Best Running/Cycling Apps ???

bikedogrun

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello all... new to Win Phone. Lots of iPhone & Android experience.

Need an app that has the following:

1. Auto-pause ... for water breaks or other rest stops
2. Audio feedback (can set for every "x" minutes or say 1 mile)
3. If music must be started outside the app first, app must be able to "pause" or lower the music temporarily so its audio feedback of Time/distanced covered/pace can be heard over the music.

Sadly; all the apps I'm finding seem pretty bare bones. One or two do auto-pause and one I found does audio feedback but iis totally drowned out if you're playing music!

On iPhone I used Runmeter/Cyclemeter ... on Android it was Google's own My Tracks.

I'm really enjoying Win Phone Mango (even on my little Verizon HTC Trophy) but this capability is really important for me ... any ideas???

Thanks;
/BD :cool:

erichunt

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Used to use Strava on the iPhone and miss a good alternative here on WP7. I would be curious if anyone has some good choices.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Wobjoi

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello all... new to Win Phone. Lots of iPhone & Android experience.

Need an app that has the following:

1. Auto-pause ... for water breaks or other rest stops
2. Audio feedback (can set for every "x" minutes or say 1 mile)
3. If music must be started outside the app first, app must be able to "pause" or lower the music temporarily so its audio feedback of Time/distanced covered/pace can be heard over the music.

Sadly; all the apps I'm finding seem pretty bare bones. One or two do auto-pause and one I found does audio feedback but iis totally drowned out if you're playing music!

On iPhone I used Runmeter/Cyclemeter ... on Android it was Google's own My Tracks.

I'm really enjoying Win Phone Mango (even on my little Verizon HTC Trophy) but this capability is really important for me ... any ideas???

Thanks;
I have similar requests to bikedogrun as well. So far have found that endomondo is working OK. Does mostly what I need and want. I have also tried sportstracker and found it to be good too. Has a nice interface, but lacking a few of the features that the latest endomondo has given me.

I would say that the average speed calculator from endomondo seems suspect to me. Running 5.2km in 29mins and it tells me my average speed was only about 5.x km/h when I figure if I run 5.2km in half an hour I would be running 10.4+ km in 1 hour. That would mean my average speed is 10+ km/h by my calculations. Not quite sure how it gets my avearge speed at only 5.x km/h. Other than that it seems pretty good.

What I would like is a way to save a running route and be able to use that route each time and overlay previous sessions as I am running.

My old Sony Ericssons had a great built in running app that allowed me to save a route and pick a previous result from a route to use while I was running. It would tell me where I was currently vs any selected previous result. Was a great way to race yourself and see how you compare. You could always see if you were behind or ahead of your time. Often would push me to speed up so that I could try and beat my best time that I would use as reference. Great feature.

bikedogrun

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Try endomondo.
Thanks.

Tried it last week and during a "try-out" fast walk ... it keep pausing while I was moving and then not re-starting after the pause?

Weird because that is the exact behavior I had with Endomondo's android app about a year ago before I switched to something else.

Has anyone actually had the pause/re-start function work properly with this app? Otherwise it looks very nice...

BTW - used ProAktiv - Sports Tracker today on a bike ride and it worked perfectly other than the app does NOT seem to support a pause function and as I was biking rather than running ... didn't have the issue with its audio feedback not being heard over music (music while running; Yes. music while biking; No).

Thanks;

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Runkeeoer used to be available, like until last week. There is a post on their blog on how they dropped support for both symbian and wp7. A bummer and a bit of a concern, if the few "name brand" apps we do have start dropping like flies. I keep hoping wp7 will take off. Worried at times that it's turning into WebOS all over again. Rode that rise till I jumped the burning ship for wp7. Are good things gonna happen? In the meantime, I've been exploring endomondo.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
MS has tons of dough and can wait it out. Remember the carriers are now pulling for WP too.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

bikedogrun

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Try endomondo.

I use runtastic pro. Check it out!!
Are you using the Pro version of Runtastic?

If so, how well does the audio feedback work? can it be set to provide say elapsed time/distance/pace by every 5 minutes or every one mile?

Can it do auto-pause?

Regarding Endomondo, downloaded it again. Says it does auto-pause and provides audio feedback... is that the audio coach setting? Doesn't seem to be a way to set how often the audio coach provides that feedback?? What is its default time interval???

Also - looks like Endomondo plays music from within the app? But it makes its own choices as to which playlist to use? Even when I went into Music and starting playing and then paused a playlist I wanted to hear... Going back to Endomondo it still started the playlist it wanted (which is alphabetically the 1st playlist in my list within Music??? That is weird !!!

Thanks;

purino

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I am using the pro version. It does not provide auto pause but it will give you feedback on pace,distance,calories,time,heart rate. Plus it would let you set the intervals for feedback for time and miles.

bikedogrun

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I am using the pro version. It does not provide auto pause but it will give you feedback on pace,distance,calories,time,heart rate. Plus it would let you set the intervals for feedback for time and miles.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it!

Proaktivo Sports Tracker does those things as well currently and I literally just received email from the dev that he is already working on the next update which "WILL" include an auto-pause function as well as being able to mute music (if playing) so you can hear the audio feedback of time/distance/pace/speed/calories burned etc. Those functions can also be set by distance or by time elapsed.

I was on Endomondo's website this morning and saw many complaints from WP7 users that the auto-pause function just doesn't work at all so given the problems I've had with this app ... Poof - un-installed.

I guess I will use Proaktivo for now and hope the dev can deliver these new featues very soon. Otherwise his app works very well already.

Regards;

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
You may have moved on but Marathon is very good. You can pause and resume, and it has announcements. It also has a history of routes so you can set goals based on previous results.

zedmartinez

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Second for marathon. Tracked almost 2,000+ miles on my bike with it this summer. Not as much gloss as the big apps on other platforms, but very competent and solid.

grugyeah

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm after an app that will run in the background (Start GPS and move to a different app for intervals) that will keep running... so far everything I have found will pause - any suggestions?

Thanks

Grug

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you used to use Strava on the iPhone like I did, there is a basic Strava client out there. It's called "Chaser" and whoo boy is it basic. It allows you to start a ride (or run) pause it, restart it, finish it, and post it or delete it, but not much more. If you like being able to use the Strava features from the web after your ride (or run), this is your best bet as you can keep using the Strava service.

Ski Blackbox

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Bike Blackbox??

Bike Blackbox

It has all the stats tracking you can ask for and it even plots your route on a map so you can see where you've been.

You don't even need wifi nor 3G connectivity to run it

Last edited:

friend68

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Strava asked me to use 'Sports Tracker' for my WP8..since strava will not go for WP8 !! Sucks!! Create a login from Sports Tracker. Then login in your phone to this app. Save the ride. From computer save the ride as .gpx then upload in Strava..!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers