XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. littlesteelo16's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I am planning on getting a windows phone, and was wondering how the trial apps in the marketplace work. Are they time limited, or are they simply a cut down version of the full app?
  2. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,658 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,157 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    More of a cut down something you'll want is missing usually the coolest part of the app
  3. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    like BIG D5 Said

    ether

    - your missing parts of the features
    - or it can give you FULL access for limited time
    - it can give you FULL access but with adds. (which is the free version but still considered trial on some apps )
  4. joemd60's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I have an issue with trial apps. They should give full use for a limited time, so you can decide whether or not you want it.
  5. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    I have an issue with trial apps. They should give full use for a limited time, so you can decide whether or not you want it.
    I asked this question last year and the explanation I got from a dev was that the app had no way of maintaining a date/clock register within the app, so no easy way to use a date/time countdown. That may have changed with the new APIs that came with Mango. Not sure.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
  6. thed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    993 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    I asked this question last year and the explanation I got from a dev was that the app had no way of maintaining a date/clock register within the app, so no easy way to use a date/time countdown. That may have changed with the new APIs that came with Mango. Not sure.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    I haven't tried it myself, but I don't see why devs couldn't keep track of the time. The events to do this are already there. Just check the time on Application_Launching or Application_Activated and compare it to the time on Application_Deactivated / Application_Closing. Unless I'm missing something, that seems pretty simple to me.
  7. trafandtravel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    The way the trial works its completely up to the developer. My trials are always fully featured, but you can only use them 5 times for example.
  8. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    I haven't tried it myself, but I don't see why devs couldn't keep track of the time. The events to do this are already there. Just check the time on Application_Launching or Application_Activated and compare it to the time on Application_Deactivated / Application_Closing. Unless I'm missing something, that seems pretty simple to me.

    yeah there a problem with that doh ...

    if you chaneg the time/date on your device you could have the TIME Trial for ever.....

    they did that with BB apps and caused allot of Piracy problems. . (not sure if ti works with WP , but i dont see why it wouldnt )

    Think best bet si FULL features , but can only use a maximum of 5/10/15 times ..ect…
  9. Jay Bennett's Avatar
    Resident Developer

    Posts
    1,073 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Yeah as others have said, you can pretty much reference a conditional of "isTrial" when you're writing apps, and decide whether or not this part of the code will be accessible because of it.

    The problem with going time or number-of-use based is that all a user has to do is uninstall your app and then download it from the marketplace again to re-start their trial. Which is why Microsoft recommends you close off certain parts of the code in a trial situation.

    Obviously I prefer the unlimited time/number of uses but with adverts model, then lock out a few features that go above and beyond what you might expect for free.
  10. joemd60's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    I asked this question last year and the explanation I got from a dev was that the app had no way of maintaining a date/clock register within the app, so no easy way to use a date/time countdown. That may have changed with the new APIs that came with Mango. Not sure.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    I have seen apps that have like a 3 day trial period. Sometimes whe you pay for an app to see the full version, you discover you don't like it.
  11. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    I have seen apps that have like a 3 day trial period. Sometimes whe you pay for an app to see the full version, you discover you don't like it.
    Again, pre-Mango I believe there was no database capability within an app, so I don't think they could record occurrences or start/end times. Some apps with time/day limits connected to a server, which could track your events. I do remember an app with a time limit that I used for about 4 months before finally couging up the 0.99. Simply forgot it was still a trial.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
  12. joemd60's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    Again, pre-Mango I believe there was no database capability within an app, so I don't think they could record occurrences or start/end times. Some apps with time/day limits connected to a server, which could track your events. I do remember an app with a time limit that I used for about 4 months before finally couging up the 0.99. Simply forgot it was still a trial.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Thanks jimski, I was not questioning your theory. I should have made myself more clear. In the past with phones I have had, I have seen apps with trial periods.
    For example when I had my Blackberry, Berryweather was an app with a 3 day trial period, then you had to buy it.
    But at least you had use of the full version so you can decide if you like it or not,
    I just think its a good idea.
    It's not a big deal, like the saying goes. It is what it is.

Posting Permissions