Anyone making international phone calls with Skype (WP8)?

awesomeplant

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just bought Skype credits and I'm trying to call a mobile number in Argentina, but the app says "invalid number" almost instantly after dialing. I'm wondering if there's a problem with the app. It seems strange that there's a country code in the number AND a drop-down of the country code/flag. If I try to enter a number after selecting the country (Argentina, +54), as soon as I start typing the rest of the number, the country flag updates to whatever the first numbers I'm typing are (which happen to be Angola). When I go back to change the flag back to Argentina, it deletes the first digits of the number and replaces them with 54...

Anyone successfully making calls to international landlines or mobile lines with the Skype app? Wondering if the app is failing or me. I've checked the number and it should be correct.

Thank you!

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I'm calling Chile with no prob. Are you calling a cell? I know in Chile all cell numbers start with 9, so you need +countrycode9number

awesomeplant

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just looked and someone said the same about Argentina (needing a 9). I will give that a shot as soon as my next window opens. I appreciate your help. And to be sure, because we're using Skype, we do *not* have to enter the USA exit code at the beginning? (011)? I'm not used to making international calls :)

awesomeplant

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Update: yes... that was definitely the problem. Thank you so much for helping me there! Got to talk to the boyfriend even though his internet is down this week... Yay for Skype (but, no yay for expensive international rate) :/

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think, both.

i have been using mobilevoip for 2 years. Calling cell phones was about 25 cents on skype to most locations I was dialing and then I heard about the latter, which turned out to be around 5 cents per minute - 5 times less.

Landlines are cheap as well, if you top up by some concrete amount, you get free landline calls to many locations and other locations are usually around half a cent per minute.

The downside is, that their windows phone app for some reason has only loudspeaker mode, you cannot use your earpiece, just the damn loudspeaker... But the ios, android versions are fine.

havent tried using the app on Lumia using headset, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills