Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. LeoBloom.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi,

    Interested in switching over to WP7, since I've become more aware of Android's lack of polish, and am not interested in the iOS devices. I use Google Voice for its free SMS capabilities. Unfortunately, the excellent integration of GV into Android kinda ties me down to Android.

    I'm wondering if any of you rely on Google Voice for something like this, and manage on a WP7 with a 3rd party application. Personally, I've heard that GoVoice is pretty good, but I wanted to get some input on how awkward it may be to have a set up like that. More specifically, I would need to use GoVoice to make outgoing calls with my GV number coming up on the recipient's caller ID, and I know GoVoice and other apps are capable of this, I want to know if it really breaks the flow of the WP7 philosophy (in terms of the people hub and what not).

    I have no real experience with WP7 so please be nice :)
  2. Judge_Daniel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    713 Posts
    #2  
    First of all, welcome and thanks for the interest in WP. It is nice to see that other people are realizing that it truly is a competitive third option.

    My first experience with WP was with a free Samsung Focus I won from Bing.com. However, the Focus is made for AT&T and I was (and still am) on Verizon. Instead of selling the phone, I decided to use it Wifi-only since my current cell phone was getting really old. I decided to use GoVoice for texting (its typing is much, much smoother than my old phone) and it was pretty much flawless. It had push notifications, it still pushed through contacts, and it Google Voice allowed my texts to be sent to both phones.

    That was last October through early December. I am fairly certain that GoVoice has been through a lot since then, but I am not able to comment on it, since I haven't used it.

    I do know that it has call capabilities, though I am not sure how it works.

    Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

    My app: Plant Guide

    Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.
  3. dtboos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    606 Posts
    Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    #3  
    I came from Android, and still use Google Voice for my voicemail. I love it.

    GoVoice is the app I use, and it works great. Its not quite as nice as the official app on Android, but its good.

    I have it setup to receive all my voicemails dialed to my cell # or my google voice #.

    I do not use it to make outbound calls, but you can. It just requires you to use the govoice app to dial out instead of the native dialer. No big deal.

    Notifications are good, I get a toast (top of screen) notification when voice mail arrives, and the tile updates showing the number of messages as well. If you want to make sure you are always notified when get a new voicemail, you can always set google voice to email you when one arrives. Because every so often the govoice app will have an issue and require you to log out and back in.

    So while its not a perfect app, it functions well enough to get the job done. Mango opened up many API's for devs, and I think Apollo will bring even more, so I expect somebody do develop an excellent google voice app later this year. For now GoVoice serves its purpose.
  4. #4  
    Dell is releasing/has released a free VoIP app. Don't have a google voice account so I can't attest to the quality of the app.
  5. LeoBloom.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
       #5  
    @dtboos: What specifically do you think is not as nice about GoVoice when compared to the official GV app for android?

    Also regarding APIs, do you think that Skype's tight integration into the native dialer of the Windows Phone means that Microsoft will have an API that potentially allows tight GV integration in much the same way? Just curious as I am not a developer so I don't really understand API possibilities.
  6. jalb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    753 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #6  
    I used to use it a lot, but found it to be too much of a pain in the *** on WP. I've reverted to my real phone number, and only use GV for if I happen to want to text from my computer.
  7. LeoBloom.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jalb View Post
    I used to use it a lot, but found it to be too much of a pain in the *** on WP. I've reverted to my real phone number, and only use GV for if I happen to want to text from my computer.
    jalb, what made a pain to use on WP?
  8. dtboos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    606 Posts
    Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoBloom. View Post
    @dtboos: What specifically do you think is not as nice about GoVoice when compared to the official GV app for android?

    Also regarding APIs, do you think that Skype's tight integration into the native dialer of the Windows Phone means that Microsoft will have an API that potentially allows tight GV integration in much the same way? Just curious as I am not a developer so I don't really understand API possibilities.
    The one on Android worked more reliably (it is googles OS after all) and was more integrated into the system.

    I find GoVoice to work well enough. Its first release wasn't so great but its a bit better now.

    I think its possible for API's to be opened into the dialer, but I wouldn't count on 3rd party apps being able to be integrated like skype. They may surprise us though.
  9. Ohgeez10's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #9  
    I use GoVoice on my HTC Radar. App works well. Unless your family or a very close friend, then I usually give out my GV number. So far no issues on my phone.
  10. LeoBloom.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
       #10  
    Ohgeez, what about when it comes to dialing out? Do you ever find it annoying that pinned contacts don't have call through GoVoice integrated? Do you ever find it inconvenient to use the GoVoice dialer to call these people. I haven't had a chance to come up with my own opinion on this yet because I can't get access to a WP7 for a practice run
  11. jalb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    753 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoBloom. View Post
    jalb, what made a pain to use on WP?
    I find the GV app to be very slow, and people would call me and tell me it rang 7 or more times and I would hear one ring, if any. The notifications never worked for me either - it just said +9 on it from day one, even when I made sure every voice item was read. Plus it didn't integrate with the People Hub, so it felt like bolting a kluge on the phone and insisting on using it even though it was not as good an experience as just using the phone the way it was meant to be used. It took a lot of pride for me to give it up, as I was always a real big Google and Google Voice booster before, but eventually I had to admit to myself that while I love the *idea* of Google Voice, with no real integration in WP, it's sort of like taking the long way home if you don't have to.

    I am hoping that the upcoming Skype integration gives us some real options in the realm of competition to Google Voice. In a lot of ways, there is really no other app offering like it.
  12. SolunaKitty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    267 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jalb View Post
    I find the GV app to be very slow, and people would call me and tell me it rang 7 or more times and I would hear one ring, if any. The notifications never worked for me either - it just said +9 on it from day one, even when I made sure every voice item was read. Plus it didn't integrate with the People Hub, so it felt like bolting a kluge on the phone and insisting on using it even though it was not as good an experience as just using the phone the way it was meant to be used. It took a lot of pride for me to give it up, as I was always a real big Google and Google Voice booster before, but eventually I had to admit to myself that while I love the *idea* of Google Voice, with no real integration in WP, it's sort of like taking the long way home if you don't have to.

    I am hoping that the upcoming Skype integration gives us some real options in the realm of competition to Google Voice. In a lot of ways, there is really no other app offering like it.
    I only use GoVoice for texting, and it works well for that, and I like the notifications and that it is a live tile. While it does not integrate with the People Hub, it draws the contacts and numbers from there, so I don't see much of a problem there. JiVoice is another Google Voice client. However certain bugs prevent me from using it to manage my voicemail.
  13. LeoBloom.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SolunaKitty View Post
    I only use GoVoice for texting, and it works well for that, and I like the notifications and that it is a live tile. While it does not integrate with the People Hub, it draws the contacts and numbers from there, so I don't see much of a problem there. JiVoice is another Google Voice client. However certain bugs prevent me from using it to manage my voicemail.
    How exactly do you manage it only for texting? Do your contacts keep two phone numbers for you, one for texting and one for calling? Obviously they can call you via your GV number, but then they would have to have you in their address book when you call from your actual phone number.
  14. gottago's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #14  
    Hi all!

    I hate to bring up a month old thread but I am trying to move from Android to a Lumia 710 and am having difficulty getting goVoice to work properly. I am having text and notification issues. For some reason, when someone sends a text to my google voice number, I sometimes get notified via goVoice but then, sometimes I also get an email and a message in my native messaging app. Text to email is not checked in google voice.

    I have tried to contact the developer but haven't been successful yet and thought someone here may be able to offer some direction/solution.

    Thanks in advance.
  15. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,129 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,269 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Hi all!

    I hate to bring up a month old thread but I am trying to move from Android to a Lumia 710 and am having difficulty getting goVoice to work properly. I am having text and notification issues. For some reason, when someone sends a text to my google voice number, I sometimes get notified via goVoice but then, sometimes I also get an email and a message in my native messaging app. Text to email is not checked in google voice.

    I have tried to contact the developer but haven't been successful yet and thought someone here may be able to offer some direction/solution.

    Thanks in advance.
    They have had a few updates to it. Which version do you have?

    Have you tried Nick's Rumbling and Twitter at @GoVoiceApp
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  16. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    They have had a few updates to it. Which version do you have?

    Have you tried Nick's Rumbling and Twitter at @GoVoiceApp
    It says that GoVoice uses your cell minutes to make phone calls. Is there any app or work around that works like GrooveIP for android? GrooveIP is awesome. Basically allowing unlimited texts and phone calls for free over WIFI or 3G Data.
  17. gottago's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    They have had a few updates to it. Which version do you have?

