Recommend a good news app?

fernandogonzalez

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Love the Microsoft news app on windows 8 desktop, very sleek looking with powerfull images, but haven't found anything like it on wp8... Any suggestions?

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
DW (Deutsche Welle) - German News (in English or German)
USA Today - Colorful and Good
SwitchNews - Great simple news reader much like the old Android HTC news reader
Fox News - Fair and Balanced - unless you're liberal, in which case it's Pure Evil
CNN (Cable News Network) - Good app, spoon fed news for those who prefer it that way.
The Gaurdian - UK centric news
WSJ Live (Wall Streeet Journal) - Great business news, but only a middling UI.
BBC News - Also UK centric, but good international news
Drudge Reader (Drudge Report) - Don't use this is you are a progressive. Could lead to a different point of view.

Two Standouts

Weave - Excellent news reader. The premium price treats you to mobile-optimized and super-fast content. A tough one to beat.
Zite - One of the best cross-platform topic aggregators/personal magazines ever (loved it on iPad, love it on WP8 too).

Now if FlipBoard could make a WP8 app, my life would be complete.

Last edited:

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
USA Today just did an app update and put a refresh button at the bottom. Finally. It's the best designed news app. I also went to Google News in Internet Explorer and saved that page and pinned it to my start screen. It looks like crap, but Google News is up-to-date and you can expand the stories if you want. Also, people may not know that if you go to the Search button (Bing), and swipe left, you can get the Bing News headlines.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
As far as the left vs. right news organizations, it's not hard to recognize that they are actually all progressive networks designed to keep us divided, and blinded, while the establishment continues to grab more power for themselves. I haven't found one unbiased news source. It sucks.

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
DW (Deutsche Welle) - German News (in English or German)
USA Today - Colorful and Good
SwitchNews - Great simple news reader much like the old Android HTC news reader
Fox News - Fair and Balanced - unless you're liberal, in which case it's Pure Evil
CNN (Cable News Network) - Good app, spoon fed news for those who prefer it that way.
The Gaurdian - UK centric news
WSJ Live (Wall Streeet Journal) - Great business news, but only a middling UI.
BBC News - Also UK centric, but good international news
Drudge Reader (Drudge Report) - Don't use this is you are a progressive. Could lead to a different point of view.

Two Standouts

Weave - Excellent news reader. The premium price treats you to mobile-optimized and super-fast content. A tough one to beat.
Zite - One of the best cross-platform topic aggregators/personal magazines ever (loved it on iPad, love it on WP8 too).

Now if FlipBoard could make a WP8 app, my life would be complete.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want ton pay for apps or can't and hate ads, Nextgen Reader is pretty good. it shows articles mobilized, and uses way less data than weave. And the trial has no ads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise