These available or coming for WP7? What have you heard?

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Any word on when or if the following apps will come to WP7? I'm making one last pass through the apps to see if switching to WP7 is a viable alternative for me.

Spotify
Pandora
Tivo(for scheduling)
Dish(for scheduling)
Gtalk built into messenger?
Google+
RSS reader that works with google reader?
ebook reader(for loading up books you already have on your desktop)

I know people will suggest last.fm, I don't like it. Or zune pass, I don't want to pay $15/month.

I can use IM+ for gtalk but i'm hoping for a more integrated experience. Everyone I know who does IM uses gtalk, don't know a single person on messenger.

I like google+ way more than facebook.

Most RSS readers that import from google reader don't display the feeds the way I like. In google reader I have several folders I made with many feeds inside of them. I like it to display that when I select the folder I see all the articles for all the feeds within. Most apps will not merge all articles but instead you have to select and view each feed individually.
On my ipad I use feeddler and on android I use greader. These are the only ones that display the articles the way I like. I have no idea what to use on WP7.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Any word on when or if the following apps will come to WP7? I'm making one last pass through the apps to see if switching to WP7 is a viable alternative for me.

Spotify
Pandora
Tivo(for scheduling)
Dish(for scheduling)
Google+

I know people will suggest last.fm, I don't like it. Or zune pass, I don't want to pay $15/month.

I can use IM+ for gtalk but i'm hoping for a more integrated experience. Everyone I know who does IM uses gtalk, don't know a single person on messenger.

I like google+ way more than facebook.

Most RSS readers that import from google reader don't display the feeds the way I like. In google reader I have several folders I made with many feeds inside of them. I like it to display that when I select the folder I see all the articles for all the feeds within. Most apps will not merge all articles but instead you have to select and view each feed individually.
On my ipad I use feeddler and on android I use greader. These are the only ones that display the articles the way I like. I have no idea what to use on WP7.

I am dying without Pandora. The zune pass is simply not the elegant solution that pandora is. fine if you know what song you want to listen to but much less good for just listening to music (no ondevice playlist support for example).

There are a trillion google reader apps. I don't know if any have folders, but I would imagine at least one of them does.

I know they have kindle, but not barnes and noble :( Not sure what else is there.

Nope for sure:
Spotify
Pandora
Google+

Probably:

Don't Know:
Dish(for scheduling)
Tivo(for scheduling)

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I know they have kindle, but not barnes and noble :( Not sure what else is there.

The kindle app only opens books purchased from amazon. I have thousands of ebooks here i've collected over the years I want to be able to use. I know on ios I just use itunes to sync books and read them with ibook. On android I can copy and paste them to dropbox or email them to myself or put them on the SD card and read them that way.

Also, what about an official dropbox app? I did'nt see one. I know people will say skydrive and I will certainly begin to use it but dropbox is available on more platforms and integrated with more apps so at least for now I have to continue to use it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Smart DJ and Zune Pass. Works for me. But honesty, looks like you would be better off with Android. Plenty of choices.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been spending a lot of time with last.fm, on my desktop and my xbox. I'm trying to get songs rated, setup some stations for myself. But it's no where near as smart as pandora in determining what you like and choosing the best songs it thinks you might like. Pandora also seems to play much newer songs and even when listening to my classic stations, pandora just seems to know what I like better. Just much smarter.

Zune pass looks better than last.fm as well and smarter. Just don't want to pay for it.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Zune Pass is totally worth it, considering you can use it on any PC with an internet connection. Not to mention your phone and Xbox 360. You should have both of those, right?

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Zune Pass is totally worth it, considering you can use it on any PC with an internet connection. Not to mention your phone and Xbox 360. You should have both of those, right?

Still don't want to pay for it. I have a 360 but i'm not going to renew my gold subscription if that matters. Really it just collects dust. I have PC's but my primary machine is a mac. I want to sync with itunes so my podcasts are in sync across many different devices. I also have several ios devices.

And I don't have a windows phone. I have a few days left to evaluate my android phone before my 30 days are up. And this phone is working really really well so I don't think I will get a windows phone unless something changes in the next day or two.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, then, I think you're set. So nice to get something that works well and just how you want it to. Good luck with your Android phone!

Enemy Zero

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Has no one heard of Slacker? Slacker radio is just like Pandora but has a larger library. It runs in the background on Mango and allows you to save stations to the onboard memory so you can listen to them later without using data or battery as much.

It's a great program that does the same thing that Pandora and smart DJ does but it's almost as if no one has ever given them a shot. The saving your stations to memory thing sells it for me. I can do long car trips without needing data to listen to music.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Slacker. I prefer it over Pandora. I don't have my windows phone yet, but Slacker is going to be one of my first apps. Also, i'm not sure about this, but doesn't zune pass pretty much make Spotify redundant? It is a little more expensive, but you get to keep 10 songs per month. Am i missing something?

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Never heard of slacker. Just now checking it out and it seems pretty slick.

Edit - I've spent a lot of time with it and i'm very impressed. Even the free version is great. The lack of pandora was a deal breaker for me and this is even better.

So when the Samsung Focus S comes out i'm going to sell my Android and pick up a windows phone. That and I watched the Windows 8 keynote at the Build conference and it sealed the deal for me. Going to sell this imac too. Anyone want to buy? ;)

Last edited:

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

i've seen this suggested a good many times. I just wanted to warn those who are hoping to make Zune pass act at all like Pandora. It's just aint happenin' I am sure its a fine service if you have time to monkey around with playlists and stuff on your PC, but if 95% of its use is on the go then its really not up to snuff. Using it in the car is down right dangerous. The interface is not intuitive, there is no on the fly playlist support and it takes like 4 taps just to get to searching for music.

I am sure there are some ways to massage it to work better but it wasn't worth it for me. I let my 14 days expire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3