    Have you tried Nick's Rumbling and Twitter at @GoVoiceApp
    I am using 3.3F. I guess I am a little confused as to why I get email, native text AND goVoice notifications. In fact, the goVoice tile is not updating automatically and the app only updates once I open the app. What am I missing?
  18. Probaholic1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    I am using 3.3F. I guess I am a little confused as to why I get email, native text AND goVoice notifications. In fact, the goVoice tile is not updating automatically and the app only updates once I open the app. What am I missing?
    Well sadly, I think it's more of an issue with m$ not allowing deeper integration with wp7. I also believe that some apps won't update because of the whole thing about having a longer lasting battery life so when the phone is idle it turns off data.

    I use GoVoice with my business number and it is somewhat of a drag, but there isn't much the developer can do unless m$ were to give in a little more.
    Helio>bbOS>webOS>Android>WP
    @Fr33Paco
  19. gottago's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #19  
    So, getting all these different notifications is normal?
  20. jfmanzo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    It says that GoVoice uses your cell minutes to make phone calls. Is there any app or work around that works like GrooveIP for android? GrooveIP is awesome. Basically allowing unlimited texts and phone calls for free over WIFI or 3G Data.
    GV is not and has never been a VOIP service. It's also worthless to the vast, vast, vast majority of the world outside the US. I am lucky to be in the 403 area code (southern Alberta) which due to some glitch is accepted for GV forwarding- you cannot set up GV without it. For that vast, vast, vast majority of the world's population, Skype is hugely bigger news than any GV app because GV doesn't work for almost the entire world.

    We have Skype now- in beta with limitations, but still- Skype.
  21. SolunaKitty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    267 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Hi all!

    I hate to bring up a month old thread but I am trying to move from Android to a Lumia 710 and am having difficulty getting goVoice to work properly. I am having text and notification issues. For some reason, when someone sends a text to my google voice number, I sometimes get notified via goVoice but then, sometimes I also get an email and a message in my native messaging app. Text to email is not checked in google voice.

    I have tried to contact the developer but haven't been successful yet and thought someone here may be able to offer some direction/solution.

    Thanks in advance.
    1) Make sure that the "text to mobile" option is turned off to make it so your native messaging app wont get the messages.

    2) On a browser, go to the Google Voice settings and make sure that "Notify me of new voicemails via text" is not checked under the "Phone" tab.

    3) Under the "Voicemail & Text" tab, make sure that "Forward text messages to my email: " is not checked.
  22. gottago's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by SolunaKitty View Post
    1) Make sure that the "text to mobile" option is turned off to make it so your native messaging app wont get the messages.

    2) On a browser, go to the Google Voice settings and make sure that "Notify me of new voicemails via text" is not checked under the "Phone" tab.

    3) Under the "Voicemail & Text" tab, make sure that "Forward text messages to my email: " is not checked.
    Sorry I didn't update the post but the developer did get back in touch with me and hooked me up. GoVoice is a wonderful app and is working seamlessly now. I am a very happy camper with WP7 and my Lumia 710. I really do not miss my G2 (Android) at all.

    Thanks for your reply.

    Gottago:D
  23. SolunaKitty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    267 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Sorry I didn't update the post but the developer did get back in touch with me and hooked me up. GoVoice is a wonderful app and is working seamlessly now. I am a very happy camper with WP7 and my Lumia 710. I really do not miss my G2 (Android) at all.

    Thanks for your reply.

    Gottago:D
    Ah, glad to hear that! I really like Google Voice because I don't have a texting plan, and it puts them in a visual list (VVM) and transcribes voicemails so I don't even have to listen to them most of the time. I had a problem with it not playing my voicemails for a time, which was solved by logging out of GoVoice, and logging back in (updating did not solve it).
  24. CoyoteTeacher's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Sorry I didn't update the post but the developer did get back in touch with me and hooked me up. GoVoice is a wonderful app and is working seamlessly now. I am a very happy camper with WP7 and my Lumia 710. I really do not miss my G2 (Android) at all.

    Thanks for your reply.

    Gottago:D
    What did the developer do to "hook you up"? Something the rest of us should know?
  25. drusand810's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    #25  
    I just downloaded GoVoice and can't get notifications to work for the life of me

    the app gave me an error setting them up and I followed all of the manual directions and still can't get them to work

    I just get nothing. Can't really use it without notifications so I guess I'll try to get along with one of the texting apps like text Plus or something.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions