There went the last chance for Draw Something on Windows Phone

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, despite the nearly two thousand votes on the petition to get Draw Something on Windows Phone, it looks like OMGPOP, the makers of the app, have had other priorities. Today, Zynga is going to announce that they have purchased OMGPOP for $200M. That really stinks for Windows Phone users, since there has yet to be an app developed by Zynga on the marketplace.

What do you guys (and gals, of course) think about the acquisition?

Sources: All Things D and The Verge.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Has there ever been any info on why Zynga has decided to show absolutely no support for Windows Phone? Perhaps this is something WPCentral can follow up on

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Just came here to post this thread. :(

Sorry, btbam. :(

Has there ever been any info on why Zynga has decided to show absolutely no support for Windows Phone? Perhaps this is something WPCentral can follow up on

Honestly, I don't know why they would. They are already a big name, so market penetration (which is what many devs could use WP platform for) isn't a priority for them. I'm thinking the Windows Phone platform is still just too small for them. Maybe Nokia will change their minds.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Its better for Zyga and other AAA smartphone gaming devs to focus on Xbox live instead rather than on Windows Phone.

The reason I say that is because IMO I think the future of the Windows brand relies all on Xbox Live.

If Windows phone 8 can play Xbox Live arcade titles then developers don't have an excuse to develop for the Windows brand. If a developer devs for Xbox Live instead they have access to a huge market instead of a small growing market with Windows phone.

Imagine Windows Phone & Windows 8 having access to Xbox Live and save games via Skydrive that's going to be an awesome gaming experience.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't really care now if Draw Something makes its way to WP or not as there is no way I'll ever buy anything from Zynga. There's plenty of other games out there to spend my money on instead.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't really care now if Draw Something makes its way to WP or not as there is no way I'll ever buy anything from Zynga. There's plenty of other games out there to spend my money on instead.

Their games are extremely important for casuals that need to be convinced that Windows Phone can do what they need it to. If I could recommend the platform to people without having to add "BUT you won't be able to play <random Zynga game>" then I'd have a bunch more people using Windows Phones.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Since they won't support my phone of choice after having the other types. I won't support them by playing their games anymore.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Its better for Zyga and other AAA smartphone gaming devs to focus on Xbox live instead rather than on Windows Phone.

The reason I say that is because IMO I think the future of the Windows brand relies all on Xbox Live.

If Windows phone 8 can play Xbox Live arcade titles then developers don't have an excuse to develop for the Windows brand. If a developer devs for Xbox Live instead they have access to a huge market instead of a small growing market with Windows phone.

Imagine Windows Phone & Windows 8 having access to Xbox Live and save games via Skydrive that's going to be an awesome gaming experience.

Well. XNA, programing anguage for xbox live games, are supported by XBOX 360, Windows pc and Windows Phone 7. Xbox live games can easely be ported WP7, as kongen as the HW is good enough, and touch controls are possible.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I am honestly just tired of hearing my sister, who I convinced to purchase the Trophy, that she can't play Words With Friends, Draw Something, etc, etc, with her friends at work. I guess it is my fault for not warning her about that beforehand, but I really wanted to be a good WP-advocate. :p

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I am honestly just tired of hearing my sister, who I convinced to purchase the Trophy, that she can't play Words With Friends, Draw Something, etc, etc, with her friends at work. I guess it is my fault for not warning her about that beforehand, but I really wanted to be a good WP-advocate. :p

Wordfeud is on all three platforms, and isn't there at least one more multiplayer scrabble-type game as well? And a version of Duudle is on its way to iOS as well. So, maybe you should use your sister to start an anti-Zynga campaign... :D

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I told her to use Words By Post and to get her friends to get that, too. I just think it is always going to stink that we are going to have the newest trends last--if ever.

KCMike

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This lack of apps is my one big issue with the Windows phones marketplace. I'd love to pick up the Lumia 900 but there are still too many good apps missing. Pandora? Still missing? That's a crime in my book.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I think things may change with Windows 8, though. I doubt Zynga, and the others that have helped turn casual gaming into casual labour, will miss out on the opportunities Microsoft Store will bring to app sales. Since the Metro apps share the development tools with Windows Phone it will be cheaper to port things to the phone as well.

thehappycactus

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there a specific reason companies like Zynga aren't taking Microsoft up on its offer to fund WP app development? It kind of seems like a winning situation for everyone involved. Does analysis show that the money it would cost a company for upkeep of WP apps would be more than the money they'd make on them?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6