Nokia ESPN vs ESPN ScoreCenter

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any opinions on which is better?

I'm not really like the Nokia version too much, the tile doesn't update at all for me, any word on ScoreCenter?

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I just moved from a focus s to a Lumia 920. The Nokia ESPN app is light years better than the scorecenter app. No question about it. Though I haven't tried the scorecenter app on my 920, it may have benefited from the dual core speed. Was super sluggish on my focus s.

The live tile on the Nokia app seems to behave a little funky though so far.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Well I just moved from a focus s to a Lumia 920. The Nokia ESPN app is light years better than the scorecenter app. No question about it. Though I haven't tried the scorecenter app on my 920, it may have benefited from the dual core speed. Was super sluggish on my focus s.

The live tile on the Nokia app seems to behave a little funky though so far.

ScoreCenter has major improvements on WP8, you should try it.

I greatly prefer ScoreCenter. For one, the tile is actually rendered at higher resolutions, so information on it is crisp. Secondly, you can change the tile to a wide one if you wish. And then thirdly, I prefer its method of Live Tiles, where I have a separate setting to just select the team I want to show on the tile. (Though it'd be even better if I could pick two or three teams, this is still better than the Nokia app, as far as I'm concerned.)

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

I greatly prefer ScoreCenter. For one, the tile is actually rendered at higher resolutions, so information on it is crisp. Secondly, you can change the tile to a wide one if you wish. And then thirdly, I prefer its method of Live Tiles, where I have a separate setting to just select the team I want to show on the tile. (Though it'd be even better if I could pick two or three teams, this is still better than the Nokia app, as far as I'm concerned.)

Wow, you're totally right. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the Nokia ESPN all sucks, Scorecenter allos you to get to your favorite teams in a swipe, on the Nokia app they are buried in a menu you have to access via a tiny button.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm also disappointed in the Nokia ESPN app. The LiveTile never updates for me.

I'm going to try ScoreCenter for a while and see if it works better.

EDIT: Hmm, I can't download anything from the store, getting an error code 805a01f4.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
They both are bad. I would prefer Nokia's version, if it worked. :/

I can't get to the marketplace either.

It must be down, I'm on windowsphone.com browsing the apps and when I click on any app to get details it just times out.

EDIT: I finally got the ScoreCenter page to load, but based on the latest reviews it seems like a lot of people are having problems with the LiveTile on that app as well. I guess I'll stick with the Nokia version until they get updated.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, Scorecenter seems to replicate the features of the ios/android version pretty well, where the Nokia version is prettier, but more limited. Scorecenter will take me straight to "my teams", which doesn't seem to exist in nokia. Not seeing my teams on the scoreboard makes the app useless, especially since i couldn't care less about the sports ESPN puts priority on.

Having multiple teams on the tile/wallpaper would be a good upgrade. I know in the spring I'll be following the early MLB and MLS seasons, and hopefully the NHL playoff race as well, so there will be weeks where I have 10 games involving 3 favorite teams, as well as other relevant games I might want updates on, and I don't want to have to go to settings to rotate which team shows on the live tile/wallpaper, or be able to see only the one when games are concurrent. Having separate tiles would sort of work, but not for the wallpaper, which I presume is coming in the next update.

brianlg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Neither of the ESPN apps are convenient. Neither have working live tiles, and both can be frustrating. I open ScoreCenter more, because I find it faster to find scores. I hate that I cant find the betting lines before games start like I could on the SC iOS app.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the ScoreCenter app over Nokia's ESPN app, mainly because the Nokia app opens the web browser for a lot of stories, box scores, etc. In addition, ScoreCenter links with my ESPN account, so when I log in my favorite teams are already selected.

The ScoreCenter app's live tile does work, it's just pretty slow. Last night it started showing the Thunder game at 0-0 around the time the game started, but it didn't update the score until almost halftime. In either app, when I get a toast of a game or news alert and click it, the app opens up at the main screen, not the game or news alert, which is bad. Also, there is never any record on the tile of an alert, so if you miss it it's gone forever, live tile or no.

I use the ScoreCenter app for news and such, and then have the SportsScores app pinned to show my favorite teams' upcoming games and scores on a live tile. It works fantastic. You can set the update interval to as quick as every 5 minutes. With wp7 it had a flipping tile with up to 4 teams, but for some reason in wp8 it only allows 2. I'm sure the dev will update it soon.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't like either. I just have favorites in my web-browser for mobile sports sites. I haven't found a solid sports scores app on WP yet that I personally like.

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
It's really frustrating that both the Scorecenter and ScoreMobile app are not available in Thailand. So, for now, I have no method of checking live scores for sports except for using Nokia ESPN which is a huge annoyance to navigate through just to get to my favorite team.

-_-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett