Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Looking for a good twitter app and narrowed it down to these 2...is one better than the other?
    I know there are other twitter apps out there like rowi, carbon, twabbit, seesmic, birdsong and etc but after my own research i decided on gleek or mehdoh (they're both feature rich and FREE)...i just want to know what others have to say about these two specifically. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Why not give them both a go and see which suits your use more? :)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,145 Global Posts
    I've used Rowi and Mehdoh. I've stuck with Mehdoh.
    Lumia 635

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    I liked Mehdoh better than Gleek but ended up with Carbon. ;)

Global Posts
    32,246 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I've never tried Gleek.

Mehdoh isn't bad, but I like Rowi the best.

I use both but I use Mehdoh the most. The one thing I don't like about Mehdoh is that when you turn on the app in timeline you have to scroll up rather than down. If you hit reload right after it populates it will hit from the top. Other than that Mehdoh or Gleek you really can't go wrong both are really good it just comes down to what you like. I like both so I use both.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'd prefer Mehdoh over Gleek. Though the app I most use is Carbon :D
    vp710 likes this.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wRpH View Post
    Looking for a good twitter app and narrowed it down to these 2...is one better than the other?
    I know there are other twitter apps out there like rowi, carbon, twabbit, seesmic, birdsong and etc but after my own research i decided on gleek or mehdoh (they're both feature rich and FREE)...i just want to know what others have to say about these two specifically. Thanks everyone.

Mehdoh, hands down. Even when this app was 99 cents, it was worth every penny (and MOAR!)

The Mehdoh UI is what keeps bringing me back. I like it the best of them all.
    Samsung Instinct>>Instinct s30>>Samsung Moment>>HTC EVO 4G>>HTC Arrive>>Nexus S 4G>>Samsung Focus Flash>>Dell Venue Pro>>Galaxy Nexus>>Nokia Lumia 800>>Lumia 900>>Lumia 920>>Lumia 520>>Lumia 925>>Moto G>>Moto X>>Lumia 1320>>Lumia 630>>Lumia 1520

Global Posts
    2,145 Global Posts
    Lots of various preferences here. I think that's great. It means there's lots of quality Twitter apps for WP7.
    Lumia 635

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Have not tried Gleek, but been using Mehdoh almost since it first appeared. Both developers (have exchanged messages with both) are committed to making their apps as good as they can be.

But as someone else suggested, try both. Back in January, during the Mehdoh misunderstanding (long story, don't ask) I had 6 Twitter apps on my phone for nearly a week and determined that Mehdoh was still the best for me. Take a test drive.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    I've tried almost every Twitter client on the platform, and I keep going back to Mehdoh. My favorite feature is how you can swipe to the side to view an image instead of having to click on a link.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ^This.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorLonghorn View Post
    I've tried almost every Twitter client on the platform, and I keep going back to Mehdoh. My favorite feature is how you can swipe to the side to view an image instead of having to click on a link.
    My 710 is in repair right now but if I remember correctly Carbon shows pics instead of links...

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Gleek is too far out there for me. I appreciate what Liquid Daffodil does, but not personally a fan (I dislike quite a lot of the I'm a WP7 interface, though it's insanely popular for what it is).

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Is anyone able to get toast notifications with the Gleek app? I turned on toast notifications for both apps and only mehdoh responds. Thanks for everyones replies so far!

Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    My 710 is in repair right now but if I remember correctly Carbon shows pics instead of links...
    Yes, Carbon will show some (but not all) pictures in the timeline. Mehdoh swipe works with nearly every type of image service.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorLonghorn View Post
    Yes, Carbon will show some (but not all) pictures in the timeline. Mehdoh swipe works with nearly every type of image service.
    Cool, I'll have to check it out when I get my 710 back.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Ok, so I've played with both enough to make a final decision and in the end Mehdoh won, here's why....

Clean and Simple vs. Flashy and Busy
    Gleek was just a little too busy for me and I really liked the clean and simple look of Mehdoh. I also liked how Mehdoh was well integrated. I liked how I could just swipe across to see my timeline, mentions, messages, friends and followers. I also really liked how each list I made was individually on top as well which made it quick and easy to see. With Gleek, I had to go in and out of tiles. If I was looking at my timeline or mentions but then wanted to look at a list I made, I would have to exit out of the timeline and mention tile then click into the lists tile. I just got tired of going in and out of the tiles within gleek.
    Also, I felt that Mehdoh had smooth transitions as where Gleek was a little laggy and choppy; I think it's bc there's so much animation going on within the tiles of Gleek app but that's just a pure guess.

Toasts
    I noticed my Mehdoh toasts would always work whereas the Gleek toasts never showed up. However, when you turn on the toasts option for Gleek it does mention that you might have to turn off toasts for other apps in order for the Gleek toasts to work. I just didnt like the fact that I had to turn off other toasts options on my other apps when Mehdoh worked perfectly fine without me having to do that.

Links and Pics
    I really liked how mehdoh displays links and pics. If there is a link or pic within a tweet you can swipe across to see the pic or link to a website all within the tweet! It was pretty neat. If there was a link to a website within a Gleek tweet, it would just open up IE. I forget how pics are revealed within a gleek tweet, but I THINK they just pop up within the tweet if Im not mistaken.

Live Tiles
    I actually liked the Gleek Live Tile better than the Mehdoh one. Gleek would show the number of messages and mentions you had even if it was zero, as where Mehdoh wouldn't show you anything till you actually had a message or mention. I don't know, seeing the number zero satisfied me more than having to look at a blank live tile hahahaha. I would also say the gleek live tile would flip more compared to the mehdoh tile.

Overall
    Both apps are pretty similar in terms of what they have to offer with Gleek having a few extra features (gleeks, peeks, ringtones, color codes, etc) but personally for me, those extras just weren't enough for me to keep Gleek. Don't get me wrong, gleek is a real good app and I think if you're a hardcore twitter user you'll like it, but for me, Mehdoh just works.

Thanks again for everyones replies and opinions, I'm glad we have a good and active community here.
    Last edited by wRpH; 06-09-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    Gleek I have not seen the toast notification work myself either.
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    FYI. Mehdoh v2.1 released in Marketplace today. Bug fixes and improvements.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Yup, version 2.1 is out now, got the update this morning. Here's a link to the changes...
    Mehdoh - Social networking (Twitter / Instagram / Facebook) for Windows Phone 7.5

FYI...I believe Mehdoh is free until tomm 6-10-12 and after that it's back to 99 cents.
    http://www.mehdoh.com/news.htm
    Last edited by wRpH; 06-09-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    shehjadi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wRpH View Post

I've played and tried most of the Twitter apps that have come to Windows Phone, each have their strengths and weaknesses and none as yet do everything that I want.

However the best by far is MehDoh, especially since the release of version 2, it even has configurable columns which almost none of the others do and the capabilities of this app are reaching further and further.
    Another great facet is that the Developer is very contactable, listens to his audience and is quick to respond to feature requests if they benefit the app.

All in all MehDoh is far and above the best.

My problem is that I enjoy both. Even though I tend to use Mehdoh more. It's nice because we have two really good Twitter apps here.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Darkside Jackson View Post
    Another great facet is that the Developer is very contactable, listens to his audience and is quick to respond to feature requests if they benefit the app.
    Couldn't agree more. Just check out his twitter.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jabtano View Post
    My problem is that I enjoy both. Even though I tend to use Mehdoh more. It's nice because we have two really good Twitter apps here.
    We really do have good twitter apps on windows phone. Although I picked mehdoh over gleek I still think gleek is a real good app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast