Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 164
Like Tree10Likes
  1. #26  
    Eh. Go Mariners
  2. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,085 Global Posts
    #27  
    I just got a newsletter with a link about next season's MLB.tv subscriptions. Part of it:

    The At Bat 13 offer is available on supported iOS and Android devices only. MLB.TV Premium is not available on Windows Phone devices or Blackberry.
    Watch Live Baseball Online, Stream Major League Baseball Games with MLB.TV | MLB.com: Subscriptions

    So, at the very least, we know that an MLB.tv subscription won't include the Windows Phone version again, and if there even is an MLB At Bat app, it doesn't sound like it'll support streaming games.
  3. #28  
    Yep, once again, they're not going to get my money.
  4. nokialove's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
    #29  
    Yeah, this blows.
  5. Scott McKee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #30  
    I tried a couple times to get any reply or at least let MLB know there are billions (possible customers @ $14.99 a pop) out there that want access to the full MLB at Bat (2013). I also mentioned that they were holding up my purchase of a Nokia 920. I can't get the phone until I'm sure the app will be in the Marketplace. I think they are missing out on some serious cash.
    Below is the BS reply I get:

    Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
    center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.
    Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Phone 8 Compatibility Inquiry
    Discussion Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response Via Email(Shane) - 01/29/2013 06:00 PM
    Dear Scott,
    Thank you for your e-mail. For the most up to date information regarding minimum requirements and supported devices for the At Bat application, please navigate to MLB.com At Bat | MLB.com: Mobile.
    If you have any additional questions, please contact Customer Service toll-free at 866-306-5311.
    Thank you againg for taking the time to write.
    Sincerely,
    MLB.com Customer Service
  6. #31  
    Yeah, the reply I got was something to the effect that my request would have to be handled by the billing department, or something stupid like that.

    Rather than give up a high-quality device because of their laziness, I refused to give them my money. If you tell them "I can't get this phone because I want your service," they won't care. If you tell them "I got my phone anyway, and you won't get my money until I get your service on my phone," it means more. The first statement basically says you're picking a platform they support and you are giving them your money. The second statement says you're not going to get forced into what THEY want, and they're not going to get paid unless they listen to their customers.

    I'm thinking I might send them another e-mail again shortly and remind them that I'm pretty pissed at their decision.
  7. tgp
    tgp is offline
    tgp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,033 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,720 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    Yeah, the reply I got was something to the effect that my request would have to be handled by the billing department, or something stupid like that.

    Rather than give up a high-quality device because of their laziness, I refused to give them my money. If you tell them "I can't get this phone because I want your service," they won't care. If you tell them "I got my phone anyway, and you won't get my money until I get your service on my phone," it means more. The first statement basically says you're picking a platform they support and you are giving them your money. The second statement says you're not going to get forced into what THEY want, and they're not going to get paid unless they listen to their customers.

    I'm thinking I might send them another e-mail again shortly and remind them that I'm pretty pissed at their decision.
    MLB.tv is a business, not a charity. They will direct their resources to where they believe they will get the best ROI. Unfortunately, this does not include developing an app for WP8. They are under no obligation, as far as I know, to provide an app for WP8 users, or even for iOS or Android users for that matter. Why waste the money developing an app for the few (relative to Android/iOS) WP8 users that want it? Most, if not all, WP8 users that are also baseball fans knew that the chance of getting MLB At Bat 13 was slim to none. I don't think it's fair if you decide to go ahead and get the phone anyway and then complain about not having the app. Until MLB.tv develops the app, you will have to decide which is more important to you: WP8 or MLB At Bat 13.

    My 2
  8. FinancialP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #33  
    It's the same story for NBA Game Time. No streaming games.
  9. oufc_gav's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    #34  
    re:streaming of games, i wonder if MLB are not supporting WP for video for the same reason the BBC isn't. The reason the BBC put on their website for lack of an iPlayer app is "Unfortunately, as the Windows Phone doesn't support HLS, Adobe Flash or Air, the formats we use for streaming videos, we can't make BBC iPlayer available on this phone at the moment."
  10. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McKee View Post
    I tried a couple times to get any reply or at least let MLB know there are billions (possible customers @ $14.99 a pop) out there that want access to the full MLB at Bat (2013).[/I]
    I'd like to have MLB for my Lumia, but your point is laughable.

    MLB knows how many WP devices are out there, they know about what percentage of WP owners will buy their app and they know how much it will cost to produce.

    MLB is a for profit, greedy cartel run by men in charge of their own little fiefdom in each franchise city. This group of warlords can smell a dollar from across the river. If there were money to be made from a WP version of the app, there'd be an app.
  11. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    MLB.tv is a business, not a charity. They will direct their resources to where they believe they will get the best ROI. Unfortunately, this does not include developing an app for WP8. They are under no obligation, as far as I know, to provide an app for WP8 users, or even for iOS or Android users for that matter. Why waste the money developing an app for the few (relative to Android/iOS) WP8 users that want it? Most, if not all, WP8 users that are also baseball fans knew that the chance of getting MLB At Bat 13 was slim to none. I don't think it's fair if you decide to go ahead and get the phone anyway and then complain about not having the app. Until MLB.tv develops the app, you will have to decide which is more important to you: WP8 or MLB At Bat 13.

    My 2
    I completely disagree. First off, the development of a Windows Phone 8 app has little to do with the development of iOS and Android apps now, seeing as those apps are finished. If they had to actually stop development on those apps to create a Windows Phone app, you might have a point. That's not the case. The thing is, the GREATEST return on investment (and can people PLEASE use the English language, rather than making every term into an acronym?) is to branch out to all platforms possible. They already have the iOS and Android crowds done, so the next OBVIOUS step is Windows Phone. That could lead to Windows 8 and RT apps as well, where there are many users who could buy into the service (example: my grandma is looking at getting a Surface RT soon, and her husband could get MLB.TV and watch on that).

    Also, what the **** is "fair," in this? It's not "fair," for me to want MLB to create an app? Since I chose Windows Phone, I am obligated to say "it's not fair for me to want apps," shut my mouth, and never let developers know that Windows Phone has a market?

    As to which is more important: Windows Phone, every time. There is no single application on the planet that is more important than Windows Phone to me.

    I keep having to say this, and it's becoming a bother: Why are people saying that it's wrong to want to advance the platform, whether it be by showing off the hardware and software or telling developers we want their stuff? I mean, it's not like I'm saying "MLB, I got a Windows Phone, give me your service for free!" I'm saying "I am on Windows Phone, and I am willing to pay for your service, if you are willing to offer it to me." That's how economic transactions work, I exchange currency for a good. I'm telling MLB that I will exchange currency for their service, and that I will not give them money to not give me the service. What's so wrong about that?
  12. tgp
    tgp is offline
    tgp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,033 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,720 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    Also, what the **** is "fair," in this? It's not "fair," for me to want MLB to create an app? Since I chose Windows Phone, I am obligated to say "it's not fair for me to want apps," shut my mouth, and never let developers know that Windows Phone has a market?
    Maybe "fair" wasn't the best choice of a word, but I do feel this line in an earlier post in this thread isn't fair to MLB: "Rather than give up a high-quality device because of their laziness, I refused to give them my money." It's not because of lack of resources or because they are lazy that they are not making the app. It's because they have calculated that there would not be enough users to make it worthwhile. If MLB thought there was a buck to be made by producing a WP8 app, they would do it.
  13. #38  
    I don't really agree with the first half of the assessment. I doubt they've calculated anything, because I don't think that they've had any legitimate data TO calculate. That's not their fault. However, we DO know that at least a few people have TOLD them that they are interested, based on this thread. I'd bet those things don't ever get properly passed up the chain of command, but rather thrown away and given a canned non-response instead (that's what I got, along with at least one other person). I also don't believe that it's correct that there isn't money to be made because of the shared kernel between the platforms.

    They could probably create an app for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 rather easily, or at least without a lot of additional effort for both platforms. That sort of has me believing that maybe WP doesn't support their streaming method like one person claims. All MLB would have to do is say that Microsoft's got limitations that they cannot reasonably work around in the platform, and I wouldn't have an issue.

    That said, I still wouldn't buy MLB.TV because I want it to use on my phone, and whether it's their fault or not, if I can't use it on my phone, I don't have much use for it at all. I mean, I AM home a lot and could watch on my computer, but I mostly like the idea of watching it anywhere--I can follow along at home via GameDay or a box score just fine. IF the live radio works on Windows Phone's At-Bat app, I might pay the $20 or whatever for that.

    Just a random note, there's the allegation that the next Xbox has multitasking capabilities built in. It'd be sweet to run the MLB GameDay Audio feed on the Xbox while playing a game of MLB 2K, if that was possible.
  14. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    I don't really agree with the first half of the assessment. I doubt they've calculated anything, because I don't think that they've had any legitimate data TO calculate.
    The data wouldn't be specific to WP8, but they know what percentage of users of other platforms bought the app, there is demographic data available for the average WP8 user, and there are people that make a living turning that info into a very good guesstimate of take rate.

    It was me that posted about streaming incompatibility. That's what I was told in a support email. I don't know how accurate that info is.
  15. Squatting Hen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    868 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    #40  
    Well, I will still buy MLB.TV. I live in a different state from where I grew up, and this is the only way I can watch my "home" team.

    There was an At Bat app for WP last year. I hope at least they give us that one. I know it was not the full app, but if it could be done last year, it should be able to be done this year. Now, I won't buy the one for WP at $14.99. I will just use the free version they give to subscribers on Andorid/iOS on my tablet and ipod touch.

    Maybe the person in charge of getting developers to create apps over at Microsoft is not a baseball fan.
  16. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    There was an At Bat app for WP last year. I hope at least they give us that one.
    I was told no Windows Phone app at all, but At Bat 13 is due to be released sometime today. We should know soon enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Now, I won't buy the one for WP at $14.99. I will just use the free version they give to subscribers on Andorid/iOS on my tablet and ipod touch.
    There's the problem for WP right there. MLB.tv is a part of MLB, but it has to be profitable on its own to remain available. If there's no money to be made, they have little incentive to make an app.

    The first year that At Bat was available for Android it didn't even have live audio streaming. MLB Advanced Media said that Android owners were cheap ****s and they didn't think enough people would buy the paid version to make it pay.

    They were wrong about that one, but it was a fairly heavily covered topic in the Android world just a few years ago, and it goes to show their mindset when it comes to platform support.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Maybe the person in charge of getting developers to create apps over at Microsoft is not a baseball fan.
    Or maybe WP doesn't have the strength to twist arms into making apps for WP. MLB wants to make money, if there were money to be made here, they'd be here.
  17. #42  
    Where the "money to be made" has to fall on Microsoft's side. If they can't prove to the us that they will bring us the apps we want then we have invested in a failed ecosystem. Its simple.

    Microsoft NEEDS to start making apps like this a priority. I don't care about Instagram but I saw a sale fail in front of my eyes because a young girl who thought the 8x looked cool asked if they have Instagram. I could care less about app count. But high profile apps need to come to Windows Phone sooner rather than later.
  18. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    542 Posts
    Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    #43  
    MSFT should basically PAY for these apps. Guarantee the revenue.

    Missing apps like this is just killing the platform
  19. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,085 Global Posts
    #44  
    I mean... they must realize the importance of stuff like this (or at least, one of their divisions does). They pushed last year and finally got MLB.tv on the 360.
  20. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,209 Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Petersen View Post
    Where the "money to be made" has to fall on Microsoft's side. If they can't prove to the us that they will bring us the apps we want then we have invested in a failed ecosystem. Its simple.

    Microsoft NEEDS to start making apps like this a priority. I don't care about Instagram but I saw a sale fail in front of my eyes because a young girl who thought the 8x looked cool asked if they have Instagram. I could care less about app count. But high profile apps need to come to Windows Phone sooner rather than later.
    Uhh, no. Microsoft can't force companies to make apps. Even paying them is not enough. These companies have to continue to support the apps even after the initial release, where does that funding come from?

    Its simple, WP has to have a significant market share for a company/developer to invest in making an app.

    It will get there, I'm hoping that the ease of developing for W8 and WP8 at the same time will slowly draw more apps and users. But it takes time. Developing for 2 platforms is already a large investment, let alone 3 or 4.
  21. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,209 Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by red grenadine View Post
    MSFT should basically PAY for these apps. Guarantee the revenue.

    Missing apps like this is just killing the platform
    Killing it? Really? Its the fastest growing platform right now. Its not going to 20% market share and have all apps over night.

    Some of you guys just don't know what it takes for apps that only produce a couple bucks a download.
  22. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    542 Posts
    Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Killing it? Really? Its the fastest growing platform right now. Its not going to 20% market share and have all apps over night.

    Some of you guys just don't know what it takes for apps that only produce a couple bucks a download.
    On a percentage basis, sure it is the fastest growing platform out right now. But you are talking growth on a minute base. Selling 2 phones when you sold 1 last year is 100% growth. On a unit growth basis? We're not even close.

    I've been on the platform since launch in November 2010. It's been 2.5 years and we still don't have Pandora. Or Mint.com. Or a non-beta gimped Skype. Or a Starbucks app. Or a TD Ameritrade app. Scottrade. Fidelity. Wall Street Journal. Economist. Sports Illustrated. Hulu. Instagram has already been beaten to death.

    What does it take for apps that produce a couple bucks? We're not talking about that. We're talking about MSFT fixing a huge, gaping hole in the platform that is dissuading users from adopting it. The platform needs app parity (for at least the key guys mentioned above), and it needs it now.
  23. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #48  
    At Bat is released. Android, iPhone only. Blackberry Z10 coming by opening day.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Board Express Pro
  24. ccmoo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #49  
    Yep, this is a bummer for me, too. I understand it's a chicken-egg sort of thing - Microsoft needs devs to produce apps, and devs need enough WP8 users to show it's worthwhile financially. But the reality is - this has me again rethinking my WP8 purchase. I love my Nokia 920, but I don't love missing a handful of apps that are most important to me. So when renewal time comes, I act the same way as MLB or MSFT or devs, which is to decide if it's worth my while. Microsoft needs to think hard about if it wants to change that for its subscriber base. It can, through partnerships (read: $) that make it worthwhile for devs and orgs like MLB. A commercial with Gwen Stefani is fun, but does it really move the needle?
  25. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    542 Posts
    Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    #50  
    Blackberry will get the app but not us? This is just pathetic.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MLB At Bat 12
    By mt1202 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 08-09-2013, 04:25 PM
  2. How to request MS give Bing Reward points for WP searches
    By gsquared in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2011, 11:26 PM
  3. WhatsApp Messenger for WP 7
    By jgor2000 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM
  4. Open Request to OEM's for WP Devices of the future...
    By hardrock1a in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 09:33 AM
  5. mlb at bat
    By tnvolz20 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 02:12 AM

Posting Permissions