best gym app?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
What do people rate as the best *gym* app? Most exercise/sports apps are based around the principle that they will track your movements via GPS because you are active outside, most of my stuff is in the gym and I want to track my time on the trendmill, reps on the weights etc - anything useful out there?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
MyFitnessPal is a pretty good and free one... it's on pretty much all the mobile platforms and has one of the largest food database.

Calorie Tracker is also free (for a limited time)... I'd grab that up before it's a paid app again and see if you like it.

Red Lemur

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I think Excel(!) is the best app for tracking gym visits.

There was one I really liked on Android for the gym called JEFIT - really comprehensive and lots of diagrams and videos demonstrating weights exercises - you could e.g. tap a body area on a cartoon figure and it would list exercises for that part.

According to this JEFIT Forum
Windows Phone 7 [Archive] - JEFIT Community Forums
they are looking to do a WP7 version. Might be worth adding your voice to that forum to increase that likelihood.

When I've tried to use an app to record my exercises I kept finding it was taking me a minute to figure out what the app named the exercise before it would let me record something against it! Often it differed from my own name for it, or from the name my gym uses. When you're out of breath and about to collapse ;) it's the last thing you need.

Personally though I've found the best way is just using a spreadsheet on the phone - i.e. date headings along the top as column headings and types of exercise as row headings. I found with my running and my weights I just wanted to make sure I was (a) beating my previous achievements (times or weights), and (b) balancing my exercises (e.g. not favouring one body area too much). I found using a spreadsheet was actually much quicker to keep track of that than trying to fit in with the way an app wanted me to record my results (and easier to enter when in the gym).

What's lovely about WP7 is the (Excel) spreadsheet functionality is SO much nicer than android - being able to quickly pan around and pinch to zoom is great - if you've ever seen the vile horrific pile of kak that google (or even 3rd party versions) dares to call a spreadsheet app you'll be very glad you've got a WP7! It also means you can (by the built in cloud syncing) easily see the same data on your PC without having to worry whether an app is saving things in a reusable, well backed up, or syncable format.

I agree myfitnesspal is great if you want to track diet, but I never managed to keep myfitnesspal up to date and my main focus has been the exercise (which it doesn't cover very well).

Good luck with your training.

Ian

Last edited:

adambg

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
iGym - Workout Tracker

You might like to check out a gym app I made. I found the ones on the app store weren't exactly what I wanted so I made my own. Feel free to check it out.

It's called '[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/igym-workout-tracker/id545510339?ls=1&mt=8&at=10l3Vy]iGym - Workout Tracker[/URL]' and it's available on the app store.

Enjoy :)

Adam

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use these apps together and so far, pretty good.
-My Fitness Pal --use this one to track my calorie intake, but haven't used it to input my workouts for now.
-Gym PocketGuide --use this one to help as a trainer. Just starting out again, so I was a little rusty on my routines. Really good app, it's from bodybuilding.com
-Ripped --this one may have everything you're looking for. Calculators, activities tracker, create your own routines, statistics for profile and workouts, etc.
-6 Week Training --pretty good for those, that is not quite ready for the gym, for whatever reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss