Apps missing from WP7

heyitwrx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting after lurking the forums for a while and finding lots of great information about WP7. I just got my first WP7 phone last week and I am really starting to enjoy it! Now to the real purpose of the post:

I work in the wireless industry and my boss has asked me to compile a list of apps that are missing from WP7 that are present on other platforms. Since I have only begun to scratch the surface of WP7 I thought who better to ask than people who have been using it longer and obviously care about improving the platform.

Also any really stand out apps that are in the Marketplace would be appreciated, preferably ones that are either unique to WP7 or are just better on WP7 than on others (especially iOS and Android).

TL;DR: Give me a list of apps that are missing on WP7.

Thanks!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Scrabble clone 'Words By Post' on WP7 is cross platform with Android & iOS ajmstilt (Washing mouth out with bleach now) ;)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A better question would be, what type of apps is your boss looking for? Then you could see if there's a WP7 app to fill that need.

heyitwrx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the answers so far! Keep them coming!

Figure 8: It sounds like I may not have explained it clearly... He is not looking for a specific app. I am putting together basically a list of apps WP7 is missing that it needs to be competitive with iOS and Android.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the answers so far! Keep them coming!

Figure 8: It sounds like I may not have explained it clearly... He is not looking for a specific app. I am putting together basically a list of apps WP7 is missing that it needs to be competitive with iOS and Android.

Does he not also want to know what apps are exclusive to the WP? ;)

heyitwrx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Does he not also want to know what apps are exclusive to the WP? ;)

Any stand out apps for WP7 would be appreciated as well. Preferably exclusive ones, but since I just got my WP7 phone this weekend I wouldn't mind hearing about any amazing apps even if they are not exclusive.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Any stand out apps for WP7 would be appreciated as well. Preferably exclusive ones, but since I just got my WP7 phone this weekend I wouldn't mind hearing about any amazing apps even if they are not exclusive.

The apps I use the most are:

SuperTube (allowing you to download videos straight to your phone).
I'm a wp7 (community with latest news regarding WP).
Weave - news app customisable to your interests.
FitLife620 - Awesome app for all things gym related.
DC Comics
Xbox Live
F1 World Pro - Very good for following F1 and sourcing info on teams, drivers, with live tile for headline updates.
Musix Match - Will play any song from your playlist and display the lyrics and bio.
Kik Messenger
VLC Play
... and of course... WPCentral. ;)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
SuperTube - Nice Youtube app
WPCentral - Nice Apple site app :)
Board Express - Can post on web forums
100 pushups - app that trains you to do 100 push up without stopping
Cocktail - Alcohol app
kik - BBM like messaging app
Song Twitter - tweet what's playing in zune
BBC News - nice looking news app
Engadget - tech blog app
IM+ - IM app
Miso - Tweets/Facebook post what movie/tv show you are watching
ESPN - Follow your favorite sports teams
Vevo - Music video app
Ebay - ebay app
We're IN - Very nice location/meeting app

heyitwrx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys! I am definitely going to have to check some of those apps out!

Anyone else have any other apps WP7 is missing? Or any stand out apps? If your buddy is talking up his iPhone or Android device and all his apps what one app will you pull up to really show him what WP7 can do?

NotTarts

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys! I am definitely going to have to check some of those apps out!

Anyone else have any other apps WP7 is missing? Or any stand out apps? If your buddy is talking up his iPhone or Android device and all his apps what one app will you pull up to really show him what WP7 can do?
A few missing that I would use:
- Dragon Dictation
- Photosynth (!) - coming with Mango
- Google Latitude
- Google Earth

Windows Phone doesn't have many standout apps, but its main strength are built-in apps and crossplatform apps that are much better than their iPhone/Android counterparts thanks to the Metro interface. A few examples that I use:
- Wikipedia Reader (that is the name of the app)
- IMdb
- AU Weather Pro
- LazyTube
- Tripview Sydney
- Music+videos hub (internal)
- Marketplace app (internal) is also one of the best out there, it's even faster than the Android Market on a dual-core Android device: http://youtu.be/2UFL-er5orM?t=2m

Last edited:

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I understand that specific apps rule the various marketplaces, but people need to think about what they need to accomplish, not what apps they want that exist in other marketplaces.

Here's a few questions I would ask your boss:

Do you really want Word with Friends (or any other singular app) to determine your platform choice?
Is your phone mainly for business or personal use?
Do you care more about games or productivity apps?

Really, our list of 'great' apps is cool, but meaningless other than a show. All that matters is what an individual would use.

I was on Android early and I loved hacking it up and doing anything I want, but I had no problem moving to Windows Phone, because I didn't use my phone to run certain apps, I used my phone to accomplish tasks - and there are apps for any task in the Marketplace.

now that I've said all that, have him check out Fuse, Samsung photo studio, Birdsong, comica, Directv, epicurious, espn scorecenter, evernote, flixster, graphic.ly, handyscan, iheartradio, Kik, lunchbox, mosaic, msn movies, network dashboard, newslab, radio hub, remote desktop, scoremobile, slacker, surfcube, TED, timedancer, tonido, vevo, wordpress, and Weave. :D

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Missing:
Pandora.
Oh, and Pandora.
Did I mention Pandora?

Ampache client...as a work around to no Pandora

box.net
snapfish
dropbox

PS
Pandora

Last edited:

heyitwrx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I understand that specific apps rule the various marketplaces, but people need to think about what they need to accomplish, not what apps they want that exist in other marketplaces.

Here's a few questions I would ask your boss:

Do you really want Word with Friends (or any other singular app) to determine your platform choice?
Is your phone mainly for business or personal use?
Do you care more about games or productivity apps?

Really, our list of 'great' apps is cool, but meaningless other than a show. All that matters is what an individual would use.

I was on Android early and I loved hacking it up and doing anything I want, but I had no problem moving to Windows Phone, because I didn't use my phone to run certain apps, I used my phone to accomplish tasks - and there are apps for any task in the Marketplace

I completely agree with what you are saying but we were looking for this as more of a recommendation for MS than a buying decision for him (he already has a WP7 phone).

And as unfortunate as it is consumers really do make a lot of their purchasing decisions based on the stupidest things, such as does the platform have angry birds. You have no idea how many times I have been asked if a phone has Angry Birds or not! I have seen people refuse to buy phones because it is missing a single, seemingly not important app (like Words with Friends). So we are trying to help eliminate those reasons for people to not buy WP7.

PS. No, I don't work for MS or any manufacturer, its a third party company.

heyitwrx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Missing:
Pandora.
Oh, and Pandora.
Did I mention Pandora?

Ampache client...as a work around to no Pandora

box.net
snapfish
dropbox

PS
Pandora

So just to be clear... you really want a Spotify app?

And i know the box.net and dropbox is killing me. I have always used dropbox for moving files and then when I picked up a Touchpad during the fire sale the box.net 50GB was awesome. But neither has a native client on WP7 :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo