Missing Apps - Don't Just Complain Here, Tell the Company

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I know many who are switching platforms are concerned about the missing well known apps in the Windows Phone marketplace. I've noticed many people complaining, but I'm wondering, is that all you're doing? Complaining on here? Because I haven't even purchased my Windows Phone yet (Lumia 822) but I've already emailed DirecTV and Barnes & Noble (Nook) and a few others about them not having the apps that I want on here to make it clear that I want them to look into doing it soon. I'll continue to do so with others that I find and decide I want. I hope others will do the same. It doesn't take a lot of time, heck, you can probably take some post you've already made here and basically copy and paste it into an email. While many companies might wait to see an improvement in the Windows Phone market share, others may not take that long and it can't hurt to have an inbox full of hundreds of requests to the company/developer also asking for a WP8 app as well to show that there is a growing market to develop for and that are eager for the product.

Also, just to be clear, I understand complaining and venting on here and making a wish list of apps you want. I have one of my own. I just wanted to remind people that they ought to take it a step further and request it from the company as well. I'm a believer that the well known apps will come, but I also think that we can probably speed things up a bit if they notice the demand is a bit more vocal suggesting its not just a small group that are interested. It's worked on other things in the past, it can work again if people are willing to spend a minute here and there every once in a while.

So, as you come up with your Top 5 or Top 10 missing or most wanted apps, take it a step further and send an email to the company or developer on your list so they know there are people interested in their apps coming to Windows Phone.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yep, I try and send feedback emails to various companies that I want to see on WP. The more people that do this, the more likely they will notice (along with market numbers of course) and do something about it. Complaining about apps in a forum won't do anything.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've been posting on twitter the apps I want to see.

I will say, if you are looking for the photo features of instagram, Lomogram is awesome. If the social is what you're looking for, it doesn't do that, but the image filters are way more flexible.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have contacted:

Tapatalk (Support Forum)
Version FiOS for their DVR Manager (Facebook)
Bike Race (email)
HBO Go (Twitter)
Allrecipes for updating to allow login features for recipe box and shopping lists (Twitter)
Amazon MP3 for Cloud Player (Twitter)

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I contacted waze via twitter and all I got was a link to a petition style request log. 4,000 other people requested it already however they are still saying there are "no plans for it" :(
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
what this site should do (or at least the people here) is target a particular company or app a week and bombard them with requests on twitter and facebook.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
what this site should do (or at least the people here) is target a particular company or app a week and bombard them with requests on twitter and facebook.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Get WPCentral behind a vote of the week or something and the winning app get blasted by the community and the site with requests for their app/service on the platform.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Get WPCentral behind a vote of the week or something and the winning app get blasted by the community and the site with requests for their app/service on the platform.

Not a bad idea. Let's put the video services up near the top of the list. HBOGo, ABC, CBS, etc... The excuses they always made for not coming to android were fragmentation and hackability, WP8 having neither of those issues should make it a slam dunk.

And it's not just missing apps, but inadequate as well. Microsoft has some apps that were good for wp7, but deserve upgrades with live tiles for WP8, like their world clock app. Yelp is another one I used on android, where the app is there in WP8, but woefully under-featured compared to iOS and Android versions.