Weatherflow and Glen Echo, USA

Mark Rozanski

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
OK, this is getting a little ridiculous. Glen Echo keeps popping up as my location, I am in Detroit MI. Any other GPS assisted App on my phone registers correctly. Again, this morning, Glen Echo, USA has popped up. I really like the app as the live tile actually shows the weather at my locvation, not just some locations I chose in advance, Anyone else having this happen?

mbranscum

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
I get the same city and state as you're getting. I am in Jonesboro, Arkansas. All other GPS app work correctly on mine too.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
OK, this is getting a little ridiculous. Glen Echo keeps popping up as my location, I am in Detroit MI. Any other GPS assisted App on my phone registers correctly. Again, this morning, Glen Echo, USA has popped up. I really like the app as the live tile actually shows the weather at my locvation, not just some locations I chose in advance, Anyone else having this happen?

Motown! Off-topic but what do you do there? Is it as bad as everyone says? I feel like it gets too much bad publicity...I was looking into working for one of the big three there.

Mark Rozanski

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
THe "D" is a great place to work. All three auro companies are hiring, I work right on the riverfront, in the GM Building. Quite a bit to do downtown, thought most of the people live outside of the city. Look for Royal Oak, Troy, Rochester Hills I live here). Also some nice area out to the west ( West Bloomfield, Birmingham, Orchard Lake).

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
It's an AT&T network bug that seems to pop up from time to time. It has nothing to do with the device or the app.
From what I have read, that seems to be the issue and what I have communicated previously, as well.

However, I got curious and did a google and bing search on this (gps "glen echo" AT&T) figuring if it were a network issue, it would pop up on Android or iOS as well. Both searches resulted in only hits for WP7/8 issues related to GPS putting folks in Glen Echo in error.

Sometimes it is in Washington, sometimes Ohio as well based on previous searching and my own experience.

It would seem that there is perhaps some hard-coded default location(s) that results in these location errors.

iOS and Android likely have other means for handling GPS connection issues that put them in other random locations, but WP seems to default you to one of these random locations.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read, that seems to be the issue and what I have communicated previously, as well.

However, I got curious and did a google and bing search on this (gps "glen echo" AT&T) figuring if it were a network issue, it would pop up on Android or iOS as well. Both searches resulted in only hits for WP7/8 issues related to GPS putting folks in Glen Echo in error.

Sometimes it is in Washington, sometimes Ohio as well based on previous searching and my own experience.

It would seem that there is perhaps some hard-coded default location(s) that results in these location errors.

iOS and Android likely have other means for handling GPS connection issues that put them in other random locations, but WP seems to default you to one of these random locations.
I found this thread on Android Central. Apparently, AT&T does have bugs with Android devices that show location other than where it should be, just not these locations. http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-inspire-4g/134457-gps-showing-wrong-location.html

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
If anyone wants to know the weather in Glen Echo I can help you out. Stupid GPS thinks I am there again today. This happens a few times a week for me. Way, way too often.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I stopped using weather flow due to this bug. Amazing Weather HD doesn't seem to have this issue.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

tpitts15

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but if you open Nokia Maps, the location dot will be on your last known location, most likely somewhere near where you actually are; it will then disappear for 3-5 seconds before jumping back to where I actually am. I was curious and clicked the jump to me icon (bottom left) while the dot was gone and guess where my map zoomed out and and zoomed back in on!, none other than Glen Echo! After about 5 seconds it jumped back to me in College Station but upon closing and reopening i can repeat the error every time. My weather flow app also sees this error from time to time, during which time the app is rendered useless to me (my lockscreen fills up with glen echo weather). I just soft reset my phone (it froze on me - thanks to words with friends) and upon booting back up it immediately had glen echo as the location. Not sure if the soft reset had anything to do with it but it's a hunch b/c I had not seen the problem for at least a month previous to the soft reset. Very frustrating error that not only makes an app useless but bothers the minorly OCD side of my brain that wants my phone to know exactly where it is at all times.

Braumin

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Just stop using Current Location as your location. Do a search for the city you are in, and pin that out to your start screen.

I think there is a feedback link in the app as well you could send this to the author.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Just stop using Current Location as your location. Do a search for the city you are in, and pin that out to your start screen.

I think there is a feedback link in the app as well you could send this to the author.

It's the phone and ATT, iPhone doesn't have that problem, but Lumia will believe whatever ATT tells it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's the phone and ATT, iPhone doesn't have that problem, but Lumia will believe whatever ATT tells it.
I haven't seen folks in Canada, India, UK or any other country that doesn't have AT&T have any problems with Nokia and location.

T-Mobile and VZW Nokia devices in US don't have that problem either. It's only AT&T.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12