App for recording phone calls

TrophyGuy

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi there. I've just got an HTC trophy for use at work. Since I am involved in a lot of conference calls, it's handy to be able to use the phone to record calls for minuting.

Had a quick look, but can't seem to find an app to do this. Can anyone tell me how to do it, please.

My wife's work gave her an android phone, and she said there's loads of apps for that.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not available for WP, as recording calls is illegal in many locations. Android does not regulate their app marketplace so you can find recording apps (and malware).

If this is a show stopper, I suggest you try Android.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

TrophyGuy

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Not available for WP, as recording calls is illegal in many locations. Android does not regulate their app marketplace so you can find recording apps (and malware).

Thanks for quick reply.

So (a) how come there was an app for WP6.5 ?
(b) seems everything about WP is a showstopper ... I'll feed it back to the team.

p.s call recording is not illegal in my country.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for quick reply.

So (a) how come there was an app for WP6.5 ?
(b) seems everything about WP is a showstopper ... I'll feed it back to the team.

p.s call recording is not illegal in my country.
I'm not sure about WinMo, but it's my understanding that Android apps get around this by just capturing data directly from the microphone and speaker. Since Android apps can run in the background (unlike WP and iOS), you can use this to record calls.

TrophyGuy

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about WinMo, but it's my understanding that Android apps get around this by just capturing data directly from the microphone and speaker. Since Android apps can run in the background (unlike WP and iOS), you can use this to record calls.
For a second there you almost had me. Until this: Call Recording Apps: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide

which shows the iPhone can easily record calls.

No, let's face it (and flame me to death) Windows Phone is not really very good, is it ?

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Well

For a second there you almost had me. Until this: Call Recording Apps: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide

Well ... you may go through that list of apps more closely. They either need routing your calls through a special service (or merging your call with one through a special service), work only on outgoing calls, or work only for VOIP calls.

Tell me which app on that list just records all calls off your normal cellular phone connection without any further help from third party services.

That's of course no excuse for missing call recorder apps on WP7, but at least it shows that Apple's security policy is about as strict as is Microsoft's for WP7 when it comes to call recording, IMHO.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well ... you may go through that list of apps more closely. They either need routing your calls through a special service (or merging your call with one through a special service), work only on outgoing calls, or work only for VOIP calls.

Tell me which app on that list just records all calls off your normal cellular phone connection without any further help from third party services.

That's of course no excuse for missing call recorder apps on WP7, but at least it shows that Apple's security policy is about as strict as is Microsoft's for WP7 when it comes to call recording, IMHO.
Exactly. I may have been wrong about the reasons that it's not supported but the fact is there's no real solution for recording normal calls on iOS, only workarounds that rely on VOIP or an outside service.

Maybe next time you should read the links you post before suggesting that I'm lying or trying to trick you.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So was that WM6.5 conversation recording app available in the Microsoft App Marketplace? I don't think so. I had an app on my Tilt2, but believe I found it over at XDA.

Why don't you stop bellyaching and put your energy into cooking up a custom ROM that allows you to record phone conversations. And please, let us know how it works out for you.

mtbracer1966

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking myself but I have only been able to find apps that work like a voice recorder... meaning they kind of work if you're on speaker phone.

I would like to make a couple of points about the legality of recording phone calls:
1) It's only "illegal" in 12 states... and my understanding is that it is not so much illegal as it is just not admissible in court.
2) It's a stupid law. You can legally record any conversation you have, with anyone, without their knowledge... as long as it's not over the phone.

jukka from finland

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Quite many are looking for call recording software, my N9 has free and it works
Only handsfree conversation gets messed up.

Nokia should use it's possibility to modify system and provide build in option to
record calls. This recording have helped my life a lot, almost daily I need to check
exact information from the record

It need not to be standard feature, but it would be a killer feature

jukka from finland

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
does not sound good,
"Why don't you stop bellyaching and put your energy into cooking up a custom ROM that allows you to record phone conversations. And please, let us know how it works out for you. "

I'm ready to pay about that feature to Record My Calls, hacking the solution into wp8 is not good solution. It need to come from inside of Nokia or M$

I'm extreamly disappointed and have no what so ever good points in f*cking deny, other than great joy of seeing how M$/Nokia is shooting each others legs while trying to catch other companies in the long run with these mobile devices, if that deny of call recording is true, then I consider that m$ wp8 is doomed

Seems that I need to harvest some N9 to my storage, just because of this and let my 920 to my childs

Narziss70

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Call recording IS LEGAL in many locations: Telephone recording laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW I want to decide which laws I want to follow. I don't need Microsoft to make the decision for me. Ever wondered why most car's maximum speed is higher than the maximum speed limit?

J T7

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Recording a phone call is PERFECTLY LEGAL in most parts of N America provided at least ONE party in the conversation knows the recording is being made. Both parties don't need to know; it is however polite to inform them if you're doing it - so businesses preface many customer service calls with such a warning - and it means they're covered in the few jurisdictions where someone's passed a law prohibiting it. There are a few US states which require both parties to be aware a recording is being made. In both Canada & US, if neither party is aware (wiretapping) only the police may do it, and only with a warrant issued by a judge. Journalists routinely record interviews by phone & need to; it seems all customer service calls begin with a warning that the call is being recorded.

Bottom line: it's perfectly legal for YOU to record what's happening to YOU, with or without a phone. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice: check your jurisdiction. I do interview people by phone for my work and had to check this out to ensure I'd be legal.

So anyone claiming that the utility isn't available because Microsoft is keeping such apps out of the store is probably speaking through their hat: voicing speculation as if it's fact. That said, I'm prepared to hear otherwise if someone can say authoritatively why MS appears to limit provision of such a function. It used to be possible under WP7; it's available on Android & even Apple (iPhone didn't use to do it but probably because the phone didn't really multi-task in past versions - now does). It appears there's no legal issue; is there a legitimate & show-stopping technical one?

Vendediesel

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
This came as a pre-installed feature on the HTC Touch Pro 2 for WinMo 6.1-6.5, integrated into the Touch Flow 3D software that ran on top of Windows Mobile. The record button was built into the UI of the Telephone feature, but it was disabled. A simple registry tweak was all that was needed. It worked great, mic or speaker, quality was the same because it recorded the actual streaming audio into a WAV file, and not the physical sound from the mic or speakers and automatically saved them with date and time stamp info in the "notes" folder on the storage card. Just check the legality of your state first (it REALLY came in handy for me when I used it) where I live it's legal both ways to record calls without consent. It differs between Incoming and Outgoing and from which state to which state. But YES, since I purchased my first WP7 device a few months ago I've been trying to find an app comparable to the old touch flow 3d software, and have been unsuccessful so far. I've tried about every app in the marketplace and they all suck compared to the Touch Flow 3d software as they all only seem to record the physical noise emitted from the phone during a call and not the actual data stream to and from the phone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo