Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Alright, now that both apps have been updated for WP8, I need help choosing one. I realise as of yet, Amazing Weather HD doesn't have a lockscreen (Weather Flow gets the upper hand here with that beautiful lockscreen), so we'll ignore that for now. Also, in this comparison we'll disregard price. So basically we're comparing live tiles, weather information within the app, and features each provides. Worst case scenario is I end up buying both apps ^.^

Now I pose the question to you: which one of these apps do you use, and why?

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I've tried both, and I'm staying with AW HD for now. Weather Flow is a bit slow when it opens. Lag is quite obvious going from one city to another. Seems to get better once its open and loaded. I have not experienced this with Amazing weather, so I'll give AW and edge for now.

For me, I like the beauty and ease of use for both weather apps. Haven't been able to decide a winner yet in that respect. However, as great as these apps are, Amazing Weather uses Weather Underground for its weather data and I'm not sure what Weather Flow uses. Take away the bells and whisltes and a weather app is only as good as the data it is using. According to Forecast Advisor the forcasters with the best accuracy are usually the National Weather Service, The Weather Channel and Intellicast. Rankings change per locale but these three consitently provide the best forecasts. Weather Underground usually falls in the middle to low accuracy level amongst nine or so forecasters.

I like the Amazing Weather app but the data could be better and Weather Flow is an unknown.

Even though the TWC app could be better, accuracy is more important to me and thats the app I'll stick with for now.
    bawboh86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xFalk View Post
    Even though the TWC app could be better, accuracy is more important to me and thats the app I'll stick with for now.
    Where I'm at I've always preferred anyone's forecast but TWC's, they're consistently off for where I live. Their recorded values are fine, but their forecasts are always potshots. I used WeatherFlow for a half a year and loved its simplicity, and found that the weather where I am was generally spot on for the forecast. I'm trying Amazing Weather ow, and while it's a lot more space on my phone's storage, I rather like it better so far. All of its views are nice, and the amount of weather data shown is surprisingly complete and easy to parse. The only thing I've seen on another app it doesn't have is daily history and averages, which is fun in a trivia way but not immediately helpful to know what to expect on the bike in. AW also has the better use of live tiles of the two. If you want your weather without opening the phone, WeatherFlow wins though, especially with the hourly forecast overlaid on an image of your choice. I'm glad to own both, but if you were only to have one, AmazingWeather is my pick right now.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I think AW and WF both use weather underground because I downloaded the trials of both and they both show the same current temperature and same forecast. I currently use AccuWeather and the Weather Underground stuff is slightly different than what AccuWeather says.

I've also noticed that AW does indeed open much faster than WF in terms of everything being ready to view. I prefer the layout within the app for AW, but I prefer the live tile options for WF. Gonna wait out the trials for both and see which one suits me better.

Neither, I like Weather View.

I emailed weather flow, and they confirmed they use weather underground. So both are sourced from the same location. Down to aesthetics and features...
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
    Thanked by:

Weather Flow has been amazing, new update makes it gorgeous. Lock screen is big for me and I just generally enjoy the layout better. Both apps are very good. Btw the data has been very accurate for where I live from both apps, so a push there.

Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    I prefer AW's live tile and graphics. I'm not a huge fan of the wheat fields and such used by WF. I woke up this morning and unlocked my phone and my lockscreen looked like Green Acres. What I'm doing right now is I have WF doing my lockscreen, but with Bing wallpaper, and the AW live tile on my homescreen. The best of both worlds for me.

That said, I still think WF is an amazing app, and the thought that went into the lockscreen options (different backgrounds, forecast hourly/daily/off) really shows what a great dev this is. I would highly recommend either app.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zfarooq View Post
    Neither, I like Weather View.
    Weather View is an interesting app. But personally I'm not a big fan of the animation used on the "not-metro" live tile (I prefer more realistic looking live tiles to metro ones for weather apps). But otherwise looks like a good app.

Quote Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
    I prefer AW's live tile and graphics. I'm not a huge fan of the wheat fields and such used by WF. I woke up this morning and unlocked my phone and my lockscreen looked like Green Acres. What I'm doing right now is I have WF doing my lockscreen, but with Bing wallpaper, and the AW live tile on my homescreen. The best of both worlds for me.

That said, I still think WF is an amazing app, and the thought that went into the lockscreen options (different backgrounds, forecast hourly/daily/off) really shows what a great dev this is. I would highly recommend either app.
    I agree with the comment about the wheat fields and such. I just think they look strange (especially since it's now December). But I do like the idea of mixing and matching the lockscreen from WF (with either a custom photo or Bing. The options really are nice) with the live tile from AM.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    I would say AW HD is the better overall app. It is faster and has a bit more info. But WF is good, and will be purchasing it. I always like to change things up. So the more apps I have the easier I can change things. :)

Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    Well, my idea of AW live tile and WF lock screen may not be great. Even though I have background tasks enabled for WF, the lock screen hasn't updated since I removed the live tile. I'm giving it until tomorrow, and then I'll put the WF live tile back on my home screen and see if that revives my lock screen.

Simply fell in love AW at first sight:P bought it in 2 sec. Love the 3D animation and live tiles
    Editor

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I would have liked to have seen the "compared to" live tile feature carried over to the wide tile on WeatherFlow. Both are well laid out, good looking weather apps.... and I'd have to give the nod to WeatherFlow simply because I think it has a better out of app experience with the Live Tile and Lockscreen.

The nice thing about it is that both are great apps and you really can't go wrong with either.
    George Ponder
    Reviews Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: george.ponder@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @coppertop004

Global Posts
    3,899 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Well I was trying out the trial of Weather Flow and overnight with data, wifi and location off with weather flow still running in the background tasks somehow I lost 50% of my battery. This is the first time this has happened and Weather Flow is the only app I installed. Did Weather Flow drain my battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    Well I was trying out the trial of Weather Flow and overnight with data, wifi and location off with weather flow still running in the background tasks somehow I lost 50% of my battery. This is the first time this has happened and Weather Flow is the only app I installed. Did Weather Flow drain my battery?
    How often do you have it set to update? Because it pings your GPS for location when it does.

Also, just never understood why people don't charge their phone overnight....
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com

Global Posts
    3,899 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    My battery was at 57% with 2 days left of charge time, so I didn't bank on waking up with just 5% left. Weather flow was set to update every 3 hours but like i say data, WiFi and location were turned off and everything was closed. The only thing that's recently changed is installing Weather flow, so surely that must be the culprit, right?

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I also noticed dramatically reduced battery life after installing weather flow. Removing it now to see if it reverses it or if it was coincidence.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by George Ponder View Post
    I would have liked to have seen the "compared to" live tile feature carried over to the wide tile on WeatherFlow. Both are well laid out, good looking weather apps.... and I'd have to give the nod to WeatherFlow simply because I think it has a better out of app experience with the Live Tile and Lockscreen.

The nice thing about it is that both are great apps and you really can't go wrong with either.
    The compared to feature is really nice. Helps put the temperatures into perspective. I'm leaning toward buying both just so I can show my support for both developers since both have done great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theprawn View Post
    I also noticed dramatically reduced battery life after installing weather flow. Removing it now to see if it reverses it or if it was coincidence.
    Strange, I haven't noticed a drain in battery and I have AccuWeather, Weather Flow, and Amazing Weather all pinned to my start screen and all update every hour. I currently don't have a weather lockscreen enabled, however even when I did have the WF lockscreen enabled, I didn't notice any battery loss.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I use WF on my lumia 920 and i have no battery issues...

sometimes the background task get disabled if I do not open WF for a day... but reopening it fixes everything... i tweeted WF guys and will see what they say about this issue
    Thanked by:

I had it with WF lockscreen enabled. Disabled it to slight improvement. No runaway battery drain.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I've come to the conclusion that (some) battery drain problems are due to the cell radio getting stuck on. Anything can do it, not just Weather Flow. I've had it happen to me after using rowi. Turn the phone off then on again to fix it.

PS - I use Weather Flow. I like the live tile more.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    I like the speed and appearance of Amazing Weather more. However, the lock screen functionality of Weather Flow is amazing. Currently, like others in this thread, I use Amazing Weather for the live tile on my home screen and as my primary weather app with Weather Flow installed for the lock screen.

For all WP fans, first of all thanks for supporting us, it's been overwhelming!
    We are working hard to add more features like the Lockscreen with amazing pictures and choices, also we are going to add new mix and match feature for the live tiles, which we hope you'll like.
    Sorry if we do not reply later, we are quite busy.
    Have a very nice day.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    And with that statement by Ezsoft, I think I will wait for their next update before actually determining which weather app I like better. However I still stand by my decision to buy both because I think developers who put this kind of time and effort into their apps deserved to be rewarded. Because without them we would just have mediocre apps. And now I'll get off my soapbox.

For a more thread related response: I currently have both pinned and I'll see which one I tend to use more over the course of the next couple of weeks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast