Why isn't there a good Timer app?

A_Hel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? I've tried plenty, they're all bad!

I simply wish a timer that would work like a proper timer: I set it, lock the screen, and it's beeps when time's up. So it has to run under the lockscreen and wake the phone up, but so far I haven't find one that do that, for some reasons.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Did you try "Stopwatch" (the one with a black stopwatch icon)? It is a counter and a timer. It also beeps while the phone is locked and time expires. Not sure if it illuminates the screen from standby though.

Last edited:

A_Hel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Actually it's fine if its doesn't illuminates the screen as long as it beeps.

Am I doing something wrong with Timer Beta? It doesn't do that. It's even worst because when I press the home button it doesn't work neither.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I can't find a good kitchen timer app. Features I need:

- Should count up, not down
- Should support 4 to 6 timers running at once
- Should not allow phone to suspend

The closest I've found is "Stopwatch v1.1" by MOCO Development Company, but the lockscreen still pops over the top of it, requiring me to swipe the phone with my grubby hands while cooking.

-E

Edit: Looks like there are more since I last looked, "Cooking Timer Pro" seems to do exactly what I want (only 3 timers though, which is fine). Does what the original poster wants, also.

Last edited:

A_Hel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Timer Beta sucks!

Sometimes it's off by almost 30 seconds, how can you use it as a timer? Sometimes it doesn't even ring at all!

It's amazing there isn't such a basic function on a smartphone.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Supertimer can run under the lockscreen, disable the lockscreen, and supports 3 countdown timers on the same screen. I have not used all these features though, so I make no claim to their true function. Just going by the options screen.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Which would you guys recommend for a guy who needs to time himself at the gym? It's mainly when I do planks. I used to stare at my Android clock app and let the stop watch continue until I was done or switched positions.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Wrist watch is definitely the way forward for the gym. I use my phone for music and my wrist watch for timer/heart rate.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, never been a watch guy. Like I said, only need the timer mainly for planks. I used to just place my android phone out in front of me and observe the timer.

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi A_Hel,

Timer apps are generally OK when you keep them running, the issue lies with when you leave the app, Developers are really limited to what they can do with Background Agents (They run approx every 30 minutes at best) and so this means that you can't get the same experience that you have with Timer apps on the iPhone and Android etc. It is not the fault of the developer usually, it is just they are trying to make the best with the tools available to them.

It is unfortunate and this is actually a topic I have "whinged" about previously, as a dev myself it is something I really want to see embedded into the OS!

Hope that gives you the explanation you wanted!

HD

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, never been a watch guy. Like I said, only need the timer mainly for planks. I used to just place my android phone out in front of me and observe the timer.

Perhaps a Tabata stopwatch/timer would help, or have you already tried some of those that are in the Marketplace?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers