SMS over WiFi app?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Since I received a free Focus the other day, I've loved using it over only WiFi (my current cell phone's contract isn't up on Verizon). However, if I had the ability to text, it would put it really over the top. I have tried various apps from the Marketplace, but I have yet to find a suitable replacement. So far, I think GoVoice has been the best choice, since it does pretty much everything. However, development has been dropped for it and it has no notification system and it is still a little buggy. Does anyone know of another app that I might find useful? Thanks!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I take it you haven't activated the phone on AT&T yet, so you have no phone number, other than your Google Voice number?

If you call AT&T you can get a Pay As You Go SIM card with a phone number mailed to you for like $6.67, Then put $10 on it for SMS. Changing SIM cards is easy.

Just a thought.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
That's a good idea. I am just trying to keep it down to one phone bill a month, so until my contract expires on my Imagio, I just want to keep the Focus WiFi only. $10/mo isn't terrible, though. I'm not sure how much I'd like a new phone number, either, though.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That's a good idea. I am just trying to keep it down to one phone bill a month, so until my contract expires on my Imagio, I just want to keep the Focus WiFi only. $10/mo isn't terrible, though. I'm not sure how much I'd like a new phone number, either, though.

I understand. I guess your focus is kind of like a mini-tablet right now. :cool:

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Just an update (although I doubt anyone cares): I kept on using GoVoice app. I also have my Google account forwarding my texts to my regular cell phone, so that I will know when I receive a text, regardless of whether I have WiFi on my Focus or not. I'm definitely glad I have this, as typing on the Focus is a hundred times better than my laggy Imagio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon