMa...I was doing the same thing until someone here on the forums guieded me the right direction. OH, once you use Zune Pass, they pretty much have you hooked. It's pretty great.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
I love it. I had it before when I was using a Zune 8GB player. I let it lapse and wish I hadn't.

I have a monthly subscription and get 10 free music downloads a month. These are mine to keep for good, even if I quit the service. I wish it were 12, because that is roughly how many songs are on CD's nowadays. Make sure you use all of the downloads every month, because they do not roll over. If you have any unused at the end of the billing cycle, they are gone and you get a fresh 10.

You can download lots of music, but I did run into some music that was just not downloadable on zune pass and was purchase only.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm finding more and more music that's purchase only. Kinda sucks. Well nit kinda, it does suck.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It's worth saying that if you're in the UK you don't get the 10 downloads to keep, which really harms the appeal of the service :(

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sheesh, I didn't know that. I guess I better go get my free 10. Anyone know of the reasoning behind this.
I love it. I had it before when I was using a Zune 8GB player. I let it lapse and wish I hadn't.

I have a monthly subscription and get 10 free music downloads a month. These are mine to keep for good, even if I quit the service. I wish it were 12, because that is roughly how many songs are on CD's nowadays. Make sure you use all of the downloads every month, because they do not roll over. If you have any unused at the end of the billing cycle, they are gone and you get a fresh 10.

You can download lots of music, but I did run into some music that was just not downloadable on zune pass and was purchase only.
Got a quick question. If I decide to buy one of the songs that I've already "downloaded" will it just change the downloaded song to "purchased" or will I have duplicates.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Sheesh, I didn't know that. I guess I better go get my free 10. Anyone know of the reasoning behind this.

Got a quick question. If I decide to buy one of the songs that I've already "downloaded" will it just change the downloaded song to "purchased" or will I have duplicates.

Yes. I download songs first and when my next 10 free kick in, I convert to purchase. Just right click for context menu (in Zune) and click Buy Now. If already purchased, buy now will not be an available option.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the free 10 songs came about because a lot of people were complaining about the price for the Zune Pass. At the time it was PC and Zune only, with no web client or Xbox 360 support. Napster was doing a 5 dollar streaming service and Rhapsody was offering the same thing as Zune for 10.

I'd still like to see Zune Pass go to 10. I pay 10 for Netflix and that's video. Although I just bought a year Zune Pass which works out to 12 or 13 a month.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Whoa, I didn't know I could stream full songs with my phone from the Marketplace using a Zune Pass. I thought it was only a 30 sec. preview. This will save precious space! #winning.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
To add to jimski's post, if you have Zune Pass, when you go to buy songs on your phone, it'll default to using one of your ten monthly song credits as payment. Like jimski, I download music then see what music I'm listening to a lot, and actually buy those albums/songs using my credits. I've started streaming albums versus downloading them not only to save on space, but also to keep from going crazy listening to new music. It's easy to go on a download bender and download tons of music that you barely listen to. Far too easy. :)

frylock

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
What kinds of things are you finding as only for purchase? I've only seen a few, and in all of those cases, there was a download version available as well, i.e. 2 copies of the same album, and one I could dl as part of the pass, and one I could not.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I see some here and there too that are purchase only. It seems like most of the time it's popular rock music like Seether or Nickleback at one point. Same thing with the White Stripes. All of those are available for free with Zune Pass though. I want to say you can't get that Grenade song by Bruno Mars on Zune Pass. I think that's who sings it...

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Zune pass is almost useless to me every song / artist that I like are marked not available artists like ZZ Top, Lynard Skynard, and Hank Williams Jr. are all a no go. I am in my free trial, will that change if I actualy purchase a Zune Pass?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Check and see if the songs are listed twice. I had that problem with some songs. Idk what's the deal with that. But I'm at about a 90% success rate of finding the songs I want for download.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have searched Lynyrd Skynyrd every way I can think of I have tried by artist and by individual song still a no go can someone who is not running a trial search and see if there are any download-able songs by that band? I am curious if the "not available" tag is only for people running the 14 day trial.

TIA
Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb