offline route (gpx import) Navigation

theboo

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

I'm looking for an App supporting offline GPS services (by downloading map meterial up front)

While I have Nokia Drive, I'm not looking for car navigation, but for displaying a preconfigured, imported route (mainly for biking / hiking, so import is mandatory), some kind of navigation would be a plus, but basically showing me where I am and where's my route is all I want.

As far as I know, Nokia Maps wouldnt do that.
I found Outdoor Navigation, but with the last update more than 18 months ago and offline maps being bugged (at least thats stated in the reviews a couple of times) I have the feeling I would regret those 5$

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I use outdoor navigation with downloaded terrain maps from google.

The main complaints that you see are that it takes forever to download maps, which is true for the most part. For hiking I downloaded nearly the whole cascades (in medium quality) which took maybe 3-4 hours (approx 1gb)...but if it's done overnight, it's no big deal for me. It's much quicker if you download small areas. Other than that it works exceptionally well...the beeline tracking works great and it has many useful tools. I haven't regretted spending the money to buy it, and I've been using it for the past 6 months for many hikes. I just make sure to put the phone in airplane mode when I leave for a hike so that the battery lasts for ~10 hours tracking my movement. I also carry a backup battery charger just in case, but I haven't needed it yet. My hikes generally last between 6-8 hours and I've never run out of battery since I've put it in airplane mode. It won't last long if you don't due to it always searching for signal in the mountains and the program wanting to use the data connection instead of offline mode.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes