why PrePlay (sports app dev) won't develop for WP8

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I had/have the PrePlay MLB app for my iPod touch, and emailed it's developers because I wanted to see if they would develop for WP8. Here was their response

"Thanks for the kind words! At the moment we have our sights set on expanding to Android, and we will be doing that for our NHL app in the next few weeks, and MLB PrePlay for Opening Day 2013. Once we finish that we will turn our attention to other platforms and possibly other sports, but I can't say for sure right now if that will include Windows Phone or not. I know they're not exactly cheap, but if you can invest in an iPod Touch 5th Generation, you'll be able to enjoy all the PrePlay apps. To stay up to date with what's going on at the company and what we're working on, make sure to follow us on Twitter (@PrePlaySports). Have a good night."

I know there is a $99 annual fee for developers, how does this compare to the App Store and Google Play? Either way, I found it interesting to see that developers are hesitant to develop (allegedly) because of WP's fees, you'd think WP would change that

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Where did they say anything about it having to do with development fees? They said that the iPod isn't cheap. They probably just don't want to invest the time and effort into adding a third platform when they're just now working on a second one.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Where did they say anything about it having to do with development fees? They said that the iPod isn't cheap. They probably just don't want to invest the time and effort into adding a third platform when they're just now working on a second one.

I took their words as saying that developing for windows phone isn't cheap, but now that I look back on it, you are probably right lol :amaze:

DTSDude

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Same price for apple, and apple takes the first $100 you make on any app. Oh and the apple SDK can only run on Macs so that's a pretty big hidden cost if you don't own a pc from their ecosystem (cheapest Mac mini refurb I saw was like $600).

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Same price for apple, and apple takes the first $100 you make on any app. Oh and the apple SDK can only run on Macs so that's a pretty big hidden cost if you don't own a pc from their ecosystem (cheapest Mac mini refurb I saw was like $600).

then it only frustrates me more that developers still aren't developing for WP. It's truly making me lose faith in our OS

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Might they be a small dev with limited resources?

Not that it's good excuse, but I am probably the smallest type of dev around, a one man team that only has time to code around my day job and life in general. I always target the OS I'm currently using. I do have apps on webOS, iOS and now 1 on WP7, but every time someone sees my Beer Knurd apps, the next question is usually, when are you making an Android version. I always have to sigh and say, sorry, I don't currently have plans to dev for Android.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Might they be a small dev with limited resources?

Not that it's good excuse, but I am probably the smallest type of dev around, a one man team that only has time to code around my day job and life in general. I always target the OS I'm currently using. I do have apps on webOS, iOS and now 1 on WP7, but every time someone sees my Beer Knurd apps, the next question is usually, when are you making an Android version. I always have to sigh and say, sorry, I don't currently have plans to dev for Android.
it's very possible that they are a small dev, but my loss of faith is from a combination of seeing that many dev's haven't/aren't developing for WP, and noticing that MLB announced today that they will have a Blackberry 10 app....and BB10 isn't even out yet!! we are an afterthought, if one at all