I've had it with AccuWeather

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The AccuWeather app suddenly refuses to stay on in the background, which means the live tile is useless and never updates unless I open the app. It's been doing this for about a month now. I have no idea what the problem could be. When I go to Settings > Background Tasks, it's always set to "off." The only option I have is to check the box that says it'll turn it on the next time I open the app. So I open the app, it turns on in the background, then always turns off again an hour or so later. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app to no avail.

I know there are plenty of articles and posts about weather apps, but can anyone recommend one that has a reliable live tile that includes current temperature, today's forecast, and severe weather alerts (like AccuWeather live tile used to)?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem with the last version of the WPcentral app. Whatever changed in the last update solved it.

I'm quite fond of WeatherBug. :)

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm using The Weather Channel app provided by Nokia. I'm not sure that the regular Weather Channel app is the same. But the live tile has been rock solid. It give the temperature with a picture and a brief description (mostly cloudy, etc.) of the weather. The back of the tile has a satellite radar image. My second favorite weather app is the one made by Microsoft called Weather. I really like it cause it's super fast to load. The live tile only gives you the weather temperature with an icon depicting the weather condition. But it's very metro-ish and it's lightning fast.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The Weather Channel app was my previous choice before recently changing to WeatherBug. The reason for the switch was purely to do with how accurate the source of information was. The Weather Channel app looks nice, the tile updates are pretty tight, but weather forecasts were often way off. As a result I downloaded around 5 weather apps and went with the one that showed the correct weather forecast for that particular moment. WeatherBug won, but I have to say that I'm a big fan of it's minimalistic presentation and UI. It's quite pleasing to the eye.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Could you possibly have too many Background Tasks open, and AccuWeather is getting forced closed. The magic number is 9 on the L900, but from what I understand that's not the same for every device.

Or, do you ever lose a data connection? I have data and WiFi on 24/7. I have not proven this yet, but I believe the Fox News app only updates over data, and will turn off if only WiFi is available. I noticed this when I was doing some battery tests with data off/on a few months back. It goes off-line often, maybe once or twice a week. None of my other 7 Background Tasks do that. Just something to think about.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the responses and recommendations. Though I'm often on WiFI, I'm in an area with good reception all day long.

The only solution I've found after fiddling around is to set 'Alert Notifications' to off, while keeping 'Live Tile' and 'Location Services' on of course. If I turn on Alert Notifications it shuts off the background task within an hour. Really strange. While I'd much rather have toast alerts (this used to work flawlessly), at least the live tile updates regularly now and stays on in the background. If there's a severe weather notification I'll still see the red and white exclamation mark within the live tile.

neiloutdoors

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Accuweather

I have gone back to Accuweather after discovering Weather View was gobbling data like mad. It's definitely the best free weather application.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99