Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Anyone found an audiobook player for WP7? One that works correctly with remembering location, has a decent ability to get files on the phone, and has background audio?

(Please don't post with "I don't know, but I did a search on windowsphone.com and have you tried XXX. I've obviously done that)

There is another thread here where people are venting about the delay for the Audible app. If you have mp3 audiobooks without drm, search for app: AudioBook Reader.

I have not used it. All my books are Audible drm-ed.

if it's not copyright protected you can load it as podcasts

[APP] ElWPAudioBooks: How to listen to audiobooks on Windows Phone 7 - xda-developers

Have you tried overdrive app. It was updated a while back. Not sure what all the update did though.

Yeah, I've tried AudioBook Reader. The method of getting books onto the phone is pretty horrible, and the dev seems to have disappeared, so I was hoping to see another option.

Overdrive doesn't allow you to use your own mp3s.

And Audible... well, it's not exactly widely available.

it's not that bad. i use it all the time.

select the folder.
    name your book.
    choose a cover.
    press "start fake podcast feeder"
    copy the link
    open zune, go to podcasts and press add podcast, paste link.
    it will pop up. choose download all and sync.
    the good thing with podcast is it can remove any chapters you already listened. saving spaces.

i remember overdrive can do it as well. don't remember how though.

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    Hopefully Microsoft Music adds a better way to use Audiobooks. Still have to use my ipod for my own audiobooks.

Quote Originally Posted by greensea View Post
    it's not that bad. i use it all the time.

select the folder.
    name your book.
    choose a cover.
    press "start fake podcast feeder"
    copy the link
    open zune, go to podcasts and press add podcast, paste link.
    it will pop up. choose download all and sync.
    the good thing with podcast is it can remove any chapters you already listened. saving spaces.

i remember overdrive can do it as well. don't remember how though.
    If you can figure out how to do it in Overdrive, that would be awesome. My understanding is that Overdrive only grabs things from the approved library list.

Audiobook reader is great for you, but it's not a very smooth system, especially since Skydrive support would fix most of the problems. I've used it, but the downloads take forever and the whole system is pretty kludgy. Great for pre-Mango, sad that there's nothing better now.

This is my biggest complaint about WP. I can't wait for a solution that is better than making it a podcast.

the podcast way is pretty quick since it just copy the files from your hard drive to where zune stores podcasts. like less than a minute.
    i load them as podcasts. pin to the start screen. one click it'll start where you left off and old files will remove itself everytime you connect to your pc. works quite well.

You won't find an ideal program to play MP3 audiobooks. Some do this, others do that, but they all fall short. The best way is to bring them in as podcasts. It's tricky, but can be done now with the new release of the Windows Phone Desktop App. Basically, just add RELEASETIME meta tags, copy them into your Podcast folder, and then sync. Works like a charm. Here is a detailed writeup on how to do it:

Warren Henke Blog Archive How to listen to Audiobooks on Windows Phone 8 (using the Podcast player)