Kindle / zune question

pastornordel

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Im a member here because I'm interested in switching to wp when the new os comes out. Im still a bb user, which has no kindle app for canada. So, today, im trying to show my 83 year old mother that she can have a kindle app on her htc hd7 phone so that she can read her newspaper on her phone if she wants. After some digging around, i see the kindle app in "market place" on her phone. But it wont download. Says that "zune" must be updated. I cant find zune on her phone. So, does she have to open a zune account first? How is zune and kindle connected? Ive tried searching the forum and have googled zune, but cant figure it out. Is it because im in canada that the kindle app wont work?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Barry.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You want to be sure of the version of the OS that's installed on Grandma's phone. If you go into Settings > About > More Info and it's not at least Windows Phone 7.5 (aka "Mango", version 7.10.7720.x), you won't be able to download apps onto it. Microsoft closed the store down to old versions of Windows Phone awhile ago, and even though updates are free, that phone must be on the latest version of Windows Phone.
http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-removing-windows-phone-marketplace-zune-desktop

To update, you must either be using the Mac Connector software on a Mac or the Zune 4.8.x software on a PC - otherwise, the phone OS won't get updated, and you won't be able to download apps on the original rev that shipped on that device. For reference, the latest version of the OS for that phone should be 7.10.8107.79, assuming she's on Bell or Telus (those were the official providers of the HD7 in Canada, if memory serves).

Last edited:

pastornordel

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
You want to be sure of the version of the OS that's installed on Grandma's phone. If you go into Settings > About > More Info and it's not at least Windows Phone 7.5 (aka "Mango", version 7.10.7720.x), you won't be able to download apps onto it. Microsoft closed the store down to old versions of Windows Phone awhile ago, and even though updates are free, that phone must be on the latest version of Windows Phone.
Microsoft removing Windows Phone Marketplace from Zune Desktop | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

To update, you must either be using the Mac Connector software on a Mac or the Zune 4.8.x software on a PC - otherwise, the phone OS won't get updated, and you won't be able to download apps on the original rev that shipped on that device. For reference, the latest version of the OS for that phone should be 7.10.8107.79, assuming she's on Bell or Telus (those were the official providers of the HD7 in Canada, if memory serves).
Bingo. She does not have 7.5. Mango or Tango or whatever! Thanks so much for the help.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If that's the case, you need to connect her phone to a PC or Mac running the requisite software and get it updated. Until then, the marketplace won't work for her phone. Note the update is from quite some time ago, so you may have to update more than once to get it all the way from what I'd guess is likely the RTM build to the latest 8107 build.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99